Abuse Of The [quote] Facility

bkkmick

Hi

Too many people quote the whole original post, or even worse quote that together with subsequent posts. Normally this is a pain in the arse, but when I'm sitting having a coffee waiting on my wife shopping and decide to have a read of TV on my mobile phone the infernal quoting takes ages to scroll through.

Personally I'm never interested in reading the quote again. Would it be possible (maybe it is already and I haven't found it) to have a check box in our control panel which says "Don't show Quotes" then reading posts without having to scroll through the posts where idiots have quoted again and again.

Cheers

Mick

I too often use my phone to read Thai Visa. It is indeed a pain to scroll through the original as well as subsequent posts. If these posters would quote the pertinent part that their reply addresses, a lot of band width and time would be saved.

Sorry Guys, maybe I need to clarify.

If, for example, you read the post about the GOM in Emporium you will see all through each page of the thread people

quoting
previous postings. Also multi-quoting before typing what they actually say. Now, I've already read what they're quoting and think that it just clutters up the page (especially if I'm reading on my mobile phone as it takes ages to scroll past the re-quoted text).

I was hoping that the techy's could add a check box that, when checked, simply ignored all the

quotes
and just displayed what the blogger wrote.

Make sense? (still a bit early for me).

All the best

Mick

Most of the time, we do not bother to edit like that (my own dial-up speed is very slow), but it is good to know what a problem it makes for those who use their mobiles. I had a mobile with microwave, toaster and doghouse, but it was too heavy for my pocket. Bargirl asked me, "Is that a very large mobile in your pocket, handsome man, or are you just happy to see me?"

Thanks PeaceBlondie - I wasn't suggesting that you poor moderators manually edited the quotes out, rather that we have an option to block them from being displayed.

Thanks to the funny guys at the top... :o

I wasn't suggesting that you poor moderators manually edited the quotes out

Mick, they are far from poor. Word has it that a mods job on TV pays between 500k-750k baht a month, depending on the time they spend on their knees in front of the Admin's :o

I wasn't suggesting that you poor moderators manually edited the quotes out

Mick, they are far from poor. Word has it that a mods job on TV pays between 500k-750k baht a month, depending on the time they spend on their knees in front of the Admin's :o

Even higher depending on what they do while on said knees.

I believe one Mod does not have any legs to stand on....what does he do ?

What is needed in many cases is for the people with the power to b*tch-slap various posters that insist on quoting entire posts and sneaking a word or two inside the quote (often in the same colour/font as the original), or just add a smiley (inside the quote as well). :o

Then double b*tch-slap the next person that quotes the previous posters entire post and does the same thing. :D

I know at least one Mod that (time permitting I assume) will delete large blocks of quotes from responses, especially when someone quotes a huge post and adds a one or two word reply, but that is very time consuming (and I imagine quite annoying).

I don't know if there is a way to show the size of a thread (i.e. how many kbs of space a single thread takes up in the database), but there are some that must consume huge amounts of memory in relation to their size, largely due to people insistently quoting quotes of quotes.

Maybe there is a way to throttle back the number of nested quotes allowed in a post ? I think the limit is currently 10. Perhaps if it was dropped to 3, it could cut out a lot of the crap. Wouldn't stop those that insist on quoting a single post (just to add a smiley or what ever), but it would cut down on some of those monster posts that you have to scroll through 3-4 screens until you see which smiley was added to it. :D

I wrote a little javascript that hides quotes and adds toggle "show/hide" button. So far it works ok.

In Opera I can use it as my custom javascript file, for everyone else it needs to be uploaded on Thaivisa site.

If anyone is interested, PM me.

post-17897-1212138065_thumb.jpg

post-17897-1212138078_thumb.jpg

This is how Maestro's example looks in my Opera.

This trick is a part of a larger script that strips Thaivisa of all advertising and banners. Second picture is the top of a TV page - very neat, I even got rid of those yellow links.

The script won't work properly on a mobile phone, they are not designed to use javascript, afaik.

Opera on mobile will show only "show" button and hide quotes, but clicking on the button won't reveal the hidden text - you'll never see those quotes again. I don't know what will happen to other mobile browsers, probably nothing.

For desktop users I can post the part of the script for quotes, but mods probably won't let me post "strip ads" part. It will work on Opera and Firefox straight away, I hope, you'll need MonkeyGrease plugin to enable it. There must be a way to run it under IE7 but I haven't a clue how about that at the moment.

post-17897-1212150848_thumb.jpg

post-17897-1212151556_thumb.jpg