Ulysses G.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ughh sorry, amended the wording again:

(Mods, would appreciate if you could remove the other other attachments please, so as to not cause confusion.)

Hey,

Great work your all doing, your word 'santuary' is still spelt wrong though

sanCtuary

Cheers

You may want to contact Lanna Dog Rescue (www.lannadog.net) as well. They have often sterilization days where many dogs and so far I know cats as well get spayed and neutered for free.

Nienke

Nienke PMed me a number yesterday, but it has been "busy" for more than 24 hours and I can't reach Nienke by PM. Does anyone else know the number? :D

uuuuuhhhhhhh, mentioned already in another thread that I'm a total disaster where it concerns computer stuff. Had uploaded a couple of spyware programs. This lead to such a problem that I couldn't open windows anymore and had to bring it to my computerman for repair. :o

Have send you a pm with another nr already.

Nienke

I just posted a link to this page on Facebook: on my own account and on a group I set up called Chiang Mai-ers.

The message will go out to the 200 members of the group. I'm also thinking that I'm going to try to post links to all of the other Chiang Mai groups on Facebook. Every little helps, I reckon.

On a personal note, we adopted a cat from a temple in the city and it gave us great joy. Unfortunately she died a little while ago - she was attacked and killed by one of the village dogs. A week later another rescue kitten of ours was killed when she was run over by someone in our village. We found her close to death under a neighbour's house, and the hospital couldn't save her. We still have 4 rescue cats left (two are kittens) and we cherish them dearly.

And on a similar note - my (Thai) husband and I stopped to pick up a small dog in the middle of the road on the way to Lamphun yesterday. He had obviously been hit by a vehicle and had blood pouring from his mouth but was still alive. It was a busy street with plenty of houses but no-one seemed remotely interested. We managed to find a vet nearby who said there was nothing he could do to save the dog and we paid 200 baht to have the dog put down. The vet wouldn't take the body so we took it home and buried it in our own garden. I cried all the way home to Doi Saket for a dog I didn't even know. And I'm trying hard not to be angry about this. There must have been scores of cars that just drove past. I've been living here for more than four years now and I wonder if I'll ever get used to it...

MCL

And on a similar note - my (Thai) husband and I stopped to pick up a small dog in the middle of the road on the way to Lamphun yesterday. He had obviously been hit by a vehicle and had blood pouring from his mouth but was still alive. It was a busy street with plenty of houses but no-one seemed remotely interested. We managed to find a vet nearby who said there was nothing he could do to save the dog and we paid 200 baht to have the dog put down. The vet wouldn't take the body so we took it home and buried it in our own garden. I cried all the way home to Doi Saket for a dog I didn't even know. And I'm trying hard not to be angry about this. There must have been scores of cars that just drove past. I've been living here for more than four years now and I wonder if I'll ever get used to it...

MCL

My personal thanks to you and your husband for the kindness you showed for that dog. Sadly, the indifference shown to animal welfare by most Thais is something that we never quite get used to, just try to keep your sense of compassion working. Who knows, in time maybe things will change for the better!

Our rescue cats and kittens are an endless source of joy to me and my Thai boyfriend, I don't think either of us could imagine life without them.

What about people remote from Chiang Mai?? Have you ever considered a web site, will make one for free if you require. PayPal donation buttons to an account, now Thai bank accounts can be registered I am told. What can Bangkokians do?? I ran this kind of rescue center in Japan for 10yrs, willing to help, but its heart breaking work.

Oz

What about people remote from Chiang Mai?? Have you ever considered a web site, will make one for free if you require. PayPal donation buttons to an account, now Thai bank accounts can be registered I am told.

So many people are interested that I am thinking about a website and will let you know, if so. Over on another thread, some folks said that having one and tieing it to a system like Paypal is much safer than giving out a bank account number.

The pharmaceutical industry that sells the vaccines have in their guidelines to NEVER vaccinate an animal (or human that is) when it is suffering a disease or injury as it increases the chances on (serious) side-effects.

However, I do understand the rescue lady very well, saying to have the animal vaccinated while it is sterilized. It is way much easier as you don't need to catch the animal twice.

Some say that the risks on side-effects are very small, but then that is based on only approximately 10% of all side-effects that are actually reported as such (based on figures in The States).

Nienke

Those cats don't seem very hard to catch. Perhaps we can wait and give them their shots at a different time? :o

I agree with that. They are actually so affectionate that they seem harder to avoid than to catch :D

/ Priceless

In order to reduce any health risks, in my opinion, I think vaccinations and sterilization should be way apart.

Fact is that many strays already have a depressed immune system due to malnutrion and many carry disease (such as from ticks and fleas, or under the cats FIV, leukemia and/or FIP). While in that state they get operated for sterilization and then on top of that the vaccines.

Problem is that when you first get the strays back into health before you sterilize them, you will have loads of kittens and pups in the meantime.

Testing the animals for underlying disease cost a lot of money, plus you need to catch them a couple of times or keep them convined while waiting for the test results.

Also doing sterilization and vaccination at different times (at least one month in between) will involve (lots) more work, time and money.

It's a choice you have to make.

Nienke

In order to reduce any health risks, in my opinion, I think vaccinations and sterilization should be way apart.

Fact is that many strays already have a depressed immune system due to malnutrion and many carry disease (such as from ticks and fleas, or under the cats FIV, leukemia and/or FIP). While in that state they get operated for sterilization and then on top of that the vaccines.

Problem is that when you first get the strays back into health before you sterilize them, you will have loads of kittens and pups in the meantime.

