Looking For An Exclusive Place For Dinner In Bangkok

Erap

Hi there

Sorry if this question has been asked before - It's just always good to get some new ideas... I am looking for a nice place to have dinner in Bangkok for a couple. My budget is up to 4000 Baht for the two of us (with another 2000 Baht for drinks). My preffered location is around Silom, though anywhere will do. So where do you think we should go? Your advice would be highly appreciated!

Thank you

Erap

There is many very good restaurants around the Silom aria, but it depends on what kind of food u prefeer...

If u like superior sea food i would suggest you go a bit farther up on Rama 3 and visit Bang Klang Nam...

Edited by Fun2Fun

Hi there

Sorry if this question has been asked before - It's just always good to get some new ideas... I am looking for a nice place to have dinner in Bangkok for a couple. My budget is up to 4000 Baht for the two of us (with another 2000 Baht for drinks). My preffered location is around Silom, though anywhere will do. So where do you think we should go? Your advice would be highly appreciated!

Thank you

Erap

What are you looking for ? Thai / Western / Seafood / Steaks etc

There are loads of nice places but some will depend on what you are looking to eat.

Edited by EmptyMind

Isn't there a nice Italian place that's relatively pricey somewhere on Saladaeng?

I was trying to remember its name, too, but can’t. Starting with a Z, I believe.

--

Maestro

The Normandie in the Oriental hotel.

Absolutely agree. Everything about the Oriental Hotel is first class, all the staff from the front door through are polite, friendly, and efficient.

Lord Jim's for the buffet lunch is great.

Isn't there a nice Italian place that's relatively pricey somewhere on Saladaeng?

I was trying to remember its name, too, but can’t. Starting with a Z, I believe.

--

Maestro

Zanotti - one of Bangkok's best Italians, and usually very busy.

Le Banyan French Restaurant in Suk soi 8 is my favorite romantic spot - about 4,000 baht including a couple of drinks.

Yes, I second Vertigo on top of the Banyon Tree, very impressive views and very good food. Plan to spend 300 baht per cocktail, they usually arrive at your table a little 'weak" so if you like your drinks strong, request it before hand. A dinner cruise down on riverside is also nice (weather permitting) :o

I was trying to remember its name, too, but can't. Starting with a Z, I believe.

--

Maestro

Le Banyan French Restaurant in Suk soi 8 is my favorite romantic spot - about 4,000 baht including a couple of drinks.

Was Zanotti established by the Italian chef who left Limoncello in Soi 11 about 2 years ago?

If so, he was a nice bloke even if he is a Roma fan.

Edited by damocletian

It would appear to me he is looking for recomendations to Sirocco at the State Tower.

TH

not if he wants to spend 4 k for a couple he isn't. besides the food is nowhere near the quality of the view

For food only, view not anyhting to rave about, but oh so good food...try Cyan at The Met Hotel. Series of small dishes, and many foodies including a few famous chefs rate this as 'up there' quality wise; 4k easy peasy might even get a glass or wine or two for that.

Italian - Zanotti SalaDaeng, Gianni southern style Italian food, Caldarazzo Langsuan all good. None particularly expensive; italian food you'd struggle to get to 4k.

Sirocco and Vertigo strictly for the views; food ok, 4000b might not be quite enough.

Baiyoke is 500b a head buffet and a bit average IMHO, certainly don't go there for the food (or any buffet for that matter) but great view.

Steak could consider the Landmark Hotel used to be called The RibRoom now I think called RRM or something like that; great view and food. Also good for steak is Fireplace Grill at Intercon/Holiday Inn Ratchaprasong. A lot of people like the place in the Marriot; for me I think rather average.

For Thai food the outdoor dining at Oriental and ShangriLa both good; wouldn't have thought 4k would be enough to dine at Normandie.

Seafood a ton of places to choose from; most missing atmosphere. Thai ditto; good food and western style atmosphere don't really go together e.g. cabbages and condoms I consider the food to be almost as bland as eating english boiled muck, but foreigners love the taste and the atmosphere is pretty good.

I like the buffet on the riverside at the Oriental, it fits your budget

Normandie can be more expensive although they have special promotions in the rainy season

the food at Vertigo was a little below my lofty expectations...

Edited by orchis

There is many very good restaurants around the Silom aria, but it depends on what kind of food u prefeer...

If u like superior sea food i would suggest you go a bit farther up on Rama 3 and visit Bang Klang Nam...

Our favorite restaurant. To the OP, reservations are a must.

I must've read 100s of comments on Vertigo over the years, both here and elsewhere. None have said the food was good, and in fact most commented on the bad food.

At the price they charge, how hard can it be to produce a nice tasting meal? :o

--

Maestro

Zanotti is great, and as Steve mentioned, not very expensive at all for what you get, which is a top class restuarant. I know the owners, and have been there a couple of times for work. Each time, the low prices always amaze me!

And Le Banyan. Yeah, great place as well. You may be able to scrape through for 6K for food plus drink. Depends on how much you drink though!

I was trying to remember its name, too, but can't. Starting with a Z, I believe.

--

Maestro

Was Zanotti established by the Italian chef who left Limoncello in Soi 11 about 2 years ago?

If so, he was a nice bloke even if he is a Roma fan.

All three - Limoncello pizzeria, Zanotti restaurant and "Vino" opposite Zanotti - are all owned by Gianmaria Zanotti and do consistently fantastic food. If you like thin crust pizzas, you will LOVE their pizzas. Also try the baked in salt fish at Zanotti - its' not so expensive and unbelievable.

Vino's is a smaller, more intimate venue with live music, winebar and cigar smokers paradise! - and again, great Italian food.

