What Do Other Expats Do That You Hate?

Ulysses G.

for the record: "english" is not "capitalised".

It is nice to know that Pattaya's only intellectual (according to a recent thread) can be wrong. English is always preceeded by a capital letter. :o

but that does not mean

quote: "english is capitalised"

it's nice to know that american generals do often not comprehend where's the problem or what is discussed. but that's nothing new, history provides ample evidence to back that claim.

ahmmm... and by the way... the word "english" is NOT always written with a capital letter and neither is it always "preceeded" by a capital letter nor is the word "capitalised". to sum it up: stars make Generals, but stars don't necessarily make intellectuals or prove education or general knowledge :D

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the record: "english" is not "capitalised".

It is nice to know that Pattaya's only intellectual (according to a recent thread) can be wrong. English is always preceeded by a capital letter. :o

but that does not mean

quote: "english is capitalised"

it's nice to know that american generals do often not comprehend where's the problem or what is discussed. but that's nothing new, history provides ample evidence to back that claim.

ahmmm... and by the way... the word "english" is NOT always written with a capital letter and neither is it always "preceeded" by a capital letter nor is the word "capitalised". to sum it up: stars make Generals, but stars don't necessarily make intellectuals or prove education or general knowledge :D

While I agree that the letter preceding the word 'English' is not always a capital letter, I am not aware of any instance where the 'E' in English isn't a capital letter. Care to give an example Mr Namm?

ahmmm... and by the way... the word "english" is NOT always written with a capital letter

The first letter in the word English is always a capital letter, so Pattaya's most famous

Pseudo- intellectual isn't nearly as clever as he thinks. :o

I hate people that have read in a poxy guide book about haggling and then proceed to try and beat down a salesperson for a few baht making themselves look like a tight ass. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

You got it. I hate haggling and hagglers.

To get back on topic, I really don't have many problems with expats in Thailand...except for those louts who are loud and obnoxious...usually after too much drinking. It really doesn't matter what nationality they are, when they get too loud, I just cringe because of the terrible example they make for the Thai people.

I hate people that have read in a poxy guide book about haggling and then proceed to try and beat down a salesperson for a few baht making themselves look like a tight ass. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

Thai shop keepers must love you. :o

:D

I hope they do. I couldn't hold my head high knowing I had just beaten down some poor Thai merchant over a measly few baht. Shameful way to behave, I used to cringe when my ex Thai mother in law did it, but for a westerner with money it's just embarrasing. IMHO.

While I agree that the letter preceding the word 'English' is not always a capital letter, I am not aware of any instance where the 'E' in English isn't a capital letter. Care to give an example Mr Namm?

a dog in England might be an english dog but not an English dog (according to my teachers). a flower that grows in England might be an english flower but not an English flower (according to my teachers) :o

ahmmm... and by the way... the word "english" is NOT always written with a capital letter

The first letter in the word English is always a capital letter, so Pattaya's most famous

Pseudo- intellectual isn't nearly as clever as he thinks. :o

once you have learned the meaning of the word "preceeding" i might consider to continue a discussion with you (although it makes no sense to discuss a foreign language like "English" with an American pseudo-general) :D

I hope they do. I couldn't hold my head high knowing I had just beaten down some poor Thai merchant over a measly few baht. Shameful way to behave, I used to cringe when my ex Thai mother in law did it, but for a westerner with money it's just embarrasing. IMHO.

I beg to differ, its a sign of respect to a degree, and if you always just take the first price someone throws at you, you will always be paying more than you need too. Now this dosn't mean you need to beat folks down spending more than a sentence or 2 over buying some cheap stuff. I agree beating someone down over a 5 baht moo ping is just petty, but when your buying clothes or something its fully expected that you engage in the negotiation process.

a dog in England might be an english dog but not an English dog (according to my teachers). a flower that grows in England might be an english flower but not an English flower (according to my teachers) :D

Your "teachers" are wrong and you are wrong. Try consulting any dictionary. :o

Pseudo- intellectual isn't nearly as clever as he thinks. :D

once you have learned the meaning of the word "preceeding" i might consider to continue a discussion with you (although it makes no sense to discuss a foreign language like "English" with an American pseudo-general) :D

Once you learn correct punctuation, you might have room to correct other peoples mistakes, but not when you don't even admit your own. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Maybe they're just trying to communicate. Maybe they're not as clever as you obviously think you are and they have to resort to whatever communicative tactics they have at there dispossal. This, as we all know, can become a habit. But should it be denograted in such a way?

Your complaint is, essentially, that you occassionally come across people that don't speak Thai as well as you do. I'm sorry but you present yourself as an insufferable boor. Tolerance makes the world go round.

No offence meant and I hope none taken.

