Non O Possible?

LOL, Wouldn't it be true that half of these posts would not be here if the Government just made it easier for people who simply wanted to live here and spend money a lot easier.

I'm not talking about huge Companies etc but this forum is full of pple who just like it here and would like to live here and spend money here that is new money as far as Thailand is concerned.

Probably a totally off topic post and the roots to most of the other posts. I have no opinions really but it does amuse me as to why they make it so difficult.

No country have their borders wide open so also with Thailand. However I agree with you regarding people who want to live here and can show a stable income from abroad. This country could make a lot of tax money if they had a decent and structured immigration and integration plan.

Completely agree with you,Felt 35,we can only hope that the Thai Immigration Policy will change for the best.In the meantime complaining in the Forum is our only respite :o

You obtain a non immigrant single entry visa if you qualify for extension of stay and have 21 days or more remaning on your permitted to stay stamp - and then extend it one year for retirement. It will not be a visa but an extension of stay - you can not enter the country with it - you must have a re-entry permit to return and continue your stay.

I worried quite a bit about the 21 days. When I first read the requirement, I thought you could not go until less than 21 days were remaining. But on re-reading it, I realized it might mean more than 21 days. So I was in a panic as we did not get there until about 3 days before, but it didn't bother them at all.

For issue of a visa or for issue of an extension of stay? The extension of stay can be obtained any time during the last 30 days. The visa issue (so that you can later extend) from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry can only be processed if you have 21 days or more remaining on your permitted to stay stamp.

If you have recently obtained such a 90 day non immigrant visa issue from immigration having only 3 day remaining please advise when and the office used so that other may know.

LOL, Wouldn't it be true that half of these posts would not be here if the Government just made it easier for people who simply wanted to live here and spend money a lot easier.

I'm not talking about huge Companies etc but this forum is full of pple who just like it here and would like to live here and spend money here that is new money as far as Thailand is concerned.

Probably a totally off topic post and the roots to most of the other posts. I have no opinions really but it does amuse me as to why they make it so difficult.

Most countries make migration " difficult "

Yes. During the last 30 days of your permitted to stay you visit Immigration with a TM.7 form and 4x6cm photo attached, passport/copies, departure card/copy, bank passbook/copies, letter of account balance from bank and 1,900 baht to receive a one year extension of stay.

Lopburi3, do I need to wait until the last 30 days of my current visa before I apply for Retirement extension? I have a multiple entry O visa and just did a visa run a few days ago, so I have nearly 3 more months before it expires. I would like to organise the Retirement visa ahead of time as I'm applying on the basis of monthly income. I think I've got all the necessary documents but you never know!

Yes, money is not a issue but I would prefer not wiring 800k into Thai banks if I can help it even if it is for only 3 months before applying for the retirement visa. My life style right now is such that I would be lucky to use 40% to 50% of it.

You don't have to spend it all.

Alternately, you an show a monthly income from outside (B 65k/month?), which presumably you need if you are retired. I showed them a year of US bank showing a monthly wire transfer, a letter from TFB stating I receive regular transfers, and for good measure (I don;t know why this has the most weight), a notarized letter from the US Embassy stating that I swear I in fact get money every month.

ALso, I thought the minimum age was raised to 55.

Yes, money is not a issue but I would prefer not wiring 800k into Thai banks if I can help it even if it is for only 3 months before applying for the retirement visa. My life style right now is such that I would be lucky to use 40% to 50% of it.

You don't have to spend it all.

Alternately, you an show a monthly income from outside (B 65k/month?), which presumably you need if you are retired. I showed them a year of US bank showing a monthly wire transfer, a letter from TFB stating I receive regular transfers, and for good measure (I don;t know why this has the most weight), a notarized letter from the US Embassy stating that I swear I in fact get money every month.

ALso, I thought the minimum age was raised to 55.

I thought the monthly income of 65k had to come from a pension which I don't have.

I have several accounts that combined generate that amount of income. If I understand you, I would have to show one year's worth of monthly income wired to a Thai bank. I don't know if that is a good solution for me since I assume I would incur a wire transfer charge every month and since I only use "currently" less than 40% of 65k, I would want to wire my surplus money back to the US every 2 to 4 months. Unless the dollar tanks again, I would not want to keep a lot of money in Thai bank. I also guess that I would have to start the monthly wiring 1 year before I apply for the visa extension.

