One Day Overstay

Hi,

Probably had this one a million times before, but would there be a problem with me overstaying by one day, getting that dreaded stamp, and applying the next day (Penang) for a 3-month, non-imm 'O' based on marriage to a Thai?

Would this little overstay disuade the staff at Penang from giving me my visa? Also have a one-day overstay (Sadao border) from 2 years ago.

I live in Chiang Mai and had the flights booked out the day the visa runs out, but unforseen circumstances have meant I have to stay another day in los, so have already bumped the flights. The trip to Mae Sai is an arduous one at best and beens I'm leaving the next day anyway, would it be just as well to forego the border bouce and pay the 200 and slap on the wrist?

Cheers

I don't know how much they hold an overstay stamp against you, but two weeks ago when I went to Suan Plu on the last day of my visa I was missing a document from my school that they wanted. They told me I could get a two-week extension that day and come back later for another week or come back the next day, pay ฿200 for the overstay, and get a one-month extension. I opted for the first, I didn't want the overstay and I knew the boss wouldn't be around to sign the letter and that all the other staff would claim they couldn't help me.

They made it sound like no big deal at Suan Plu. But i never had an overstay, so I don't know. I think it would be best never to have one though, if you can avoid it.

Have you been to the immigration office yet? You should be able to get a short extension on your visa with just a nominal charge.

Itsa better than overstaying, one day should be ok, but you never know, its down to the officers mood on the day...

Propably no problems. One day overstay is free of charge. The Boys in brown will affix an overstay stamp in your passport though.

Do the Mae Sai trip in order to avoid overstay!

I day overstay is not free. I have been charged b4 but I believe that often the imm official can't be bothered with the paperwork and will let it go.

Propably no problems. One day overstay is free of charge. The Boys in brown will affix an overstay stamp in your passport though.

I day overstay is not free. I have been charged b4 but I believe that often the imm official can't be bothered with the paperwork and will let it go.

They have the right to charge for even a single day, but rarely do. Did you give them some attitude ?

QUOTE(loong @ 2004-10-30 00:48:56)

They have the right to charge for even a single day, but rarely do. Did you give them some attitude ?

I gave them no attitude at all. I was well dressed and polite. Said that I was sorry, but I was sick and could not come the previous day. I even had a letter from a Thai doctor. He just wasn't interested and charged me the 200 Baht for the 1 dayand entered it in my passport. I wasn't really concerned about the 200 Baht, but didn't really want an overstay stamp in my passport even for just 1 day. I know it is not supposed to matter, but one day in the future it might.

To leave via airport you may leave on same day stamped oe one day thereafter -OR SO I AM TOLD.

If you leave overland you must be out before the date in your pp expires. I've been fined on two occassions and anyone that wishes to contridict this and make a bet I will be happy to wager and produce the stamps. I was also explcity told by Immigration - I must leave before the date stamped, one day given gratis via airport. FYI this occured at PB and NK xings -note 2 diff locations.

So much bad advice here.

Just got back from the Penang run and got my 'O' visa ok. Got the 10-day extension at Chiang Mai Immigration (1,900 baht) in the end to avoid overstay; didn't fancy another jaunt to Mae Sai especially with the possibility of a mortar being lobbed over. Asked the guy at immigration what he thought if I overstayed by 10 hours and he said it shouldn't be a problem. Then I said I was applying for a visa in Penang the next day, to which his reply was to go for the extension to avoid a potential problem in the future.

Scores of armed cops around the Thai embassy in Penang due to the recent woes.

To leave via airport you may leave on same day stamped oe one day thereafter -OR SO I AM TOLD.

If you leave overland you must be out before the date in your pp expires. I've been fined on two occassions and anyone that wishes to contridict this and make a bet I will be happy to wager and produce the stamps. I was also explcity told by Immigration - I must leave before the date stamped, one day given gratis via airport. FYI this occured at PB and NK xings -note 2 diff locations.

So much bad advice here.

The so called bad advice stems from the fact that the rules change from office to office, and officer to officer. Do your own research or go elsewhere.

Just got back from the Penang run and got my 'O' visa ok. Got the 10-day extension at Chiang Mai Immigration (1,900 baht) in the end to avoid overstay; didn't fancy another jaunt to Mae Sai especially with the possibility of a mortar being lobbed over.  Asked the guy at immigration what he thought if I overstayed by 10 hours and he said it shouldn't be a problem. Then I said I was applying for a visa in Penang the next day, to which his reply was to go for the extension to avoid a potential problem in the future.

Good for you Jack. Best wishes. :o

Just got back from the Penang run and got my 'O' visa ok. Got the 10-day extension at Chiang Mai Immigration (1,900 baht) in the end to avoid overstay; didn't fancy another jaunt to Mae Sai especially with the possibility of a mortar being lobbed over.  Asked the guy at immigration what he thought if I overstayed by 10 hours and he said it shouldn't be a problem. Then I said I was applying for a visa in Penang the next day, to which his reply was to go for the extension to avoid a potential problem in the future.

Good for you Jack. Best wishes. :o

Cheers Doc and thanks for past advice.

Must admit, does feel good now I'm a bit more legit' here as opposed to walking around those borders. Will go for the 12-month extension of stay next.

Good for you Jack. Best wishes. :D

Cheers Doc and thanks for past advice.

Must admit, does feel good now I'm a bit more legit' here as opposed to walking around those borders. Will go for the 12-month extension of stay next.

Jeez ... you'll be getting a driver's license next. :o The mantle of respectability, and a paragon of virtue :D