I havn't been denograted lately, and that's possibly why posts such as the above grate on me. Maybe, with the utmost respect, you are possibly not as clever as you thought you were as well. :o

a dog in England might be an english dog but not an English dog (according to my teachers). a flower that grows in England might be an english flower but not an English flower (according to my teachers) :o

As the Buddha once said, don't just believe things because your teacher told you but instead investigate them for yourself. :D Wise words indeed and especially relevant if your teacher is a bit of a cretin or has a sick sense of humour. Ta Ta

On the contrary, I have a different technique. I see something I like and have my Thai friend ask the price. He comes back to me and says, for example, 600 bhat. I take all the money from my wallet and pockets and put it in my back pocket - except for 490 bhat or so (including coins). I approach the shopkeeper, ask the price and of course it's like 700 bhat cuz I'm a farang. With a little acting, a look of dismay, I empty my front pockets and wallet and count out my money - 493 bhat and it's clear to the shopkeeper that that is all I have. I simply say, "sorry, maybe proongnee. 90% of the time before I can put my money away, the shopkeeper relents. It's called a 'soft con' and I've used it for 12 years here. Works like a charm. :D

On the contrary, I have a different technique. I see something I like and have my Thai friend ask the price. He comes back to me and says, for example, 600 baht. I take all the money from my wallet and pockets and put it in my back pocket - except for 490 baht or so (including coins). I approach the shopkeeper, ask the price and of course it's like 700 baht CZ I'm a farang. With a little acting, a look of dismay, I empty my front pockets and wallet and count out my money - 493 baht and it's clear to the shopkeeper that that is all I have. I simply say, "sorry, maybe pronging. 90% of the time before I can put my money away, the shopkeeper relents. It's called a 'soft con' and I've used it for 12 years here. Works like a charm. :D

Never, never buy big ticket items at the first outlet. Here comparison shopping, especially on big ticket items, is required. I know it's a pain but by simply going to another store I've saved tons of Baht this past month. I'm moving so I want to upgrade to LCD televisions. Power Buy in Central Rama III has a promotion. Buy a 47" Philips and get a 32" free. I said I wanted two 47's but only wanted one of the free 32", could they throw in a cheap home theater system instead."Cannot". I said you should ask you manager just in case. "Cannot". I went to Power Buy in Central Silom Complex. It took two hours but I walked out of there with everything I wanted and more. The salesman checked with the management and I saved about BT40,000 and it was essentially the same store.

Did the same thing with the bed. Home Pro had to give me a headboard I didn't want. I said you should probably check with your manager. "Cannot". I went straight to the Emporium and got the same bed without the unwanted headboard for Bt33,000 less and they added in about Bt20,000 worth of bedding and pillows on top of that.

what about in tennis when you put a little english(spin) on the ball.....this could be the only exception

a dog in England might be an english dog but not an English dog (according to my teachers). a flower that grows in England might be an english flower but not an English flower (according to my teachers) :D

On the contrary, I have a different technique. I see something I like and have my Thai friend ask the price. He comes back to me and says, for example, 600 baht. I take all the money from my wallet and pockets and put it in my back pocket - except for 490 baht or so (including coins). I approach the shopkeeper, ask the price and of course it's like 700 baht CZ I'm a farang. With a little acting, a look of dismay, I empty my front pockets and wallet and count out my money - 493 baht and it's clear to the shopkeeper that that is all I have. I simply say, "sorry, maybe pronging. 90% of the time before I can put my money away, the shopkeeper relents. It's called a 'soft con' and I've used it for 12 years here. Works like a charm. :D

Never, never buy big ticket items at the first outlet. Here comparison shopping, especially on big ticket items, is required. I know it's a pain but by simply going to another store I've saved tons of Baht this past month. I'm moving so I want to upgrade to LCD televisions. Power Buy in Central Rama III has a promotion. Buy a 47" Philips and get a 32" free. I said I wanted two 47's but only wanted one of the free 32", could they throw in a cheap home theater system instead."Cannot". I said you should ask you manager just in case. "Cannot". I went to Power Buy in Central Silom Complex. It took two hours but I walked out of there with everything I wanted and more. The salesman checked with the management and I saved about BT40,000 and it was essentially the same store.

Did the same thing with the bed. Home Pro had to give me a headboard I didn't want. I said you should probably check with your manager. "Cannot". I went straight to the Emporium and got the same bed without the unwanted headboard for Bt33,000 less and they added in about Bt20,000 worth of bedding and pillows on top of that.

I am sooooo glad I don't have to worry about a few hundred bhat.... or a thousand or two. If you're poor in Thailand, you're in trouble!

Edited by cluezo

what about in tennis when you put a little english(spin) on the ball.....this could be the only exception

This is NOT an exception, according to the Webster's dictionary. "E" is always a capital letter in the word "English". :D

who or what exactly are pidgeons and why do they speak pidgin english? :o

A pidgin is any simple or broken form of a language, esp. when used for communication between speakers of different languages.

I once spoke pidgeon English but I stopped after the pidgeon tried to hit me up for some money.

1. Asking me if they can take my wife....

2. Cheating on their own wife...

3. Thinking they are better than thai people because they are Farang... :o

What kind of people do you hang out with? Asking a man if you can screw is wife is like asking for a azz whoopin were I'm from.

1. Asking me if they can take my wife....

2. Cheating on their own wife...

3. Thinking they are better than thai people because they are Farang... :o

What kind of people do you hang out with? Asking a man if you can screw is wife is like asking for a azz whoopin were I'm from.

Agreed, anyone asked me that they would be eating through a straw for the next 3 months. Outrageous.