Fila Brasileira Dog Breed

I have Googled and read a lot about this breed that I never heard of before my wife convinced me that we need one to guard our house (1 rai country area). I did stupid thing bought dog first then studied about it. It turns out that this bitch (dog, not wife) will out weigh her by maybe 2 times. I have read a lot of info but wonder if there is anyone out there that can swap stories with me on what to do and what not to do. Bitch is about 10 weeks old and aclimated fairly well with my other 5 dogs on the property. (3 min pins, 1 Yorkie, 1 Maltese.) The other dogs don't even scare the local cats away much less a intruder so we needed something.

I like Filas, but must admit I know only two. They look scary and are biiiiiiig, but the are adorable and sweet. Only thing: they slobber a bit... Also, if you have kids I can imagine some problems as long as the pup is still not fully grown and up to much mischief. She will surely scare the "visitors" off your farm, both by her size and the deep bark. I wish I had enough space for one.....

Thanks that is encouraging I hope she turns out as sweet as the owner claims she will. As far as slobbering I have had other dogs that slobbered but I no longer wear a suit and tie, only shorts and t-shirt or golf shirt and have to change 2-3 times a day anyway.

If you want a guard dog you've got one now! I'm pretty sure the Fila is still banned in the UK, as well as Australia and several other countries. From what I've read and been told, they bond very well with their family or pack, but do not like strangers, so much so that they are not disqualified from the show ring for showing aggression to the judge. I think they were bred to be used on isolated Brazilian farms, hence there aversion to strangers.

I've never seen one, but know a guy who owned a Fila. He felt it more than lived up to it's reputation, so it may pay to do a bit more research and see what efforts are needed to make sure you're a responsible owner.

Thanks that is encouraging I hope she turns out as sweet as the owner claims she will. As far as slobbering I have had other dogs that slobbered but I no longer wear a suit and tie, only shorts and t-shirt or golf shirt and have to change 2-3 times a day anyway.
Filas are beautiful well mannered dogs, and take about 3to 4 years to mature, they are very slow,in learning, just teach her slowly in playing to sit , stay,come and walk at heel lots of praise and encouragement when she does something right, the only way to train them as a watch dog is by letting them out nights with a little terrier who barks at everything at night, she will soon learn to do the same I trained a couple for a family in germany in the 80,s the hardest part of the training was to teach them not to drag the couch out of the lounge into the garden :o Nignoy

Filas are large heavy-boned dogs. They are usually quite loyal to their own family, but have a natural aversion to strangers. These dogs tend to be highly territorial.

In many countries they are, or nearly are, on the dangerous dogs list. And that is not for nothing.

It certainly is a breed that needs intensive socialization through positive experiences, strong but gentle authority and education, which includes obedience training, should start NOW through positive reinforcement.

The Fila is a breed only for those who are capable to authorize it, quite similar to the other guard dog breeds.

Nienke

Hi guys well this thread got me really interested, I phoned the people who I trained the Filas for, they are on their second pair of filas and they have also bred off this pair, they adore them and they are a great favourite with the downs syndrome children in the hostel , In my opinion the reasons for filas having a rep as an aggressive dog, they are naturally protective, and irresponsible people trained them hard when they were too young!! creating a literally uncontrollable killing machine in later years when the dog reached maturity.if they were easy dogs to train like labradors or german shepherds , there would be more of them in close protection work!! there is no such animal as a dog that does not bite :o if you have a big block of land, lots of patience and time on your hands a fila is a good choice, to often I witness posers with their my dogs bigger and nastier than yours attitude coming a cropper when their ill trained mutt turns on their family, just my advice in closing, the right time to think about getting rid of your dog is about 6weeks before you buy one!!! :D Nignoy

they adore them and they are a great favourite with the downs syndrome children in the hostel

From what I have read Nignoy, they're are protective with close family (their pack) but aggressive with strangers. I should think a children's hostel is the last place they should be.

"The Fila Brasileiro is an excellent estate guardian and cattle dog. It does not hide its aversion to strangers, consequently these dogs are not disqualified from the show ring for showing aggression to the judge [1]. Their faithfulness to family and friends is legendary, but this breed is not for everyone. The Fila needs a confident, experienced owner who can properly curb the breed's natural aggression towards strangers. Because of its aggression, it is not well suited to busy households which have many guests. Such aggression is instinctive in Filas, so much so that the Brazilian breed standard advises show judges not to touch the dog. [2] However, the FCI standard allows for disqualification of very aggressive dogs. Few Filas will attack for no reason, but none will be friendly with strangers."

on the dangerous dog list in israel; required spaying or neutering, not to be owned by under 18 yrs olds., etc... probably not a good dog for someone who has never had a dog, or a big /working dog...

bina

Hi guys well this thread got me really interested, I phoned the people who I trained the Filas for, they are on their second pair of filas and they have also bred off this pair, they adore them and they are a great favourite with the downs syndrome children in the hostel

I get the feeling form your posts that these people are very responsible, know and, as you said, adore their breed and put the time and effort into the necesssary care and education of their dogs. And most probably they are also capable of properly authorizing them.

Unfortunately, many Fila owners aren't like them.

In my opinion the reasons for filas having a rep as an aggressive dog, they are naturally protective, and irresponsible people trained them hard when they were too young!! creating a literally uncontrollable killing machine in later years when the dog reached maturity.if they were easy dogs to train like labradors or german shepherds , there would be more of them in close protection work!! there is no such animal as a dog that does not bite :o

Although, you are absolutely right that there is no such thing as a dog that can't bite, there are certain breeds that are more reactive and can bite more easy. And there are breeds that bite and hold, making the damage often way bigger. These are also the breeds that aren't suitable for all people, especially those people who purchase such a breed for the wrong reasons and for those who just by nature aren't very authorative.

IMO people who are thinking of purchasing such a breed should ask themselves honestly: 'am I and are my family members capable of raising and keeping such a dog'.

And the education of the dog should start at very early age or as soon as the pup/dog enters its new household, provided that it will be done through positive reinforcement plus keeping track with the speed of learning that the dog is capable of which differ from breed to breed and even within the breed.

Fila's can absolutely be wonderful dogs, if in the right hands. But I've also met Fila's that, although good with their own family were highly aggressive with any strangers and any other animal.

Nienke