Dog Nose Bleed

I have a Golden Retriever, fully grown, who get heavy nose bleeds now and again. Vet tells me to pack nose in ice. Okay this works but as soon as I take it off of nose the dog sneezes to blow out all the clots etc, only to induce more bleeding. Is there a cure or does she have to live with it. Thank you.

Nose bleeds can have several causes, but my first thought was: can it be the dog suffers from a tick disease?

One of the tick diseases causes the platelets to drop resulting in difficult in clotting of the blood. Did the vet do a full blood check already?

Nienke

PLEASE get him tested for Ehrlichia at a real vet (not the typical local one) - I suggest the CHULA University Vet Hospital.

One of my dogs had ehrlichiosis which our vet did test and detect. He underwent treatment, and seemed fine except for the nose bleeds (most usually when he was just resting). A test after treatment came back negative so our vet explorered other causes like brain/nasal tumors, etc. When he developed a tennis sized lump under his neck and our vet was recommended we take him to the University urgently for further testing. He had a heap of tests done, xrays (they were concerned about cancer) and they took a sample from the lump - The vets at the university were wonderful, but unfortunately he was already in the advanced stage of the disease and there was nothing they could do as he died a few days later. Official cause of death was he had autoimmune deficiency disease / secondary infections caused by the ehrlichiosis infection :o

Read this for more info about Ehrlichia and here.

Good luck and I hope your dogs problem isn't serious and gets well soon.

Edited by MsFigure