I got an O from Holland I am not over 50 and no work permit and not dutch all it seemed I needed was a house lease in english

it was nt a problem to get once they knew i had a lease for a house in thailand

theoretically based on the posts here i should not of got it but it really was not a problem and took just 5 minutes and I was outa there

I got an O from Holland I am not over 50 and no work permit and not dutch all it seemed I needed was a house lease in english

it was nt a problem to get once they knew i had a lease for a house in thailand

theoretically based on the posts here i should not of got it but it really was not a problem and took just 5 minutes and I was outa there

Anyone, any age, can get a 1 year Non O Imm Visa from Hull in the UK , reason of visiting friends and family.

Edited by Lite Beer

Yes, money is not a issue but I would prefer not wiring 800k into Thai banks if I can help it even if it is for only 3 months before applying for the retirement visa. My life style right now is such that I would be lucky to use 40% to 50% of it. I also prefer not to go through documentation bureaucracy necessary to get a retirement visa.

Just to clarify on the 800,000 baht issue... and please others correct me if I'm astray here....

But, I believe you don't have to put a NEW/ADDITIONAL 800,000 baht into your Thai bank account every subsequent year.... in order to qualify.

You just have to be able to show at least that balance in your Thai bank account for the three months preceding your application each year... So, if you've only drawn down part of that during the first year, just replenish the account to bring it above the 800K for the required three-month period, and you're good to go...

Also, there are three options for meeting the financial threshhold ... 65K monthly income, 800K on deposit in Thai bank three months prior, or a combination of the two....

Here is the exact language (English translation) from Sunbelt Asia... regarding retirements....

(1) Foreigner shall obtains VISA for

temporary stay and,

(2) Shall not be younger than 50

years old and,

(3) Having evidence showing the

monthly income not less than

65,000 Baht or,

(4) Having the records of saving

money in the latest 3 months of

account book of any Bank in

Thailand not less than 800,000

Baht or,

(5) Having annual income

combined with the saving

money in the Bank not less than

800,000 Baht from on the date

submitting the application.

You prove the 65k pension/income by obtaining a letter from your Embassy - not by monthly deposits.

I live in CM, so can I assume that I can get the letter from the US consulate rather than the US Embassy in Bangkok.

Will I need to present my financial statements of my approx $2100 monthly income to get the letter from the embassy/consulate or as additional proof to get the extension visa from immigration?

If the procedure is as simple as I understand it then I won't need to keep any money in a Thai bank and can withdraw my money as needed using my USA ATM cards.

Am I missing something?

Thanks again for all the most helpful information.

Yes. All you should need at Consulate is the amount (your wage and the notary fee) and sign the form under oath. At Immigration that is probably all you will need but would be a good idea to have copy of wage proof with you.

It is advisable to have a local bank account as some people are asked to show how they can meet expenses but in general it is not required. But you might find a large wire transfer every few months into a Thai bank account is less costly (full exchange rate) and provides better access to funds (no international lines down for ATM use).

Yes. All you should need at Consulate is the amount (your wage and the notary fee) and sign the form under oath. At Immigration that is probably all you will need but would be a good idea to have copy of wage proof with you.

what do you mean by wage or wage proof?

My income proof would be coming from my monthly bank statements showing the interest that I have earned. I hope that is what you mean.

O-A Retirement Visas are only available from your home country NOT in Thailand.

The money in the bank does not have to be in a Thai Bank. It has to be in a bank in your own country.

My retirement visa is up on 20th of this month went to samui immigration with all my stuff they now want to see statements showin all transactions from my uk account since over the last year told them I brought in stirling travellers cheques told me non good and that they need to see transfer papers for all my money transaction thinking of going back to multi entry as fed up with never ending changes

My income proof would be coming from my monthly bank statements showing the interest that I have earned. I hope that is what you mean.

Yes - whatever you have.

Yes - whatever you have.

Thanks again lopburi3 and all you other contributors.

Since you have advised me that the 65k bhat income per month does not have to be deposited at a Thai bank. To take this one step further, I was wondering whether showing just 1 USA bank statement that had on deposit multiples of the $25kUS (800kbaht), like let's say $75k+, would satisfy the 800k yearly requirement.

