What Do Other Expats Do That You Hate?

Ulysses G.

So you dont have the will to cross your "property line" where is the area you live if you don't mind me asking?

i live outside Pattaya in a gated community, away from noise and pollution but conveniently close for my wife to reach all major shopping areas within 10-15 minutes.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isabelle17 said,

but I think it's ridiculous that pidgeon English a huge complaint....

My boyfriend doesn't speak excellent English...and sometimes its easier if I say things to him in a less complicated way.

In my view speaking to your boyfriend in broken/baby English only reinforces poor language performance. Once this poor means of communication is established it is hard to break.

Interestingly the development of pidgin English, and other pidgins, came about mostly through colonialism. The new masters refused to speak the local dialect and the natives were forced to do the best they could. With poor education it was usually far from perfect.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, insisting on correct language is arrogant and demeaning.

The goal should be communication and understanding each other.

onzestan

Well said !!!

It is a lot easier to understand someone who speaks a language well, and learners will never learn to speak well, unless they have heard the language spoken correctly on a regular basis. :o

Well UG,can you please explain in perfect English,how you can expect someone to learn and understand a new language unless it is spoken perfectly to him on a regular basis when he does not understand ONE WORD in the first place !!!!!!!!

Teach them some words and then string them together in short, easy sentences and then expand on that. :D

"I live in Pattaya in a gated community"

Do you mean that you live in a Mooban that happens to have a gate and a security guard at the end of it or in a 'community' with shopping malls and cinemas and a weird religious commune?

"I live in Pattaya in a gated community"

Do you mean that you live in a Mooban that happens to have a gate and a security guard at the end of it or in a 'community' with shopping malls and cinemas and a weird religious commune?

that's what i meant. i am a weirdo but not a religious one :o

It has to be the brain-dead creeps who think that when they speak Pidgin English, they are speaking Thai, so they go around leaving all the pronouns out and throwing in the two Thai words they know in every sentence and act all cool like they really know how to communicate here.

Even worse are the morons that speak Pidgin English to other foreigners. I have a really hard time not telling them what I think of them.

The other day, I heard a new one, this fellow was speaking with his girlfriend who spoke English very well, but when he answered her in English, he would imitate her Thai accent and all the mistakes that she made.

He wasn't doing it to make fun of her as he did it for 45 minutes straight. Somehow he thought that they were speaking Thai and he was a really cool guy! :o

I know exactly the sort of person you're talking about. I've been here for 12 years and have run into hundreds of these idiots. I agree with you 100%. They say things like "I go to shopping" when the Thai person they're talking to would understand perfectly: "I'm going shopping." I'd like to take a hatchet to them. They no good very very!

I've removed a number of posts from this thread and must offer the following public warnings:

1. I have deleted a surprisingly well-behaved but off-topic discussion about pedophilia, which is not permitted (in general) on Thaivisa as a result of its inflammatory nature. This is not a topic about pedophilia and it will continue not to be a topic about pedophilia. The next poster who fails to grasp this will earn an official warning off-the-bat.

2. I have also removed a discussion of different persons' opinions of gay sexuality, which is off-topic in this thread. I suggest that persons who wish to discuss these kinds of topics visit our Gay Subforum. However, inflammatory comments about minorities are not tolerated anywhere on Thaivisa, and that includes referring to homosexuals (or blacks, women, Jews, left-handed persons, etc.) as "unnatural/disgusting," etc.

3. This thread seems to be deteriorating in tone and if it continues to do so it will be closed soon.

It has to be the brain-dead creeps who think that when they speak Pidgin English, they are speaking Thai, so they go around leaving all the pronouns out and throwing in the two Thai words they know in every sentence and act all cool like they really know how to communicate here.

Even worse are the morons that speak Pidgin English to other foreigners. I have a really hard time not telling them what I think of them.

The other day, I heard a new one, this fellow was speaking with his girlfriend who spoke English very well, but when he answered her in English, he would imitate her Thai accent and all the mistakes that she made.

He wasn't doing it to make fun of her as he did it for 45 minutes straight. Somehow he thought that they were speaking Thai and he was a really cool guy! :o

I know exactly the sort of person you're talking about. I've been here for 12 years and have run into hundreds of these idiots. I agree with you 100%. They say things like "I go to shopping" when the Thai person they're talking to would understand perfectly: "I'm going shopping." I'd like to take a hatchet to them. They no good very very!

