Two Men Arrested Over Attempted Bag Snatch

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya City News: May 28th 2008

Two Men Arrested over Attempted Bag Snatch

Bag snatching season seems to be never-ending but one attempted robbery was quickly thwarted by alert witnesses. At around 2:00 on Wednesday morning two Thai males, one aged 21 the other 28, were apprehended in Soi Buakhow at the junction with Soi Chaiyapoom after trying to steal a handbag belonging to a 24-year-old Thai bargirl.

The two men were riding a motorbike along Soi Buakhow when they spotted the girl walking with a foreign man. The two thieves, who are both soldiers based in Yasothon province, decided the streets of Pattaya really are paved with gold and thought they’d hit the jackpot when they snatched the female’s handbag. However, alert witnesses to the attempted snatch and grab quickly prevented the pair from riding off and called police.

Back at the stationhouse the pair told officers they had decided to steal a bag in the hope of obtaining money so they could go and party at a karaoke bar somewhere and possibly pay for the services of a few singing girls. Instead they now face a term in jail.

I wish someone would follow up on these stories and tell us what punishment is actually meted out. What's the bet that neither goes to jail, they will be sent back to barracks and put on punishment duties for two weeks.

Yeah that will teach them.

I wish someone would follow up on these stories and tell us what punishment is actually meted out.

That's my big gripe about rags like the Pattaya Mail et al. They just love to splash the lurid details of crime stories all over their pages but almost never, unless the crime is real high profile, give any follow up details. Why they couldn't have a simple column keeping folks up to date regarding developments is beyond me. Only reason I can think of is, as intimated in this case, there will be no jail term just a spell peeling potatos (or the Thai equivalent). Plus it would highlight the difference between Thai and farang punishments.

One reason is the lack of access to the court system, it is rare to allow the press into the court-room. You rarely hear a blow by blow even in the high profile cases eg we hear Takky's wife appeared before the court, but not a clue as what was said, they have been having tea and biscuits as far as we know. We eventually hear just a result and the sentence if one is handed out. Information is not that forth coming in a lot of the "minor" cases from the officials.

Unfortunately the system here is not as transparent as many of us are used to.