IMO, Zanotti is pricier and more formal than Limoncello - which is more of a family style pizzeria, or for going with a group, or a couple. Vino's is nice for relaxing and more intimate if you are not very interested in people watching as much. For Zanotti & Vino, you should book especially on a Fri & Sat nites, otherwise it's difficult to get a table. Nb Vino is closed every Sunday!

To the OP, I will also second 'Ban Klang Nam' for tasty seafood. You can also get them to collect you by longtail boat I believe if you wanted an extra touch!!

Enjoy wherever you dine! We have some truly tremendous high quality restaurants and, best of all, you do not always have to spend shedloads of dosh! :o

Edited by Andiamo

For food only, view not anyhting to rave about, but oh so good food...try Cyan at The Met Hotel. Series of small dishes, and many foodies including a few famous chefs rate this as 'up there' quality wise; 4k easy peasy might even get a glass or wine or two for that.

Italian - Zanotti SalaDaeng, Gianni southern style Italian food, Caldarazzo Langsuan all good. None particularly expensive; italian food you'd struggle to get to 4k.

Sirocco and Vertigo strictly for the views; food ok, 4000b might not be quite enough.

Baiyoke is 500b a head buffet and a bit average IMHO, certainly don't go there for the food (or any buffet for that matter) but great view.

Steak could consider the Landmark Hotel used to be called The RibRoom now I think called RRM or something like that; great view and food. Also good for steak is Fireplace Grill at Intercon/Holiday Inn Ratchaprasong. A lot of people like the place in the Marriot; for me I think rather average.

For Thai food the outdoor dining at Oriental and ShangriLa both good; wouldn't have thought 4k would be enough to dine at Normandie.

Seafood a ton of places to choose from; most missing atmosphere. Thai ditto; good food and western style atmosphere don't really go together e.g. cabbages and condoms I consider the food to be almost as bland as eating english boiled muck, but foreigners love the taste and the atmosphere is pretty good.

a good lay of the land steve, with the exception of the Fireplace Grill. the last time i was there i couldn't find a single wait staff, including the manager, who could tell me where the meat came from. if i'm paying 2000 baht for a piece of meat, i'd want to know its breed, where it came from, how long was it aged, what it was fed, they couldn't even verify if it was graded USDA prime, choice or select. as it turned out, i was underwhelmed by the meat. a place that specializes in steaks should at least be able to tell of its origins, i find the lack of info highly suspect. its a make-belief steak house for people who just want to be impressed with the ambience.

Edited by thedude

Last time I was at Le Normandy it was 17,000 baht for my wife and I, but thats with a bottle of Rose' Still it was a DAMMMM good meal. The service was insane, I confided to the matrodie that I was taking my wife to Paris for our honeymoon and he gave me"Le' Grand Table's of Europe" a hard back book listing all the best French restaurants in Europe. We never felt so pampered in our lives and the food was better than the 2 Grand Table restaurants we hit in Switzerland & Paris.

I would also Suggest the new spot below Sirrcco on the 52nd floor called "The Breeze" It just opened up and the food and deserts are OUTSTANDING, and the view is awsome.

It would appear to me he is looking for recomendations to Sirocco at the State Tower.

TH

That’s a great choice but it is actually much higher than 4000 a diner for two. Romantic though, the best view of the city, but during weekends a bit too crowded in the bar area, if you make it there I highly recommend to do it on a week day.

:o

Le Normandie, never spent less than 12-14K. Sirocco cheaper but still out of budget. Vertigo, well I figure it was named for the feeling you get when your presented with the bill for such indifferent food. I can think of a couple of Japanese restaurants that are way, way up there and superb value but don't think the OP was looking for Japanese.

Must admit that my favourite, and certainly if I were visiting Bangkok and wanted to soak up the atmosphere would be Yok Yor Marina, nothing to do with money, 10% of Le Normandie , but the river views and the life upon it are supreme. That to me is what Bangkok is about. And if you want to spend your 4K plus then the lobster is as good as you will get anywhere else at twice the price...

Le Normandie, never spent less than 12-14K. Sirocco cheaper but still out of budget. Vertigo, well I figure it was named for the feeling you get when your presented with the bill for such indifferent food. I can think of a couple of Japanese restaurants that are way, way up there and superb value but don't think the OP was looking for Japanese.

Must admit that my favourite, and certainly if I were visiting Bangkok and wanted to soak up the atmosphere would be Yok Yor Marina, nothing to do with money, 10% of Le Normandie , but the river views and the life upon it are supreme. That to me is what Bangkok is about. And if you want to spend your 4K plus then the lobster is as good as you will get anywhere else at twice the price...

Would also recomend Yok Yor Marina. Go to the Riverside Mall and they will send a boat to take you across.

You can get by with 4k at Siricco, you just can't buy any wine or drinks (not that I have ever been able to that) :o

TH

a good lay of the land steve, with the exception of the Fireplace Grill. the last time i was there i couldn't find a single wait staff, including the manager, who could tell me where the meat came from. if i'm paying 2000 baht for a piece of meat, i'd want to know its breed, where it came from, how long was it aged, what it was fed, they couldn't even verify if it was graded USDA prime, choice or select. as it turned out, i was underwhelmed by the meat. a place that specializes in steaks should at least be able to tell of its origins, i find the lack of info highly suspect. its a make-belief steak house for people who just want to be impressed with the ambience.

That's not good!

I used to get a pretty hefty discount at FPG, so it ended up around 1/2 the cost of any other steak place. And I don't eat US beef so never have asked any of these questions.....

As a steak expert then where do you recommend?

Hamilton

Madison

NY Steakhouse (I was a bit underwhelmed there myself)

Landmark

?

Let me add one to the list that I haven't tried, and I'll check it out. :o