The Grumpiest Ex-pat In Bangkok

CarlBkk

This is exactly why this post should be closed, People are that angry after reading it thats it's spawning fights between members that should have and would have never happened if this post was closed or deleted at the appropriate time.

gee, and i thought it was the privacy issues that mattered

This is exactly why this post should be closed, People are that angry after reading it thats it's spawning fights between members that should have and would have never happened if this post was closed or deleted at the appropriate time.

gee, and i thought it was the privacy issues that mattered

Hmm, No, If you read what I just said, I was pointing out the fact that if it was not for this post, then you would not be fighting with other members on an issue that it probably totally off-topic.

It was nice of the moderator to open this thread again,

I agree that pictures should not be allowed but we can all learn something about grumpy expats and we all agree that what he's doing to the Thai staff is wrong.

I just hope that some of the TV members in Bangkok will have a chance to talk to him about his rude behaviour.

I mean its not a fight we're after, just a serious chat with him if thats possible.

He is still on facebook. Sign in, click on groups on the left. Above, type in we love thailand. When the first page opens the first picture on the lhs in a pink shirt is gom. He is still there at 17.26pm thai time

No results for we love thailand...

No problems for me. Follow the instructions precisely.

Problem for me,too. I clicked on "groups", typed in "we love thailand" but got "there are no results for we love thailand - are you looking for hoe love thailand?".

Doesn't matter though, as another member sent me the link by PM.

I would like to mention I was telling my Thai family about this and they thought it was great. Basically they said it is about time that the farang community dealt with the other farangs.

'familiarity breeds contempt' ....fits here, doesn't it?

Because the guy's a farang, other farang (who are normal and adjusted) can cast aspersions at the guy.

I had an old Thai man grab my wrist and threaten to hit me with a rolled up newspaper. It happened in the middle of the day on a busy sidewalk. My crime? I made a one second indication that he should wait for me to get my change (from buying my newspaper) before physically pushing me aside to buy his. He held on to me tightly and yelled angrily in my face for over a minute. At any time, I could have broken his hold with a simple twist of my arm, but I let him vent a bit.

So is this the type of guy that Thaivisa boys would like to harass? Oh no, because he's a Thai, and Thais are dfferent than us. Thaivisa gang would rather harass a guy who's obsessed about a seat he likes to sit in - because the guy is a fellow farang, .....but not really a 'fellow' - because he's different than us. He doesn't express himself in the normal way we expect everyone to be. ...and he's an easy target, not least because we don't know anything about him - except for that one eccentricity.

If any one of the harassers knew him, they might think he's ok (as they think they're off-kilter uncle is ok in his eccesntricities) - but the unfamiliarity of the odd unknown man plays in to the harrassing mentality.

When Oh When will a Mod please close this post ? It's not only embarrassing, but to ridicule a guy and carry on with this whitch hunt is just going too far.

People opening face book pages and counting stools ?

This kind of post is just making a mockery of this site and its just degrading.

Come on, treating the Thai staff serving him like shit is degrading. Why should they have to tolerate that? That's the issue here, the stool is just an innocent bystander.

so can we look forward to the "maintaining normalcy" or "banish eccentricity" patrol of T.Visa harrassers

to next focus on banishing (one of) Pattaya's/ Patong's ongoing problem groups?

I'm referring roving bands of katoy who actively harass farang tourists.

oh, but there are 2 reasons the T.Visa gang won't confront harassing katoy (who've been known to beat people up and/or snatch wallets and purses) .....

reason #1 - the katoy are a different ethnic grouping.

reason #2 - the katoy will instantly get offended and fight back viciously - and that could be painful.

Once they rid Pattaya and Patong of aggressive katoy, then they can go on to tackle rogue Thai cops who shoot innocent people.

I had an old Thai man grab my wrist and threaten to hit me with a rolled up newspaper. It happened in the middle of the day on a busy sidewalk. My crime? I made a one second indication that he should wait for me to get my change (from buying my newspaper) before physically pushing me aside to buy his. He held on to me tightly and yelled angrily in my face for over a minute. At any time, I could have broken his hold with a simple twist of my arm, but I let him vent a bit.

So is this the type of guy that Thaivisa boys would like to harass? Oh no, because he's a Thai, and Thais are dfferent than us.

In the case you've given here, No, I would not support you with my presence in any response, my reason being, this was your situation and your issue that you could deal with yourself, and in the manner you saw fit if you had so wished. You are equal to him. Him being Thai has absolutely nothing to do with it.

But in the case of GOC and the staff at the Coffee shop, they cannot chellenge him or his rudeness for the fear of losing their jobs, and GOC knows that and also knows that he has them by the balls. Therefore, he believes that he can talk to them and treat them anyway he likes. What Karl and the others (my self included) are doing should have been done a long long time ago.

Edited by thecatman

CarlBKK you are a petty minded vindictive fool who is worse then then the bloke you are harrassing.

Im sure the staff can look after themselves without needing a group of nothing better to do whiteknights to come to their rescue.

A better picture would be one of the pr7ck TV members who bother to go there especially to take a specific seat.

Do you mean we should just sit down and watch people(Burmese, Chinese,Africa,..etc) dying because it's none of your "holly business"?

JC

to next focus on banishing (one of) Pattaya's/ Patong's ongoing problem groups?

I'm referring roving bands of katoy who actively harass farang tourists.

oh, but there are 2 reasons the T.Visa gang won't confront harassing katoy (who've been known to beat people up and/or snatch wallets and purses) .....

reason #1 - the katoy are a different ethnic grouping.

reason #2 - the katoy will instantly get offended and fight back viciously - and that could be painful.

