Good Books On Health?

awakened

Don't know about you but I enjoy a good book and with so many available on different health subjects I'm interested in what other members read and would recommend. I apologise if I'm the only one :o

Was there any particular book that gave you a 'Eureka' moment? ('The History of Wart Removal' is unlikely to rank).

Pray tell...

My favourite (at least this week) health book is 'The China Study' by T. Colin Campbell. Why? Because not only does it cover nutritional advice in a way you may not have heard before, it gives some alarming insights into how the industry operates. He discusses the major illnesses of the day.... heart disease, cancers and diabetes. To him the causes (and the solutions) are very simple...

...Breakfast, dinner and tea :D

Here's a better description http://www.thechinastudy.com/about.html

The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine by authors Murray and Pizzorno.

I've found this book very helpful. Yes, it's on the naturo-pathic ways of preventing and treating many, many, ailments, but it also describes lifestyles and factors that can cause them and gives specific info on good and bad test result numbers when you check your blood, for example.

Forget the rest, buy the best: 'Essentials Of Human Diseases And Conditions' by Margaret Schell Frazier & Jeanette Wist Drzymkowski.

840 pages of everything that can go wrong with the body in text, diagrams and real life colour photographs.

Hypochondriacs: Don't even consider glancing at this hefty tome and the squeamish should avoid Chapter 15 'Trauma'.

Magic, medicine & quackery by Eric Maple

The Medical Messiahs - A Social History of Health Quackery in Twenthieth ( 20th ) Century America by James Harvey Young

Medical fakes and frauds (The Encyclopedia of health) by Susan K Gilbert

Health Fraud: A Medical Dictionary, Bibliography, And Annotated Research Guide To Internet References by Icon Health Publications

Guide to the American Medical Association Historical Health Fraud and Alternative Medicine Collection by Arthur Wayne Hafner, James G. Carson, and John F. Zwicky

The Health Robbers: A Close Look at Quackery in America (Consumer Health Library) by Steven Barrett and William T. Jarvis

The Medical Messiahs - A Social History of Health Quackery in Twenthieth ( 20th ) Century America by James Harvey Young

Health Fraud: A Medical Dictionary, Bibliography, And Annotated Research Guide To Internet References by Icon Health Publications

Guide to the American Medical Association Historical Health Fraud and Alternative Medicine Collection by Arthur Wayne Hafner, James G. Carson, and John F. Zwicky

The Health Robbers: A Close Look at Quackery in America (Consumer Health Library) by Steven Barrett and William T. Jarvis

A man with sense

Here is a list of 41 books on quackery and health fraud - some of our readers will still believe the quackery books though and probably swear by them and how it saved/changed their life

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/books/health.htm

Edited by Prakanong

A man with sense

Here is a list of 41 books on quackery and health fraud - some of our readers will still believe the quackery books though and probably swear by them and how it saved/changed their life

Oops! The same Steven Barrett who a California Court called "biased and unworthy of credibility"?

http://www.whale.to/a/barrett.html

Allopathy is the main source of 'quackery' in medicine and yet Barrett's site 'Quackwatch' does not mention one occurrence. I hope the other books are a little less discriminatory.

...'some of our readers will still believe the quackery books though and probably swear by them and how it saved/changed their life'

Great. Those are exactly the books I'm interested in. Why so dissmissive of other's genuinely held beliefs? Hardly likely to win hearts and minds. :o

The industry should fess up and call 'quackery' by its proper name... Competition. :D

"A man is eminent as long as he is orthodox. When he begins to think for himself he becomes a crank."

Dr Walter Hadwen, MD.

The industry should fess up and call 'quackery' by its proper name... Competition. :o

Oh, but it just goes without saying you see that science and reason always have been, and always will be, in competition with ignorant or misguided but comforting beliefs in magic, superstition, and the various other forms of mysticism. Nothing at all new there.

And in enlightened countries today no modern-day Galileo need "confess" in favor of some hocus-pocus for alternative medicine practitioner meal tickets.

At the same time, though, such countries do permit you to enjoy your freedom of religion, as long as you don't harm others, for example, by witholding needed medication from your kids (cf. http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/28/prayer.death.ap/).

Yawn.

The industry should fess up and call 'quackery' by its proper name... Competition. :o

At the same time, though, such countries do permit you to enjoy your freedom of religion, as long as you don't harm others, for example, by witholding needed medication from your kids (cf. http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/28/prayer.death.ap/).

Yawn.

You seem tired. How about an inspirational book? :D

ABSTRACT

A definitive review and close reading of medical peer-review journals, and government health statistics shows that American medicine frequently causes more harm than good. The number of people having in-hospital, adverse drug reactions (ADR) to prescribed medicine is 2.2 million.1 Dr. Richard Besser, of the CDC, in 1995, said the number of unnecessary antibiotics prescribed annually for viral infections was 20 million. Dr. Besser, in 2003, now refers to tens of millions of unnecessary antibiotics.2, 2a

The number of unnecessary medical and surgical procedures performed annually is 7.5 million.3 The number of people exposed to unnecessary hospitalization annually is 8.9 million.4 The total number of iatrogenic deaths shown in the following table is 783,936. It is evident that the American medical system is the leading cause of death and injury in the United States. The 2001 heart disease annual death rate is 699,697; the annual cancer death rate, 553,251.5

Taken from the online book Death by Medicine Click for details

More info on Death by Allopathic Medicine Click for details

Before one can start to understand health issues, a thorough understanding of how the body (in its healthy state) works is essential.

Recommedn starting with a simple and clear book on Human Anatatomy and Physiology. There's one by the "for Dummies" folk (no offense intedned...I own a number of those type books myself).

Before one can start to understand health issues, a thorough understanding of how the body (in its healthy state) works is essential.

Recommedn starting with a simple and clear book on Human Anatatomy and Physiology. There's one by the "for Dummies" folk (no offense intedned...I own a number of those type books myself).

Good tip. Having worked in I.T. for many years I was forever coming across the Dummies books, they were a great intro for 'newbies'. I was also forever coming across enthusiastic amateurs who knew just enough to get themselves into trouble.

Bit like me on here. :o

A man with sense

HEAR HEAR! :D

enthusiastic amateurs who knew just enough to get themselves into trouble.

Bit like me on here. :D

Indeed! :o