Laos To Cambodia Overland

wayfarer108

I'm traveling to southern Laos next week, and plan to continue on to Cambodia, ie, Voen Kham to Stung Treng. For anyone who has done this recently, any tips on making the crossing? I know at other border points into Cambodia there are various visa fee and transport scams, hoping to avoid anything similar at the Stung Treng crossing.

Also debating whether to spend the first night Stung Treng or Kratie. Opinions appreciated.

Thanks. :o

I'm traveling to southern Laos next week, and plan to continue on to Cambodia, ie, Voen Kham to Stung Treng. For anyone who has done this recently, any tips on making the crossing? I know at other border points into Cambodia there are various visa fee and transport scams, hoping to avoid anything similar at the Stung Treng crossing.

Also debating whether to spend the first night Stung Treng or Kratie. Opinions appreciated.

Thanks. :D

I ain't been down that way since 2004 . . . however I know not much has change the crossing still isn't an official crossing point for foreigners. So it's hit and miss for how much you'll need to pay in 'overtime' to get across.

The only real way to get from the border from all reports is by boat which from the reports I've heard is even worse than the speed boats in Laos and frequently breakdown.

In the end after talking to many folks who had done the journey I decided I couldn't be arse to do it and returned to Vientiane and flew down to Siem Reap . . . and after spending a few days Cambodia I was very glad that I didn't have to spend more time in the place that I needed! :o

Thanks. :o

the crossing between laos and cambodia is .........lets say in the middle of the jungle. There is a wooden shacks on both sides where the immigration is and nothing more!! I think you must have a visa as they don't issue any at the border but I'm not sure about it. Best would be you get your visa at the cambodian embassy in Vientiane

It will be hard to get any transport ifrom the border into strung treng, when i crossed the border about 4 weeks ago I was alone at the border !!

It depends where you wanna go in cambodia. If you heading to Phnom Penh you could make it in one day. The street is good...compared to other roads im cambodia I would say its very good !!