What's Up With Norby's In Surin?

dkstoney

I know off topic - good luck to Norby...I seem to remember going down there on the opening day..ish..

But I had a little win on the football...so I thought you might like to see the result

Should any of you care to mention one of these bottles the first 5 will get a part of the tonnes of archer in the shape of one bottle!!

Makes me miss home:

post-49916-1223788075_thumb.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about for all November so I'll see you all for a 'non smokey' beer at FC I'm sure...I hope Drogba is injured long enough that I don't have to witness a smug look on Lampard!!

Hey see you soon guys...loking forward to it...no problem first Archers on me....at the equivalent tonne price of course 'Lampard'. :o

ok here's the deal.....I will try and bring in a couple of bottles.(3)..should I manage.... if you guys are up for it...Martin can run a small raffle for the local charity.....nothing major....just a bit of fun and somebody benefits...unless you want specific....I will bring... 1 Broadside a lovely dark hoppy beer from suffolk(my favourite and on Draft in a pub near Paddington)1 Mcewans champion....and I badger champion......you guys can decide how it works....I'm just the mule ok......and....yes Dave I like the honeydew too but it is too sweet to be a serious beer...unless it is free.....no chance of that going well in FC.

Original poster...I never have quite got to grips with IPA....I think once I had a really good pint at Whitby......does that sound bad..sorry!!

see you soon guys

Is that the Bitburger beer he had? YES

Does it smell smoky? NO :D

Did he have a smile for you on your arrival? YES (why? doesnt he for you then?0 :o:D:D

John.

No he didn't actually.

Don't no why, as he should have, as he always ripped me off with that buy 4 get 1 free caper. I always bought 4 and never got my so called "freebie".

Miserable bar steward that he is.

That's why I always drink at the FC, you know your never gonna get anything there, so your never disappointed or leave feeling ripped off yet again.

John.

That's why I always drink at the FC, you know your never gonna get anything there, so your never disappointed or leave feeling ripped off yet again.

John.

Only abuse from BFG :D

When we meet up oneday, I buy you a beer John.

Dave

Cheers Dave, It's a deal.

I'll even buy you one back.

Don't think I'll be back for Xmas this year, hopefully March or Songkraan time, the sooner the better as Yorkie is running low on his Yorkshire Hammonds Chop Sauce, made in Lancashire. :o

John.....

Edited by johnsurin

Only abuse from BFG :o

I never abuse anyone you <deleted> :D

When we first opened we stocked

Bishops Finger

Spitfire

Hobgoblin

London Pride

Directors

Wadworthsxxxxxx

Old Peculiar

Fiddlers Elbow

Old Speckled Hen and a couple I've forgotten

But then the Customs raided me and spoiled the party.( and I paid duty on it when the container came in)

Now we're down to 23 beers.

Edited by farangconnection

Bishops Finger

Spitfire

Hobgoblin

London Pride

Directors

Wadworthsxxxxxx

Old Speckled Hen

and a couple I've forgotten

But then the Customs raided me and spoiled the party.( and I paid duty on it when the container came in)

I was joking, that why a put the :D on the end of the sentance.

Dave (BTW another tasty meat pie yesterday,Thanks)

Bishops Finger

Spitfire

Hobgoblin

London Pride

Directors

Wadworthsxxxxxx

Old Peculiar

Fiddlers Elbow

Old Speckled Hen and a couple I've forgotten

What can I say....I am disappointed,it would appear I have been blind and badly advised.......only to drink Archers,Leo and Chang in your establishment......are the other 20 very expensive then???........of course bearing in mind that cost is only relative to your thirst and taste buds...... :D

noby's famous smokked beers yuk.........

Superb spelling Mikey!

Still, you are Canadian so I suppose we can let you off for not be able to write english.

John.

da keyboard is ready frozen here in canuckal land same as me beers..no smokey greasey beers in da kooler like at your noby's establishment, but i guess thats what you pay extra for,, the smell and feel of the old homeland,, included with your beer purchase...

da keyboard is ready frozen here in canuckal land same as me beers..no smokey greasey beers in da kooler.