Yes - whatever you have.

Thanks again lopburi3 and all you other contributors.

Since you have advised me that the 65k bhat income per month does not have to be deposited at a Thai bank. To take this one step further, I was wondering whether showing just 1 USA bank statement that had on deposit multiples of the $25kUS (800kbaht), like let's say $75k+, would satisfy the 800k yearly requirement.

The 800K baht, to satisfy the income requirement for a retirement visa or extension, has to be on deposit in a THAI bank account for the three month period prior to your application or renewal... It doesn't matter how many multiples of that you may have in a U.S. bank, or anywhere else, for that matter.

If you are using income you must sign under oath the amount at the Embassy. If Immigration asks for proof of that income do not believe they are going to be impressed with a bank account balance - tax payments, pension paperwork or perhaps proof of interest income. Do not believe Immigration will ask but it can and has happened. So state an income you can easily prove and if not the full 65k use local bank deposit to make up the difference.

For issue of a visa or for issue of an extension of stay? The extension of stay can be obtained any time during the last 30 days. The visa issue (so that you can later extend) from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry can only be processed if you have 21 days or more remaining on your permitted to stay stamp.

If you have recently obtained such a 90 day non immigrant visa issue from immigration having only 3 day remaining please advise when and the office used so that other may know.

So that was my confusion. I had a 90 day non-immigrant O visa. I was applying for the one year extension of stay. This was done at the Bangkok office.

If you are using income you must sign under oath the amount at the Embassy. If Immigration asks for proof of that income do not believe they are going to be impressed with a bank account balance - tax payments, pension paperwork or perhaps proof of interest income. Do not believe Immigration will ask but it can and has happened. So state an income you can easily prove and if not the full 65k use local bank deposit to make up the difference.

Sorry for repeating myself but based on all your replies, my easiest option is to present a US bank monthly statements to the embassy and immigration, showing a monthly income of at least $2100/month. I can then choose whether I will deposit some of that income in a Thai bank or use ATM withdrawals as I have been doing for the last 18 months.

Once again, thanks very much lopburi3 for your informative input.

...my easiest option is to present a US bank monthly statements to the embassy and immigration, showing a monthly income of at least $2100/month...

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that deposits to your bank account are proof of income. this is not so. Proof of income would be in the form of a confirmation letter from your employer or pension fund, evidence of rental income, statements of income from investment (interests, dividends, gain on sales) etc.

The US embassy in Bangkok will not ask you for any supporting documents. The immigration office sometimes asks for it and at other times does not.

--

Maestro

I just re-read your message and I guess I must be dense because I think I may have misunderstood it. :o

You are saying that presenting one year of bank monthly statements showing monthly interest earned may not be acceptable to Immigrant as proof positive of income earned.

Except for monthly transfers of 65k into a Thai a bank account, how else can I prove to Immigration I have more than enough monthly income earned outside of Thailand.

I really want to avoid transferring 65k a month in a Thai bank. :D

Again thanks for your comments. :D

...my easiest option is to present a US bank monthly statements to the embassy and immigration, showing a monthly income of at least $2100/month...

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that deposits to your bank account are proof of income. this is not so. Proof of income would be in the form of a confirmation letter from your employer or pension fund, evidence of rental income, statements of income from investment (interests, dividends, gain on sales) etc.

--

Maestro

Yeah, I just re-read lopburi3 message again.

In your reply, you write statements of income from investment interests, isn't a year's worth of monthly bank statements showing income interest, proof enough?

I would appreciate any further comment to clarify this for me.

Cheers

Edited by vagabond48

You did not say a years worth of papers - you said a bank account balance. If you have a years worth of paperwork showing interest expect that would be accepted by Immigration if they ask - but the requirement is the Embassy letter. But nobody can be sure what would or would not be accepted as it seldom happens so there is no record to base our comments on. Immigration does not provide a list.

vagabond48, if – and only if – immigration asks for supporting documents regarding your income in addition to the embassy letter do you provide such documents to immigration. If this should be the case then one year’s bank statements showing credit entries for interest equivalent to at least 800,000 Baht for the year should indeed be acceptable evidence of your income.

Some banks give a year-end statement, for tax purposes, showing the total amount of interest and dividends paid during the calendar year and this would be even better if you have it.

--

Maestro