I agree, but suspect the vast majority of these poor slobs are first time visitors.

Of course, it is possible that some of these guys are not natural English speakers, but both parties are having to use English as the common language.

Anyway, how do you know what the Thai person would "understand perfectly".

Can't you just let people get on with enjoying their lives without getting all het up about it.

BTW - How would you explain "I'd like to take a hatchet to them" to the average Thai person?

wow, i guess i will piss a lot of people off on this topic: i consistently do the following that seems to upset many people on this thread

1. wear yellow shirt on Mondays. Thai people seem to appreciate it

2. walk hand in hand with my 21 year old, college girl friend. I am 61

3. speak broken Thai to Thai people, including my girlfriend [who can speak English rather well]. Thai people usually appreciate the fact that i am trying and my Thai is getting much better as I do this. A learning experience as many will try and help me along

4. I consider Nahm a friend : )

5. I have a nice house in a nice neighborhood. It is really not a bad thing.

6. I try to treat all Thai people as I would like to be treated

7. I am retired here and don't work.

hope you all can live with that, I try not to step on anyone's toes.

Jimmy

wow, i guess i will piss a lot of people off on this topic: i consistently do the following that seems to upset many people on this thread

Don't forget using incorrect capitalization and punctuation. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

BTW - How would you explain "I'd like to take a hatchet to them" to the average Thai person?

Where did I mention in my post that I would try to explain "I'd like to take a hatchet to them" to the average Thai person? And what the hel_l is "het?"

1. wear yellow shirt on Mondays. Thai people seem to appreciate it

2. walk hand in hand with my 21 year old, college girl friend. I am 61

3. speak broken Thai to Thai people, including my girlfriend [who can speak English rather well]. Thai people usually appreciate the fact that i am trying and my Thai is getting much better as I do this. A learning experience as many will try and help me along

4. I consider Nahm a friend : )

5. I have a nice house in a nice neighborhood. It is really not a bad thing.

6. I try to treat all Thai people as I would like to be treated

7. I am retired here and don't work.

hope you all can live with that, I try not to step on anyone's toes.

Jimmy

you are spoiling my reputation Jimmy :o don't even think to disclose that we are emptying once in a while a bottle of Sherry together! :D

Can somebody please explain to me how 'I go you house' is easier for a Thai to understand. Most of these baby-English phrases don't even follow Thai Grammar. It is just that somebody used this structure by mistake and now wally English speakers mimic it and by doing so give Thais the impression that it is the right way to speak.

Where did I mention in my post that I would try to explain "I'd like to take a hatchet to them" to the average Thai person? And what the hel_l is "het?"

You were asserting that an "average thai person" (your words) would understand English phrases, without the need for simplifying (or pidgin, as some have described it).

By quoting your (over)reaction, "I'd like to take a hatchet to them", I was merely pointing out an irony. It would be very difficult to explain this phrase to your "average Thai" - they would probably think you were mad.

Het up –noun Informal. 1.indignant; irate; upset: She was really het up about the new city tax.

I really don't have too much of a problem with pidgeon English.

What I really don't like is seeing foreigners going barebacked in public. I see both men and women on motorbikes with no shirts on and think "God help them if they come off!". I especially dont' like seeing same in restaurants and bars.

Where I come from, they would be told, politely, to put their shirts on, even in the lowliest establishments. It is very disrespectful IMO.

Two things: those god-awful pants that aren't shorts and aren't pants.....they are like girl's pedal-pushers or 'high-water' pants............look absolutely terrible and I am sure these guys do not look in the mirror. What is it with all these back-packs? I have lived here 10 years and have never needed one. All stores have bags for your purchases, and other than shopping, you only need a small copy of your passport and some cash. I am beginning to think that guys want to be more like girls, with their big purses..........and have every personal convenience on their person at all times........look like high school kids. [email protected]

Maybe you speak Thai but you do not understand Thai people.It seems to bother you about this pigeon english but it does not bother Thais.Just a way to communicate.What matters to Thai people is if you are friendly and treat people well. If you speak pigeon English,or bad Thai,noone cares, if you have good heart.

