Those Freaking Rubber Bands

cloudhopper

Plastic bag rubber band removal  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it is a British term, but "rubber" by itself never refers to a rubber band in the USA... :D

One of my first topics on ThaiVisa was about how to open things. I will try again to find that thread.

As a Tax Auditor at the IRS, I tried not to discriminate against occupations. But if I had ever audited the tax return of a packaging engineer, I might have thrown a bag of Fritos (corn chips) on the desk and said, "Okay, big boy, if you can open that freakin' bag without spilling one chip, I'll let you out of here for free. Otherwise, you will owe $2,000!" :o

I have big hands and thick fingers. It is a wonder I learned to speed-type. Rubber bands are way too small. I avoid them by not eating Thai food, having a partner with small fingers, and having scissors in every room of the house.

...I found it, my first popular thread as OP: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=54870&hl=

WOW.... oldies but goodies.... (no offence.... :o )

Looking back to that 2005 post... I see Lopburi, Toptuan, Tutsiwarrior, Dustoff, Heng and more!!!

And, it reminded me of a small but funny story... When I moved here, I brought with me some bottles of U.S. OTC medicine like Tylenol and such.... complete with the required child-proof caps.... (push down, and then turn to open).

While living here, have handed them to adult Thais from time to time... and... they couldn't figure out what the h... to do to open them... Explained the process...and they still couldn't figure it out... Had to open the bottle for them...

So...next time you're fumbling with the damned rubber bands...just remember... we do (and can) get our revenge...sometimes!!!! :D

This happens to me constantly, even last night I wore some hot soup bound for a bowl on the table :o Can we be a little more specific with the instructions anyone.... BUT, I do now have a rubber band collection.... what to do with all these tiny multicolores things???

When you have enough of them, you can make a rubber band ball. It will bounce of the walls roughly like a super ball, but with multicolored DIY look ^^

Now that China has announced that it is going to ban minor plastic bags, could this be a threat to the Thai plastic bag industry? and by extension to the age old tradition of rubber band sleight of hand?

If Thais are so good at making small plastic bags which will hold soup for days without leaking, maybe they could become world leaders in the Condom industry too....

Yeah, hey I blame the size of my hands :D

The problem is what I have heard that the rubber bands don't stay on top of the bag like in the video they slip down so you first have to find the right band and get it over the top. Rest is pretty straight forward. But if possible dealing with rubber bands is none of my business :o

Great video, but I have to eat some crow: I can open the bags OK, but to attempt to tie one....give me a break..........so many moves for such a simple task. Give me the scissors and I will beat you any time in the opening part..........why do the Thais make everything so damned difficult? After 10 years here and learning the language, I can only understand my own family and their reasoning behind everyday things. Not to say they are wrong, but they are certainly wired-up differently than anyone from the west........includes all Asians. Move across the international date line in the direction of Asia, and you have moved into 'Laurel & Hardy' land............mai pen rai.........you cannot beat the Thais; you cannot join the Thais; so, just learn to go 'around' them, and all will be jai yen yen.

Just split the bag. :o

all of you guys need some serious psychological help. letting a silly little rubber band get the best of you. i'm pretty sure the immigration police makes that part of the test you have to pass to get Thai citizenship, so watch out!!

Yea, good thread and I've wanted to post it myself but was afraid I'd get laughed at. I use the knife method, while the wife nimbly whips it off [the rubber].

but, there is a more user friendly way to tie the bags and it makes opening them much easier.....simply twist the bag top 2 or 3 times, then double it over and place the rubberband over the doubled plastic bag and give it a few wraps and when you want to open it simply pull the open end of the bag and the rubber band flies off quick and easy.

Oh ... that makes it very clear :o

The Thai's make be professional at this, but give 'em a Ziploc baggie and watch 'em squirm! :D

HydeParke, the rubber bands are just here because they are cheap ways of closing the probably cheapest way of packaging a meal which is a bag.
I would have thought that a small piece of tape would be cheaper?

In terms of un-wrapping that would be worst than rubber band.

There's already a lot of places (shops/stands) around my home in BKK that serve in the small styrofoam boxes, mainly when they're serving a rice and xxxxx dish.... Because rice and xxxxxx don't go so well together when dropped into a bag...

But, about those boxes, if they started vastly replacing the simple plastic bags for everything, think of the LITTER and DISPOSAL factor, multiplied many many millions of times over in Thailand....

Oh my god, you guys are hilarious! Who would have thought that you would be stumped by such an innocuous thing as a tiny red rubber band?! ;-)

Grab the end of the rubber-band - and give it a good yank - maybe you'll need to wiggle it from side to side a bit. Once it is loosened, you can let go and the rubber band should fly off!

Easy, and I have to say it, quite fun.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that even after many years here I have STILL not been able to get those rubber bands off the ubiquitous plastic bags. Can some kind soul attempt to explain how it's done? :o

None of the above, I let my wife do it. :D

Simple,use a scissors then from then on hide all the rubber bands and buy those little twisty's :D

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that even after many years here I have STILL not been able to get those rubber bands off the ubiquitous plastic bags. Can some kind soul attempt to explain how it's done? :D

None of the above, I let my wife do it. :D

Simple,use a scissors then from then on hide all the rubber bands and buy those little twisty's :D I bet you don't have that much trouble getting a bra off :o

Oh my god, you guys are hilarious! Who would have thought that you would be stumped by such an innocuous thing as a tiny red rubber band?! ;-)

Grab the end of the rubber-band - and give it a good yank - maybe you'll need to wiggle it from side to side a bit. Once it is loosened, you can let go and the rubber band should fly off!

Easy, and I have to say it, quite fun.

and there was me thinking rubber bands were always endless loops. I must have been doing something wrong :o

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that even after many years here I have STILL not been able to get those rubber bands off the ubiquitous plastic bags. Can some kind soul attempt to explain how it's done? :o

Took me a while, I think it was a year or so before I even attempted to have a go, just by watching them put it on, twists and turns in all directions gave me some kind of psychological l implication ...

Thats what it is, its a psychological thing, it will break you down, have you crying alone in the corner, but then you will crack it and be twice the man you was before ...

• 1 month later...
Just split the bag. :o

Just enjoy the mystery and the challenge people. I've been 12 months without a rubber band challenge and greatly miss them.

My GF creates some amazing knots nowadays but we just can't get the same plastic bags and rubber bands here so it's not the same.