[/quote}

So how do you expect to survive the winter without any frozen bears.

And I didn't think you needed a freezer there, just put things outside to freeze.

What can I say....I am disappointed,it would appear I have been blind and badly advised.......only to drink Archers,Leo and Chang in your establishment......are the other 20 very expensive then???........of course bearing in mind that cost is only relative to your thirst and taste buds...... :o

Now our import beers are down to the basics

John Smiths

Guinness

Natch Bristol Cider

Old English

Dry Blackthorn

Gaymers Original

Bulmers Original ( Magnus)

Stella Artios ( waiting new stock)

Hoegaarden ( same)

Warsteiner

Lowenbrau

Hofbrau

Erdinger weiss

Erdinger dark weiss

Can't get Grolsch anymore, and we stopped doing Australian beers, Corona,Copperburg & Kingfisher.

But hang on, this thread is about Nobby's place not mine. He's the one that needs support, I've got plenty.

• 1 year later...

Whats up with Nobby's in Surin?

Probably the same thing that was up with Nobby's when he was in Nongkhai, and what made him move to Surin. :)

It was going to happen sooner or later and the merry-go-round looks like its coming full circle...he did a fab Spag Bol when he was in Nongkhai though.

Guemlum

ok here's the deal.....I will try and bring in a couple of bottles.(3)..should I manage.... if you guys are up for it...Martin can run a small raffle for the local charity.....nothing major....just a bit of fun and somebody benefits...unless you want specific....I will bring... 1 Broadside a lovely dark hoppy beer from suffolk(my favourite and on Draft in a pub near Paddington)1 Mcewans champion....and I badger champion......you guys can decide how it works....I'm just the mule ok......and....yes Dave I like the honeydew too but it is too sweet to be a serious beer...unless it is free.....no chance of that going well in FC.

Original poster...I never have quite got to grips with IPA....I think once I had a really good pint at Whitby......does that sound bad..sorry!!

see you soon guys

Just remember in the FC we used to do

Fiddlers Elbow

Spitfire

Theakstons

Directors

Hobgoblin

Bishops Finger

Wadworths

Becks

Holsten..................................Until of course the inevitable happened and someone tipped off the customs and we had it all taken away by the boys in blue. And we paid duty on it. That was five years ago, so as you can see the vendetta against us has been going quite a while.

It's nothing to do with that. Apparantly, so I hear, he put his beer prices up,so the locals that Nobby had now use the coffee shop in the bus station. Toney's not far off when he says that a lot of them carry their own tea-bags cause they can get hot water free. :) When I do my weekly shopping for coffee and some cheeses and things at Nobby's there's never anyone in now days. Shame, cause I do like the guy.He came and had a chat with me last week,pouring out his troubles. I think he has got to the stage where he hates Surin. I personally think he is in the wrong position. His street IS the livliest street in Surin, but only between the hours of 23.00 & 02.30 when he's closed.

That's rather unfortunate. I wonder if his {supposed} disdain for Surin was high when he was doing a thriving business, certainly in a local marketplace that doesn't have to much competition. Certain types of businesses will always be a crap shoot.....perhaps he needs to move or adjust/tweek accordingly.

Friend of mine has been there yesterday evening and was surprised after all the rumors here. The food was pretty good ther was nothing smelling, local beer and..... 2 nice ladys working there ( not his wife )

Just driven past and all the time I've been in Surin, I have never seen so many customers in there.

Hopefully, he is doing something right.

Chock dee

Dave

I put in my welcome letter to all the Farangs coming this weekend, as well as Mikes, I did put Nobbies. And lots of people asked me where they were. I didn't think he had many, because once more I spotted him in the bushes seeing how many other people had.Although I use him regular,but it is well known in Udon, that he would never set foot in on of his oppositions places, except to shout abuse at his regulars going to another place. All that said, I still like the guy a little now. This diminishes month by month. It's little things like this one why people do not like him normally I once tried to help Norbie by putting him in my newsletter, when I used to write it and take it to all the hotels in town. I put there is a nice German restaurant in Soi Kola. The next time I went in there, he started shouting at me, " What the hel_l do you think you are doing. You are a <deleted>. I am not a German restaurant, I am a European restaurant. Get that f**ing <deleted> out of your paper now"

Two days later a film crew came round, from Hessicsher Rundfunk ( a German TV network) that had been filoming Gunters story, a german that owns a petrol station in Ta Meuan. They said they would like to film a German restaurant they heard was in town.