My father is English and my mother is Thai,and he never speak Thai so well,but Thai people love him because he is happy and does not judge other people. Worse thing to do for Thai is look down other people,but seems like you look down other expats and people who cannot speak Thai.For other expat people who read this,number 1 thing to live happy in Thailand is have good heart.Smile and joke with people and they will love you here.Does not matter how you talk.If you judge other people too much,you will not be happy in Thailand or anywhere.

Maybe you speak Thai but you do not understand Thai people.

My father is English and my mother is Thai,and he never speak Thai so well,but Thai people love him because he is happy and does not judge other people. Worse thing to do for Thai is look down other people

I am sorry but Thai people are the most elitist and class conscious people I have ever known. Thai's DO look down on people, more than your average Westerner.

My father is English and my mother is Thai,and he never speak Thai so well,but Thai people love him because he is happy and does not judge other people. Worse thing to do for Thai is look down other people

I am sorry but Thai people are the most elitist and class conscious people I have ever known. Thai's DO look down on people, more than your average Westerner.

I find that sweeping generalisations can be quite irritating.

If you're talking about the middle-aged hotel receptionist with big hair you may have a point, if you are referring to my local noodle stall owner (and practically everyone else I meet daily) you haven't.

I find that sweeping generalisations can be quite irritating.

Well I was talking about Thai attitudes in general, it wsn't aimed at anyone specificaly. If you get irritated that easily then maybe you shouldn't be involved in an internet forum. And I have seen these look down the nose attitudes from a lot of people here, mainly directed at other Thais.

I really don't like people pretending to be rich, with their 1 million a month incomes, company benz and company paid condo in Sukhumvit.

As they strut around in their Hugo Boss suits, wearing their panarai and with their bank balances bulging with cash, trust fund and holiday home they just bought in Phuket, all I can think is 'you aren't fooling me'

Alternatively, other than this group, I also am not a huge fan of the guys who tell me what a pack of losers Thai people are, usually using pidgeon english to do so, as surely having Thai blood I must also be a moron.

The annoying thing is not that they think I am a moron (after all, I am) but more to do with how they are able to figure it out so fast when they only just met me!

This guy is the PERFECT example of the Looser azz haters that I can't STAND here. They see someone with a lil money, shinin, doin their thing, enjoying life and they want to hate. I hate Haters. I mean really, when I see someone thats doing well I'm Happy. If they are doing what I would like to do I want to talk to them, learn from them if I can and duplicate that success for my self. But HATE? no thats weak and peasant-like. Don't hate the player, hate the Game LOOSER!

Why these people can't be more like some of my friends I don't know. I have a buddy of mine who doesn't have much at all, kinda struggling along figuring out what he wants to do here. He knows how I do and yet he is happy for me, never asked me for a cent and never asked me for a job. He congratulates me on my efforts, and while I don't brag or show off my success around him, he knows and doesn't judge ME as a person by whats in my bank account or where I live.

Not like Steve here who is gonna hate if you have a nice condo and a wardrobe full of suits.

Their are jerks who are rich, and a plenty who are poor.

I personally cant stand the grimy, cheap azz scuzzy Kho-Sarn road back packers haggling over 5 baht for a moo ping stick ...if you can't afford to travel stay home. I don't hate them I just find them to be distasteful. Also I don't like the gaggles of chineese tour groups that they have been letting invade Siam Paragorn recently. I mean <deleted>? they lead them around with flags like heards of sheap, to gawk at sh!t they can't afford and mess up the ambiance of Thailand's only real high end Mall.

Yes now that I think about it I spoke wrong.There are Thai people who look down on other people especially about money.I think what I should say is most Thai people would not look down at farang who speaks pidgin english,or speaks thai but not well.I should say that man who started this topic seems to look down at other expats,but he does not understand Thai people.I mean most Thai people.There are good people and bad people everywhere,including Thailand.And I also think Thailand is different in city and small town,sameas England.

mess up the ambiance of Thailand's only real high end Mall.

Dear Huey

I think the ambience of that place was messed up when they bulldozed the beautiful park to build the mall, in the name of attracting expat (and tourist) consumers.