Sick Days

Working for an agency at a government school, just curious to know what if any sick days are paid and givin. I have a funny feeling the agency keeps the sick day money and short changes the teachers, If its not stated in the contract they dont have to pay it? What is the Law on this?

My previous school allowed 3 days sick leave , or more regardless of recovery days or holidays. It stated on the contract that we were supposed to get a doctor's note, however, the school was not enforcing that rule

Thai Labor law gives 30 days paid sick days per year for full time employees. I don't remember the exact definition of full time, but most teachers qualify. If you miss more than 2 consecutive days, you must get a doctor's certificate saying that you were indeed sick.

This info is somewhere in the following link.

Ministry of Labour Laws

Needless to say, few, if any, employers comply with this law :o . However, if you had a legitimate problem with your health, I have heard that the Labor Court will be on your side & will enforce compliance.

While it is true that Thai Labour Law gives 30 days, one must weigh that against holiday entitlement. I think in your first year of employment you get 7days. Most teachers receive good holidays; at least 4 weeks plus all national holidays.

I get five paid sick days per year, so nothing like the Thai Labour Law figure. However, as pp said, get five weeks of holiday plus public holidays, which is far more than the law stipulates employees are entitled.

Govt school foreign employees get ten days sick leave per term. If sick for more than 3 days you need to bring a slip from a doc. Cool schools, however, can give you a lot of slack. I got dengue fever and was out for 16 days - not a day was recorded against me. Depends on the school.