Are You Embarassed To Admit....

Loosescrew

All my family and friends know i live in pattaya,and i couldnt give a flying efff if bad things are said on tv in the uk.thats the only way most people here about the bad things,just like the uk with all its problems.

my aunty has been here twice and loves it,as a couple of female friends from the uk and one lives here now.awaiting my brother and wife to come over for the first time but the problem i will have is taking them somewhere that doesnt smell of thai food and garlic,they are typical english eaters.they will complain more of the pavements than the bars.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With its seedy rep, increasingly violent and sexual crimes, do you always admit you live and/or visit Pattaya? Have you ever said you are from Chonburi? Bang Sare? Sattahip? Other?

I'm a proud Pattayan but I also admit I'm addicted.... :D

no im not ashamed, except if im on line looking for a freebee :D if u meet a thai girl on line not a girl of ill repute and you tell them you live in pattaya you have less chance of a freebee, so then im from nong prue banglamung :o

Pattaya is a cool city like no other in the world where two worlds coexist side by side. It has great hotels, resturants, nightlife, and attractions. I did the nightlife for awhile but got bored with it and fortunatly there was more to it than just the sex tourest stuff.

Why should I be embarrassed. Why would I care what people thought

Pattaya is a cool city like no other in the world where two worlds coexist side by side. It has great hotels, resturants, nightlife, and attractions. I did the nightlife for awhile but got bored with it and fortunatly there was more to it than just the sex tourest stuff.

Why should I be embarrassed. Why would I care what people thought

Like what? great beaches?

Edited by plasticpig

I lived 12 years in Pattaya, 7 of them in what is now termed "The Dark Side" (east of sukhumvit), and never ever gave it a thought when describing where I lived either to Thais or expats.

Nowadays I have moved on but still return to Pattaya every time I vacation back in Thailand and when anyone asks where I am going or been I tell them Pattaya.

Why should anyone be embarrassed admitting where they live? Life is too short to worry about the thoughts of narrow minded, predujiced little jerks.

To admit I live in Pattaya and love it is the easy part. How many people then admit where and when they met their wife in Pattaya :D

My 87 year old mum does not understood the geography of Thailand so never asked :D

Not many would admi :D t that surely. My 95 year old grannie recently said that people in Thailand lived in mud huts.

I met my wife in Pattaya :D , In a bar also. :o

I know its off topic, but maybe we should start a thread of our own (maybe not!). I told all my friends in the UK, but none of my relatives - none of their business. My nephew was quite interested, as he came to Pattaya once before he was married. We had a short talk about it and I think he knew the bar where my wife worked! That conversation was getting a bit awkward so we changed the subject :D By the way he has no problem saying he came to Pattaya and he would love to come back again, but this time with his wife and family.

Edited by dsfbrit

Well I only live in Pattaya about 25% of the time and 75% in Bangkok. But I am not shy about my residence in Pattaya.

What I do notice, however, is that my THAI friends are the ones that "change the subject" when I talk about Pattaya.

My male Thai friends from Bangkok, Chaing Mai, etc., won't even visit Pattaya/Jomtien because appearing with me (farang) causes them to be viewed (and treated) like money boys by waiters, hotels and store clerks.

Most are middle-class Thais with university education and really don't like that.

There are a few who don't care one way or the other but only a few.

I just say, oh well, Pattaya is what it is.

I proudly say I live in Sin City. :o When I get the blank :D look I say Pattaya, then after the second blank look I say about 140km south east of Bangkok.

Not too many have heard of Pattaya, so I explain it has a reputation for sex tourists in small area but it also has some other places that are nice too. This way, for the folk heard of "the reputation we are supposed to be ashamed of" I have covered that and explain that I live a little out of town in a regular area. Having lived and worked in a couple of touristy areas before most people I know understand the glossy brochures do not cover the real world.

You have to admit, there's something bad about the Karma in that city.

for sure! i don't enter the city often but whenever i have to i see this Karma chap hanging around. i think he owns a bar at Beach Road :o

The other thread on katoeys, sums it up doesn't it? If you are in Pattaya, then obviously it doesn't matter to you, and you can remain the butt of everyone's jokes. My Thai friends look down on any farang from Pattaya and have special terms for them, all of which refer to varying types of perversions and criminality.

In Phuket we worry about manly events such as the odd mugging and how the evil doers should be beaten. In Pattaya it seems that its all about falling off balconies, where the next cheap meal can be found and the variety of entertainment personnel. In the west, Pattaya is synonymous with a modern Sodom and Gomorrah. I suppose it's better than being identified with inbreeding.

That's my smug perception. (Yea I know, Bangla Rd and the Paradise ghetto for elderly obese males that craves small hairless males in Patong aint nothing to be proud of, but shhh it's a secret.)

I agree that the westerners who live in Pattaya often have a bad reputation among the Thais. Two weeks ago we went on a school trip to Sattahip and I was cornered by some of the Thai teachers at a local school there. They were short of native English teachers. I thought that this was strange considering they were so close to Pattaya, but they said that they wouldn't consider offering the job to anybody living in the Pattaya area. A bit sad I know.

