Fresh Water Diving

MekongCombat

Is there any fresh water diving in Thailand? Having spent some time in central Florida and diving some pristine lakes in the south of the United States I enjoy the different atmosphere of fresh water. I have never heard of any fresh water diving here in Thailand and cant find anything on the net either. Possibly it does not exist as there are many issues with the water including liver flukes and other parasites. Possibly its just not at all popular because the sea is so close and inexpensive.

Any answers to this are greatly appreciated, till then its back to the swimming pool and odd trips to the sea.

can't say for the rest of Thailand but Khao Sok (??) has some fresh water diving in the reservoir there and there is reputed to be an intact wat at the bottom that you can dive - if you can find it :o

For further info i suggest you contact Andrew of Ocean Zone Divers as O know that he runs trips there from Phuket.

There is also some fresh water / cave diving in the lakes in Kanchanaburi. I think the company is Blue Whale and they used to be around Sukhumwit 70 -something! They are tecchies and wear dry suits as they go quite deep.

If you really want the info PM me and I will try to find their contact details.

Thanks for the responses, I had a look around the web and still have not seen anything much. Not really into the cave diving thing although I have studied tech diving, even had a rig 10 years ago when I lived in Key West. It sounds so silly to be located in Thailand and dreaming about diving in Florida but Florida has it all, Gulf, Ocean, Springs, The Keys, killer wrecks, Tech, and Spear Fishing. If anyone hears about anything else post it or send me a PM, thanks again.

It sounds so silly to be located in Thailand and dreaming about diving in Florida but Florida has it all, Gulf, Ocean, Springs, The Keys, killer wrecks, Tech, and Spear Fishing.

That's because the diving in LOS is, in fact, crap. I'm also a cave diver if anyone wants to put an expedition together somewhere...

I've just been on holiday in the Kanchanaburi area and spent 3 nights in Sanklaburi close to the 3 pagodas pass. It is located on a lake with a maximum depht of 180m. We took a boattrip to a sunken temple, which at that time was not completely underwater. The captain of that boat said that there is a group of divers coming for 2-3 days of diving there every year. Around this wat there is rests of the old village and he said it's about 30m deep in this area. Also he told me about a cave on the other side of the lake. Might be quite interesting to dive there. Although the Cheow Lan reservoir would be closer from Phuket.

I've just been on holiday in the Kanchanaburi area and spent 3 nights in Sanklaburi close to the 3 pagodas pass. It is located on a lake with a maximum depht of 180m. We took a boattrip to a sunken temple, which at that time was not completely underwater. The captain of that boat said that there is a group of divers coming for 2-3 days of diving there every year. Around this wat there is rests of the old village and he said it's about 30m deep in this area. Also he told me about a cave on the other side of the lake. Might be quite interesting to dive there. Although the Cheow Lan reservoir would be closer from Phuket.

Very interesting. Could you estimate or report the viz?

• 2 months later...
I was thinking about the same lake when I saw the topic header. The water is very clear, you can see from the surface a couple of meters deep without problems. Would love to dive there...

Ok, I dug some stuff out from my Archive, Who is interested in planing a trip and having a go at this? I am told one temple at 50m and another at 110m.

I was thinking about the same lake when I saw the topic header. The water is very clear, you can see from the surface a couple of meters deep without problems. Would love to dive there...

LOL.

Did my cavern at Thong Pah Phum on the lake there. If you decended more than about 15m, it turned into a brown slurry with a viz of about 0.5m. No coral, boaring fish......... dont know what the attraction is.

If i had a death wish, i could see the attraction of cave diving in the Yukatan(?) ( mexico ) with crystal clear water - seen some amazing pics.