Smelly Cat

Hi, yesterday I bought a kitten from a local market, probably a bad idea I know but when your holding a fluffy little bundle and being egged on it is hard to say no and I have wanted a cat since being in thailand, always had them in my home country.

Anyway to cut to the chase - he stinks, it's really bad a bit like sewerage I didn't notice it at first but after cuddling him for a while you can't miss it. I have washed him and now he smells like a mixture of sewerage and shampoo.

He seems fine in every other way, they tell me he is eight weeks old and he is really playful and used to being handled. I am just a bit worried about this smell, also I need to find a vet to check him out and give innocculations. I live in Sri racha but could go to a vet in Pattaya if necessary - does anyone have one they recommend.

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions but I really hope someone can advise me.

icequeen,there is a free one for the jabs just by the firestation,off 3rd road,pattaya.also i use a vet on third road,about 400 yards before the lights at pattaya klang on the right hand side.very good vet as i have used him for 4 cats.

Give him a chance to groom himself, sounds like he could have been removed from his mother too young and hasn't yet learned how to groom himself properly.

Well, we made it to the vets today, I must have been walking around with my eyes shut because there is an animal hospital not too far from my house, but I guess I wasn't looking for one until the last few days.

They gave him a really good checkover and apart from a skin problem that they gave me some medicine for he is fine, guess that could be something to do with the smell but he does smell a little better today.

SBK, definately see what you mean about the grooming, he does groom but mainly just his paws and face - nowhere else. Also the vet thinks he is only 4 - 6 weeks old not the 8 weeks I was told, I feel as though I have been quite naive about the whole thing but hopefully he will be ok I've had cats before but never anywhere near this young.

Out of interest, how big is the kitten. If it is 8 weeks old it should be able to run. Much younger than that the attempts to run are generally clumsy, although they can climb and walk at about 4 weeks. Eight weeks is about 4" at the shoulder for either sex. As it happens, our latest batch are 9 weeks, and the females are a little bigger. That won't last :o

From my experience the kitten is very young, and IMHO should still be with mum. Top side I think 5 week. All our eldest cats female kittens have been great mums, because we only let them go around 11-12 weeks. It is learned behaviour.

Edited by Mosha

Thanks for your opinion Mosha, I agree he probably still should be with his mum, but if I hadn't took him someone else might have done who wouldn't worry about giving him proper care. I will probably need a lot more advice over the next few weeks and will update this post with his progress :o

thanks everyone for your help