I agree that the westerners who live in Pattaya often have a bad reputation among the Thais. Two weeks ago we went on a school trip to Sattahip and I was cornered by some of the Thai teachers at a local school there. They were short of native English teachers. I thought that this was strange considering they were so close to Pattaya, but they said that they wouldn't consider offering the job to anybody living in the Pattaya area. A bit sad I know.

why sad? i'd call it "plain stupid". it shows the educational level of those Thai teachers :o

Edited by Naam

To admit I live in Pattaya and love it is the easy part. How many people then admit where and when they met their wife in Pattaya :D

My 87 year old mum does not understood the geography of Thailand so never asked :D

Not many would admi :D t that surely. My 95 year old grannie recently said that people in Thailand lived in mud huts.

I met my wife in Pattaya :D , In a bar also. :o

hehe ok ting tong just 1 more night :D

I tell the truth ,i say i live in Jomtien .Most people in the West have never heard of it :o

Ditto, here. I say "Jomtien." If I see a spark of recognition I just smile a bit. If there is a totally blank look, I say "Just south of Pattaya." If still no spark of recognition, I say "About a two hour drive south-east of Bangkok." If they don't know where Bangkok is, why are they even asking? :D

And, I *do* really live in Jomtien. Rarely do I go into "Central Pattaya". I usually go for weeks going no farther north than Thepprasit Road, and then only to get my hair cut or visit Tukcom center (usually in the same visit). Between Tesco on Sukhumvit, Food Mart, and shops and restaurants in the Jomtien Complex area, I have little need to visit the core of Sin City.

With its seedy rep, increasingly violent and sexual crimes, do you always admit you live and/or visit Pattaya? Have you ever said you are from Chonburi? Bang Sare? Sattahip? Other?

I'm a proud Pattayan but I also admit I'm addicted.... :o

I have to be grateful to Pattaya for getting me to Thailand in the first place. Now......

.... now I think it is where the worst of the East meets the worst of the West. It is a rich feeding ground for the lies and deceit that form the foundation of the Thai girl/Farang guy relationship horror stories. I have been happy renting the 'other side' of the Sukhamvit Road and have enjoyed the Thai culinary delights of Third Road and the back streets where many Farang would not be seen dead.

However, I now find the main Soi's boring and I fear that the increasing greed of the girls will eventually back-fire as the rising prices (across the board) push some the old regulars to other developing countries.

After a couple of years it is time for me to move on. Pattaya is not Thailand (in fairness it does not profess to be, it has been happy to be dubbed Blackpool with sex - and sun !) and Thailand has so much culture and beauty on offer.

I would also be the first to admit that without finding a girl in Pattaya I would not have been introduced to the "REAL" Thailand.

I have to be grateful to Pattaya for getting me to Thailand in the first place. Now......

.... now I think it is where the worst of the East meets the worst of the West. It is a rich feeding ground for the lies and deceit that form the foundation of the Thai girl/Farang guy relationship horror stories. I have been happy renting the 'other side' of the Sukhamvit Road and have enjoyed the Thai culinary delights of Third Road and the back streets where many Farang would not be seen dead.

However, I now find the main Soi's boring and I fear that the increasing greed of the girls will eventually back-fire as the rising prices (across the board) push some the old regulars to other developing countries.

After a couple of years it is time for me to move on. Pattaya is not Thailand (in fairness it does not profess to be, it has been happy to be dubbed Blackpool with sex - and sun !) and Thailand has so much culture and beauty on offer.

I would also be the first to admit that without finding a girl in Pattaya I would not have been introduced to the "REAL" Thailand.

All well said, but the real Thailand gets you to become complacent and drop the guard you had up in Pattaya, now fast forward 15 years and see who has what.

Bet you would be totally financially fcuked if the relationship brakes down.

It could be a good idea to stay around the pattaya area you know as you can always take short holidays all around Thailand, too see the real Thailand. I’m not saying its all bad but don’t get lolled into believing its all milk and honey in the real Thailand.

After all, if it all goes wrong,, whos going to come and help you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oink Oink!!!!!! :D

All well said, but the real Thailand gets you to become complacent and drop the guard you had up in Pattaya, now fast forward 15 years and see who has what.

Bet you would be totally financially fcuked if the relationship brakes down.

It could be a good idea to stay around the pattaya area you know as you can always take short holidays all around Thailand, too see the real Thailand. I’m not saying its all bad but don’t get lolled into believing its all milk and honey in the real Thailand.

After all, if it all goes wrong,, whos going to come and help you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oink Oink!!!!!! :D

I think you have got it wrong. From what I've heard, from many people both Thai and western, you are far more likely to get cheated in Pattaya than anywhere else. Now while you might feel that this toughens you up and makes you a bit more street wise, I would argue that this is a strange logic. I have lived in Thailand a six years and, other than once being overcharged at at a garage, I have never been cheated. I have also never lived in Pattaya. I don't see how living in Pattaya would make things any easier for me. You talk to many ex-pats from Pattaya and it often sounds like they are under seige and that their life involves huddling in bars or staying in their house with their Thai wife. They seem far more isolated from the Thai population than ex-pats in other areas of Thailand. Of course this is not true of everyone there. But this type of behaviour, in my view, would make people far more likely to be cheated, robbed, or attacked.