Car Rebody

tvmax

It is legal to change the body on a car? Example is take a VW bug and put on a porsch speedster fiberglass body. There are companies that make many different bodies that go on a VW platform.

Thanks

It is legal to change the body on a car? Example is take a VW bug and put on a porsch speedster fiberglass body. There are companies that make many different bodies that go on a VW platform.

Thanks

In fact I am doing a speedster for myself right now, and I know of a guy in BKK that rebodies a Merc

Yes it can be done, but to make it 100% legal you need to have the new body approved by an Engineer, (which is not a big deal) and pay the excise tax on the new body. Register the body change in the book

Having said that, there are lots of buggy style cars running about that has not gone the legal route - TIT.

Importing the kit is a problem however as the authorities are against importing the parts to build a complete car. You can import a body, but the duty on a body is 80% plus 7% VAT on the CIF value. The easy way is to get the body locally, local cloned kit parts, local suppliers for the Beetle bits, leaving only bespoke parts to be imported.

I can make you a flared style RHD speedster body in Chiangmai

• 3 months later...

My own expirience:

I midifized a Suzuku Carribean, year 1989. T toke off the roof and made a soft top, cut the chassis and made the car 30cm shorter, put in a 1.6 liter Vitara engine and fit a lot of extras. Replaced Engine need import documents. When i sold the car and changed the name to the new owner, i have to go and weight the car, payd about 8k and got now the correct bock

So if you have a car and do a rebody, How much can you modify the chassie? Can do anything including custom frame and upgraded brakes? Just has to pass an engineers inspection? Can you totally redo the frame? Are these engineers at the motor vehicle registry?

Thanks