I'm not sure how you made this particular mental leap.

Stalking seems to be a happy little pass time on TV....did'nt one of the farmers get stalked some time ago ?

While the initial story and all the fun and games were well deserved, actually identifying the guy and putting his photo up for all to see goes a bit too far.

After all, he is not a Pedophile, that we know of and they well deserve the public exposure, but this guy did nothing to deserve his photo plastered on one of the biggest websites in the world for all to see.

I happen to be one person who saw the photo, I also happen to be one person who recognises the guy from elsewhere. How many other people actually know who he is and what he does ?

Not nice to go that far me thinks. The initial adventure was fun and should have been continued without photos and videos etc.

Edited by MrIrrisistable

Carl;

Until he actually eats several children, even then he is probably just misunderstood.

He is now the underdog, so in the world of the liberal bleeding hearts he is the good guy, and you and anyone who supports you is an idiot and should be forced to take there granola eating, pot smoking, seminars. Then maybe, just maybe, you might understand that anyone that the tofu eaters take on there side are right, like Che Guevara the butcher of South America who is to the un-educated, a hero now. I am sure Pol Pot is right up there on there list as well as just a misunderstood person that wanted to better his people.

archie bunker,

you may be old, you may be senile, or you may be daft.

whatever the answer, i am sure we are not discussing pol pot or che here.

i also reckon you should get over your issues with tofu and granola - one is an excellent source of protein, the other is a brilliant source of fibre.

in any case, you are still amusing, so keep it up.

Angry? Not at all actually, I'm having a great time, breaks up my day some while working.

As for the Thais being rude to other Thais, it’s not right either, but it doesn’t reflect on me. Rude and obnoxious farang on the other hand do reflect badly on me and make my life here more difficult even if I never come into contact with them personally. They leave a trail of resentment behind them that the rest of us end up taking the flack for. Now I don’t think that correcting one GOM will make a difference in the general attitude of the population but it might help a tiny bit.

I am about to go eat lunch with a fellow moderator. We could discuss the obnoxiousness of brutish expatriates to one another. We could discuss Brutus' obnoxious behavior to Caesar and what he et. More likely we will discuss what we et, what Roy et, or Roi-Et.

No casualties here. Other than a few posts deleted when members insulted each other, and a personal photo that violated privacy laws. Gandhi non-violently liberated three nations by being confrontational to the brutish colonials.

As for the Thais being rude to other Thais, it’s not right either, but it doesn’t reflect on me. Rude and obnoxious farang on the other hand do reflect badly on me and make my life here more difficult even if I never come into contact with them personally. They leave a trail of resentment behind them that the rest of us end up taking the flack for. Now I don’t think that correcting one GOM will make a difference in the general attitude of the population but it might help a tiny bit.

i agree with you entirely. i've confronted farang in the past who were showing nothing but disrespect to the thailand and the thai people. the thai's were extremely grateful about my proactive stance. these were normally tourists that felt superior for whatever reason, and i was more than happy to knock them down a notch.

it seems to me that the GOM needs to be taken down a level as well. when he gets upset the next time his seat is taken and he gets flustered just turn around and directly ask, "what the <deleted> is your problem"? then engage him in a logical discussion as to why he's an @$$hole to everyone.

if that doesn't work then maybe you can make a profit on that seat by selling your spot to him. if he is this rich CEO guy that everyone is assuming that he is, then he may just pay to have his way.

Well for a seat in a cafe in Bangkok to the GOM 15k a day would do it, I would actually give him a discount if he purchased multiple days. Maybe 15% if he is willing to purchase a week at a time, 25% for a month.

I canceled my luncheon with the other moderator. We heard that some rich expatriate has taken the entire restaurant over, every table, from 11 am to 1 pm, every day. He brings in 32 copies of the Bangkok Post and Nation, spreads them over every table and chair, the counters, the food prep area, then turns on his favorite baroque opera and plays it full blast whilst watching a rerun of his favorite footie. He buys one Coke Zero and spends the time belching and farting, calling the media to complain about inconsiderate expats who hassle fellow expats, and speaking to the Thai staff very loudly in Swahili.

to equate the behaviour of mahatma gandhi with the behaviour of a group of witch hunting curtain twitching self appointed defenders of moral values is stretching it , even for a thai visa moderator.

peace blondie.

Gandhi non-violently liberated three nations by being confrontational to the brutish colonials

"Hate the sin, love the sinner."

mahatma gandhi

it is also extremely patronising to the thai staff to suggest that they are unable to handle difficult customers and therefore need the assistance of the falang to intervene in a problem that hardly existed before they arrived......and it also shows a serious lack of understanding of thai behaviour by the posters.

whatever they tell you (which is exactly what you want to be told) the staff there are actually just standing back and enjoying the show put on by the difficult customer falang , and the falangs who just cant leave things alone and have to push their big noses into things.

never underestimate thai psychology.....in this country it wins every time.

I've been traveling to thailand for almost 10 years now and plan on living there in the near future. It took me into about my 5th trip before I started to 'get' the difference in temperment between many farangs (moslty tourists) and thais. It was about the 5th trip that I had gotten pretty immerssed in practicing meditation and had been studying buddhism and had actually noticed a difference in my mind state (more centered and relaxed). It was at this point that I think I started to have a better understanding of thai culture and how farangs will always be farangs. I realize that I'll never probably completely understand thai culture, but the mindset and temperment is a big part of resonating with it.

I learned to speak and understand the language well enough to understand a few subtle concepts that are uniquely thai and this helps immensely. Sometimes I think that much of superiority that tourists hold towards locals is simply the fact that when you hear someone speaking what sounds like gibberish to you, you judge them the same.

Steve