What could I say after my bollicking. I told them there was no German restaurant in town. They ended up staying a week, hiring one of my cars and spending a fortune. Thanks Norbie, anther reason to like him.

I put in my welcome letter to all the Farangs coming this weekend, as well as Mikes, I did put Nobbies. And lots of people asked me where they were. I didn't think he had many, because once more I spotted him in the bushes seeing how many other people had.Although I use him regular,but it is well known in Udon, that he would never set foot in on of his oppositions places, except to shout abuse at his regulars going to another place. All that said, I still like the guy a little now. This diminishes month by month. It's little things like this one why people do not like him normally I once tried to help Norbie by putting him in my newsletter, when I used to write it and take it to all the hotels in town. I put there is a nice German restaurant in Soi Kola. The next time I went in there, he started shouting at me, " What the hel_l do you think you are doing. You are a <deleted>. I am not a German restaurant, I am a European restaurant. Get that f**ing <deleted> out of your paper now"

Two days later a film crew came round, from Hessicsher Rundfunk ( a German TV network) that had been filoming Gunters story, a german that owns a petrol station in Ta Meuan. They said they would like to film a German restaurant they heard was in town.

What could I say after my bollicking. I told them there was no German restaurant in town. They ended up staying a week, hiring one of my cars and spending a fortune. Thanks Norbie, anther reason to like him.

Always had good food and service from him when i go, no problems at all....i suspect that certain eating places are loosing custom due to new and better ones opening up and people are voting with there feet or should i say taste...the surin restuarant war continues... a bit Monotonous now, strangly the best falang food in surin is outside, namely, shamrock,coffee corner and gary`s.....and yes i`ve tried them all, before you ask...

:) ..Nobby's upto his old tricks again. He used to do exactly the same in Nongkhai. He would walk around the block pretending he was going for a stroll, and would look inside every bar to see if any of his customers were drinking or eating in another bar. This would make him furious and as a result would confront his customers and bar owners. He tried it on with me on one occasion, so I gave him a piece of my mind and threatened to put him flat on his back. Never happened again, but I think that his actions resulted in him moving on to Surin, and I can see the same thing happening very soon. Good luck Nobby!!..555

Guemlum

I have never had a problem with Norby. Sure he can be a little abrupt at times but that's just his personality. I have eaten in every Falang establishment in the province and think that Norby's food is the best hands down. Mike (Starbeam) is running a close second and may surpass Norby's soon. Both have different cooking styles as well as different menus, so I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I am not Brit and no offense to Brits as i am sure some know how to change it up a bit, ( though not in Surin province) but you can keep you "bangers" (or whatever you call them), mash and peas, and other blandness. If if want a good bland meal I will head home and phone one of my Irish relatives. :)

Edited by mizzi39

]the surin restuarant war continues...

Funny that, we have been here 7 years, and The Farang Connection for 13 and never noticed ant " Surin restaurant wars"

That's the problem, yet anther rumour monger saying we are at everyones throats. I guess though one more that can't read, as I thought I clearly stated that I told my customers other places to go apart from mine. Still, most peop[le on this forum only read with one eye. There was a time briefly, when a certain owner did try everything in his power to do away with me, and although he refused to tell his customers about us, I still; sent lots of people to him who wanted Pizza's. And I think I as well have tried every Falang restaurant in Surin. About 27 of them since I have been here.

No, Mr Husskydog, Surin is quite the opposite, all the bar owners except one getting on great with, and more important helping eacxh other. The one exception though is no trouble to anyone at all.