Thai Farmer's Truck Info.

Whilst driving to Urdon Thani a couple of weeks ago, I encountered a couple of these 'Trucks' being used by farmers ....

post-56425-1212141765_thumb.jpg

I gather this is the Thai way of recycling parts from otherwise junked vehicles, and propelling the device with a Kubota engine from something like the 'Iron Horse' used for working the rice fields, or an electricity generator or pump. However, can anyone tell me what the Thai name for these is, are there actual 'Manufacturers' of them, and if anyone knows of any websites dedicated to them?

I think they are called a 'Truck-Truck' or 'Tock-Tock' but neither of these names seems to come up with anything about them.

They're commonly called Rot Itan. I was told years ago they were designed by the UN but can't be sure. They're locally manufactured I believe.

That is the correct name. I think they are built from new parts. You can see them being assembled in many areas. They use the regular iron buffalo engines. The farmers swap the engines back and forth. The 14 horsepower engine will take the rot etan about 40 kilometers per hour. They are quite common in Issan.

• 7 months later...
Whilst driving to Urdon Thani a couple of weeks ago, I encountered a couple of these 'Trucks' being used by farmers ....

post-56425-1212141765_thumb.jpg

I gather this is the Thai way of recycling parts from otherwise junked vehicles, and propelling the device with a Kubota engine from something like the 'Iron Horse' used for working the rice fields, or an electricity generator or pump. However, can anyone tell me what the Thai name for these is, are there actual 'Manufacturers' of them, and if anyone knows of any websites dedicated to them?

I think they are called a 'Truck-Truck' or 'Tock-Tock' but neither of these names seems to come up with anything about them.

check out this outfit Nanapan; they have a website, google for it searching for nanapan Tel - 0-3532-3198 (Auto) Fax - 0-3523-5199 Email : <snip>

Edited by soundman
No Email addresses as per Forum Rules.

Fairly common where I live in Nakhon Sawan, in fact the local kids use one converted to a bus to go to school. However, I think that all these are manufactured locally.

Yes they are very common in Nakon Sawan, usually used by rice farmers!!

Convert to a school bus, good idea!! :o:D

Yes they are very common in Nakon Sawan, usually used by rice farmers!!

Convert to a school bus, good idea!! :o:D

Yeah, quite a good idea--unless you haev to ride one! Little-ist brother in law rides one to school, and one day I went with him....I think the 40 kph is a generous estimate; seemed to be about 2/3 of that speed.

There's also a guy who will deliver (well) water with the same style to your house if you don't have access to water.

Do they have a blue book, and if so how on earth do they get one

Presumably there is no book, so why are they allowed on the roads

There must be a class exemption for them not to have blue book/tax/insurance i believe they are not supposed to be allowed inside City limit signs which may be why you see the signs in the oddest places for no obvious reason :o .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

called an Etan around here. Lost count of the number that have plowed through my wall.

There a %#@* menace :D watching them getting halfway up the hill at 40 kph and rolling back at 80kph is quite entertaining though. :o

I've seem loads of new one for sale in Chiang Sean.

Just the 14 HP diesel Kubota cost more than 40,000 baht. My wife just today bought an 11 HP Kubota diesel and the two wheel tak tak tractor. That cost 68,000 baht and didn't include the rubber tires. I'm sure the rot eton would be considerably more.