Testing the animals for underlying disease cost a lot of money, plus you need to catch them a couple of times or keep them convined while waiting for the test results.

Also doing sterilization and vaccination at different times (at least one month in between) will involve (lots) more work, time and money.

It's a choice you have to make.

Nienke

I agree with Nienke, it is probably much better to do the "fixing" and the vaccination at different times. Both constitute a strain on the animal, causing double strain at one time is not a good idea.

My impression from meeting the cats is that they are mostly in good health, but a check-up is certainly in order before the "fixing". It is probably best to let the veterinarian decide whether to vaccinate or sterilize first.

/ Priceless

Only one kitten looked in ill health and he/she is too young for sterilization.

The woman that I talked to from Dog Rescue told me to be careful about bringing the cats away to be fixed because when you bring them back to the Wat, the monks think that they are new ones and start to get angry that you are "bringing" so many cats. Therefore, I think that it is better to have them all done at the Wat, but the problem then is giving them medicine every day after the operation. She felt that the monks would agree to do it, but it is quite a chore, so they wouldn't carry it out.

I don't know if Khun Dee can be relied on to give them antibiotics for a few days, or not.

Eek put this topic up before, but we just visited the Wat and they are having problems feeding the cats that they have taken in. We are bringing bags of dried cat food and so is Eek (cheapest is big bags of dry food at Mackro), but there are lots of cats and too many days in a month.

The place has lots of very nice cats and kittens and they all enjoy being petted and playing with humans.

There is one very nice Thai man who takes care of them and he must be doing something right as they are all very loving and get along with each other very well. When he runs out of food he often pays himself, but I doubt if he can afford it.

If you want to visit, Wat Pa Pao is on Manee Noparat Road (the same road as Huay Keow road that runs in front of Kad Suan Keow) that runs along the canal outside the old city. If you are coming from Kad Suan Kaew, look to your left, shortly before the road turns South to go towards Thapae Gate. There is a big Gate out front.

Anyone who wants to help, but doesn't have time to go there can drop off cat food at any branch of Gecko Books or PM Eek via Thai Visa.

They also need medicine to keep fleas under control. We are checking to see how expensive it is.

We feed all the stray cats and dogs in our neighborhood, but there are a number of organizations helping dogs, but only one helping cats. If you feel sorry for them and can spare the money, please help. :o

As long time animal helper in Thailand, I always stress that the most important action to be taken with any stray dogs/cats - also not strays! - has to be sterilization. For me, it's even

more important than organizing regular feeding. When I read that a cat at the temple had flu-like symptoms, I immediately thought, 'Feline HIV'. This dreadful disease is becoming

prevalent in the cat population of Thailand. Sterilization will prevent it being passed on to a large extent, although cats can also become infected through biting. There is no danger to

humans from it. Feline leukemia is also a big problem. Good luck to anyone helping with the kitties at the temple. There are never enough people willing to take action in the world of

Thai unwanted animals. I would offer, but I'm busy getting all the stray dogs in my area sterilized.

Took the family today to see the little suckers. We took a small quantity of pellets and 10 'pla too miow'. The latter were the hot favourite. As Khun Dee told my wife, they are Thai cats, they like Thai cats food. The pellets are practical and they certainly eat them when hungry enough, but they woofed down the fish, even the kittens. The pla too miow are 5 for 10 baht from a market.

Khun dee mentioned that someone had donated some anti-tick medicine and anti-cough medicine. They all looked OK as far as Thai cats go. There are 15 now.

-CB

Folks, do you think our generosity is blowing Khun Dee's mind? I'm really impressed with you guys, and I'm going to drop off some more food tomorrow because blowing people's minds is one of my hobbies.

removed as per the rules, no solicitation

If you're going to do anything constructive, catch and fix ALL of the cats. It has to be a great problem to have all these cats running around, between inbreeding and health issues of their excrement being left everywhere. These cats are the result of Thais throwing grown pets away. They think they are sweet and nice while babies but as soon as they are grown, they just throw them away. Have a pet, keep it in your own place, don't force others to take care of them or put up with their nasty habits of spraying urine and shitting all over other people's places.

I'll post that removed bank account info on CEC's Google Group and Events listing later today.

Yes, most definitely, fixing ALL the cats would be such a good thing. There are several groups doing this for the local dogs, but none for the local cats. I'd love to see what we're doing here raise enough money to change that.

If people remain interested, this is just the beginning. We want to give these cats decent lives and that includes stopping them from breeding more homeless animals.

I understand that some places in Thailand have actually started to get the stray animal population under control with sterilizations, so why not us in Chiang Mai? :o

From the latest issue of City Life:

Gang Meaw at Chiang Mai

A group, 'Gang Maew@Chiang Mai', is forming here in Chiang Mai to help street cats. They have just begun to launch our activities and are in need of feline necessities such as food, cages, flea repellent, etc. If you want to make a donation but are not able to send them yourself, they are willing to pick up your donations at your house or your office. Don't let street cats turn into another social problem.

These cats always need your care. For more information call 089 635 6902.

Maybe we should join forces.

Just yesterday a dear friend of mine and cat lover told me about this group. It seems they are also quite active. And they have posted on Pantip.com, which is a website with loads of Thai Members and visitors, for re-homing cats and asking for donations of materials etc.

Maybe a good idea to contact them as well.

Nienke

I have contacted Roshan at Lanna Dog Rescue and am waiting for her manager to come and give me more information, but from all the enquiries I have made so far, I think that I would like to have them do all the vaccinations and sterilizations.

They seem to be cheapest and easiest to do large numbers of animals and, in my opinion, the positive reasons to use them outweigh the negative.