Gf Living In The Uk/thailand

If my Gf and i marry next year, and we obtain the correct visa......... she lives in the uk with me for 5 - 10 years. If we decide to go live in thailand, does she automatically become accepted again or does she have to apply for visa same as me? Does she have dual nationality? Sorry stupid question i know but how does it work if we decide to live in los after 5 - 10 years? And what if we have kids by then? Are they british citizens if born in the uk even if mother is thai? Would they need visas?

Hi BS,

If you marry your g/f and get her a settlement visa for the UK then she will be given entry on her Thai passport for 2 years. At the end of this time she would have to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK. Once she has held ILR for 1 year she can apply to be naturalised as British and get a British passport. Both the British and Thai governments recognise dual nationality. Your wife-to-be would not require any permission to return and live in Thailand because she would still be Thai. If you were to have children born in the UK then they too would have an entitlement to both British and Thai passports.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Cheers scouse.

Still waiting for the embassy to call Gf back. She went for visitors visa a week two days ago now. Was number 146 even though she got there early. Was told to leave stuff and await phone call for interview date. Still waiting..........

Whats doing my head in is i am struggling to get an airline to hold my ticket any longer, without me having to pay, because if she doesnt get it i will not becoming to back to thailand december it will be Feb. And with the Xmas rush everywhere is selling out of tickets or they are raving expensive. If she gets the visa after she has told them her intended date for going to the uk was 17th dec and retuning 17th feb. And i cant get tickets......... Is it the amount of days she is granted that count or the dates she states at her interview. I understand the six months thing, But would she still be ok to come to the uk say on feb 27 - apr 27th still staying 2 months??

But i wont know, until she has revieved the visa, as after she comes out, i call travel agencies, get 2 flights or not then she will know the exact dates. Could she call the embassy after and inform them of change of dates or would she have to go and interview again? or would it be ok just to go ahead and stay for the same amount of days?

On the assumption that your g/f gets her visa it will be valid for a 6-month stay in the UK from the date it's issued. Let's say it was issued today. Your g/f would then be able to travel to the UK once, anytime between 22/10/04 and 22/4/05 and stay in the UK until 22/4/05. If she asked the visa officer to post-date the visa for 3 months it would be valid, using the same example, from 22/1/05 until 22/7/05, so she could then go to the UK on 22/1/05 and stay until 22/7/05.

The application form does ask the applicant to include a date they expect to travel to the UK but don't worry about this as the embassy will not penalise your g/f if her interview is not until after her expected date of departure or her plans have changed because of the wait.

I was under the impression that the embassy undertook to contact an applicant with an interview date within 5 working days and that they do it by post although they may back this up with a phone call. If your g/f hasn't heard anything soon I'd contact the embassy.

Scouse.