Speaking English

jltheart

I am now in the process of helping some village kids where I live Speak English. I was shocked to see and learn that most could read very well. Most of the kids could also write english but None could speak. Why do all the privite and goverment schools fail in teaching these children how to speak english. Maybe its just to make money on the grammer part of English like Siam and others . I think we are doing a poor job of teaching if we just teach them grammer. In the real world writing is important but if they can not speak where will they really go in life. Am I wrong??

Does any one have any ideas for me to get them to talk english ?

Jltheart

It would probably help if their teachers could speak English. :o

That's a bloody good point. When I was a kid, we had no foreign teachers in schools. My English teachers usually were some old Thai ladies. I remember one of them very well as she taught us the grammar thing 12 bloody times in one semester. They taught us only whatever written in the books. Truth be told, we need to practice a lot in order to speak a new language. We need to use it in real life. Otherwise.. nothing is gonna happen. Glad to see it's starting to change now.

Elsie, it is amazing that your level of English is where it is considering you went through the Thai school system. You must have had experience abroad or working

in foreign companies. I have met few Thais with such a good command of English idioms and sayings. Or maybe you're an international school brat?

The system in Thailand is odd to say the least. I remember learning Spanish in high school and the teacher only spoke in Spanish. It was very hard at first, but it paid off in the long run. It is changing for the better in Thailand and I think it is promising. As soon as English is really progressing, I think Thailand will seriously kick some ass economically.

The previous posters really nailed the problem! Try going to the local Phathom and chatting with the Thai English teachers there. You find that most or all of them can't speak English themselves. They can teach grammar and vocabulary, but most of them cannot actually hold a conversation in English. Occasionally, you will meet a younger teacher who's English is up to an intermediate level, but they are usually the low man on the totem pole.

Then, take a look at their textbooks. You will be able to find an error on every page. The textbooks that the Thai MOE puts out or, at least, approves, have been written by teachers or professors who are products of the same substandard educational system.

Good luck with the kids. My advice is to not teach them English, rather, teach them to actually use the English that they are learning in school.

Cheers, mbkudu. Thai school/university all the way, baby. I was one of the top students in every English class I took. B+ or A guaranteed. But when I graduated from my university, I still couldn't speak English. They never encouraged us to "speak" in the class anyway. Until I met a new friend - an American. He was the first person to point out that I needed to "use" it - else I was going nowhere. And he helped me. Called me every other day. Spoke slowly at first. And kept telling me I was getting better. I never stop practicing since. When my English was quite all right and I was not afraid to use it, people at work started depending on me when it came to foreign suppliers. So, that helped too.

I've also encouraged my little sister to do the same (Well, not exactly the same, but you know what I mean :o ). At least, it's easier for her to practice as there are a few foreign teachers at her school (American/English/Australian/ .. err.. sometimes, Italian/Indonesian/Singaporean too). We're definitely going somewhere. :D

My advice is to not teach them English, rather, teach them to actually use the English that they are learning in school.

Excellent point 1957. I teach here in Thailand and what never ceases to annoy me is how a Thai school will employ a foreigner to teach/talk to their students often as little as once a week (sometimes even once a fortnight) and make no effort to coordinate what the Thai and foreign teachers are doing. They always say to you "We don't want you to teach them grammar, we want you to talk with them". Great in theory however if the kids don't know any vocabulary or grammar how can they speak!

I have mainly worked in poor schools that granted can't afford to employ many foreign teachers. I don't have a problem with this but I look at it this way, I am not their English teacher I am a facility for the Thai teachers to use. It would be much better if the Thai teachers spent a week trying to teach them a certain subject and then gave them an hour with me to try and practice this in a real life situation.

You bet, baby. I've learned a lot of new words from here. :D

BTW, I heard about this forum from Pantip.com

George even advertises this forum on popular thai websites :o I am afraid in no time there will be a lot of thai persons disguised in foreigners on this forum :D:D:D

You bet, baby. I've learned a lot of new words from here. :o

BTW, I heard about this forum from Pantip.com

In a reverse case,

my Thai wife(in the states for over 10 years) found out about Pantip through my participating in TV. She loves PANTIP(particulary since we're moving back to the LoS very soon).

:D