Thai Pens

Jimjim1968

I really try not to complain and actually I have a very cozy life here....

BUT...

...one thing that makes me throw the said article across the room is....

The pens in Thailand!!!

OMG...the waste of plastic, labour, ozone etc. in making the humble pen....which doesn't work.

It drives me crazy! It there a campaign to erradicate Thailand (or Asia) of the the utter B*stards who continue to make these pens that last for approx. 5 mins.

If it is to make you buy news ones or to infruiate you...I just don't know!

Even the expensive ones are extremely dodgy.

I now concur to invest in a good old fashioned fountain pen...I think it was Parker 25 when I was a kid.

Anyone else spare this view? I imagine it's everyone.

Zebra F-301, widely available here and inexpensive. Have been using two for 2+ years so have not yet purchased a refill. (Appears to have been manufactured in Indonesia.) I am certain there is a wide choice of similar pens available, just look in large department stores which have decent-sized stationery departments.

Hi :o

It's exactly the same with these one-way lighters you get at 7-Eleven and everywhere. Almost always the flint is finished when the thing is still half full with gas. What a waste!

Regarding the pens - my office uses this brand "Horse", they are blue but write in black. No problems with them, they last like for ever.

I myself actually write with pencil most of the time :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hi :o

It's exactly the same with these one-way lighters you get at 7-Eleven and everywhere. Almost always the flint is finished when the thing is still half full with gas. What a waste!

Regarding the pens - my office uses this brand "Horse", they are blue but write in black. No problems with them, they last like for ever.

I myself actually write with pencil most of the time :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

I prefer crayons myself, lots of pretty colours to choose from.... :D

I totally agree. I bring pens back when I go abroad.

But get yerself a cheap Lamy fountain pen, medium nib, sold in better dept stores. Well made, work great, nicely retro.

I totally agree. I bring pens back when I go abroad.

But get yerself a cheap Lamy fountain pen, medium nib, sold in better dept stores. Well made, work great, nicely retro.

I am never a broad........ :o

I buy pens when overseas, usually in Thailand, take 'em home to NZ.

Actually bought 4 pens 4 years ago fron Boots, 99Baht, still have 3 of them, great pens.

No idea what brand, and great fine writing ball too.

You can buy quality foreign made pens - European & American, if you go to a good stationary store. I think Thai Visa needs a catagory for posts of similar topics, such as the rubber bands, plastic bags, razor blades, to defrost or not, etc, etc.

Thai script requires a finer width of pen stroke than Roman letters. It's more intricate and a lot of going back and forth. Thus if you examine pens in a stationer's in Thailand, you will find that most of them have 0.5mm nibs. I recommend avoiding these and go for the 0.7mm nibs. BIC pens. I hope this advice resolves your pen woes.

I was amazed by the choice of pens you have here in an office supply shop, such as in The Mall; literally thousands of different pens to choose from. After several trial and error experiences I ended up with a "Mitsubishi Pencil" called "uni-ball", which come in several thickness and I love them.

Also good are the "Reynolds Gel Racer".

Both are smooth to write with, no interrupted lines, no smearing, water-proof.

Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V5 Extra Fine. 0.5mm It's actually a drafting pen so takes a bit of getting use to for normal writing and a few extra seconds to dry. they aren't cheap, 150 baht or so but last for ever so long as you don't forget to put the cap back on. Made in Japan.

WOW.... the pro's and con's of ball point pen....dont mean to be rude......But think you guys should start getting a life.....

hummm....you might have a point, but you did read it, and respond. Perhaps the mirror is in order here

I really try not to complain and actually I have a very cozy life here....

BUT...

...one thing that makes me throw the said article across the room is....

The pens in Thailand!!!

OMG...the waste of plastic, labour, ozone etc. in making the humble pen....which doesn't work.

It drives me crazy! It there a campaign to erradicate Thailand (or Asia) of the the utter B*stards who continue to make these pens that last for approx. 5 mins.

If it is to make you buy news ones or to infruiate you...I just don't know!

Invest in a cross or shaefer pen and don't let out of your sight... :o

Even the expensive ones are extremely dodgy.

I now concur to invest in a good old fashioned fountain pen...I think it was Parker 25 when I was a kid.

Anyone else spare this view? I imagine it's everyone.

I asked my sister to send me a pen from the USA. What a shock it was to discover a 8,000thb import tax was attached. But not to fret - it's the perfect size for my pig and little piglets...