Would 2 Passports Be Of Any Benefit?

I am a British citizen,35 years old and hold a British Passport

I am currently in the UK applying for a 12 month Non-O visa on my British passport.

I am interested to know if applying for an Irish passport (father holds an Irish passport) would be of any benefit?

My UK passport is half full and filling up fast. When it is almost full, would i be able to leave Thailand on a visa run, and return in on the Irish Pasport?

Also is it true, that it's easier and cheaper to bring your Thai girlfriend/spouse to the UK for a holiday if you hold an EU passport?

Is there any other advantages of holding 2 passports?

Many thanks in advance

Boycie.

I am currently in the UK applying for a 12 month Non-O visa on my British passport.

I am interested to know if applying for an Irish passport (father holds an Irish passport) would be of any benefit?

My UK passport is half full and filling up fast. When it is almost full, would i be able to leave Thailand on a visa run, and return in on the Irish Pasport?

Also is it true, that it's easier and cheaper to bring your Thai girlfriend/spouse to the UK for a holiday if you hold an EU passport?

Many thanks in advance

Boycie.

Boycie....there are always advantages to holding two passports certainly from two different countries...so if you can get an Irish passport get it....

You might just be able to get away with using two passports from different countries in Thailand, but think if using say two British passports in Thailand, pretty sure (stand to be corrected) they would be linked somehow in the immigration database, bear in mind these days coming in through the airport they are taking your photo, so could be pretty easy to link faces to passports if they really wanted to...

On the question regarding it being easier/cheaper to get into the UK with an EU passport, technically we are all on EU pasports these days irrespective on where we come from in Europe...so not sure if there is any advantage

Many thanks in advance

Boycie.

Boycie....there are always advantages to holding two passports certainly from two different countries...so if you can get an Irish passport get it....

You might just be able to get away with using two passports from different countries in Thailand, but think if using say two British passports in Thailand, pretty sure (stand to be corrected) they would be linked somehow in the immigration database, bear in mind these days coming in through the airport they are taking your photo, so could be pretty easy to link faces to passports if they really wanted to...

On the question regarding it being easier/cheaper to get into the UK with an EU passport, technically we are all on EU pasports these days irrespective on where we come from in Europe...so not sure if there is any advantage

Same name, same date of birth! I wouldn't try but that's just me.

Visas or Visa Exempt stamps are issued to the Passport holder, NOT to the Passport.

Yes I guess you could get away with it for a while until someone notices that your entry and exit stamps just don't match up because you accidently tried to exit on a passport without an entry stamp or the database flags you for having the same Name and Date of Birth which when easily checked would show the same photo stored in the Thai Immigration system.

My questions would be;

1. Is it legal (probably not).

2. What kind of shit would you be landing yourself in if you got caught.

Yes it is legal to have and use two passports. But a visa is not permission to enter - only to report to the door-keeper. Immigration could well refuse entry if they decided to take that course of action. At this point do not believe it is an issue. Who knows in the future.

Yes it is legal to have and use two passports. But a visa is not permission to enter - only to report to the door-keeper. Immigration could well refuse entry if they decided to take that course of action. At this point do not believe it is an issue. Who knows in the future.

Excellent definition of a visa....

As lopburi3 says its not illegal to have and use two passports, but could well p*ss off the immigration...

I used 2 separate Brit passports in and out of the US for over 15 years, never linked.

Did the same in Thailand in the 80's and also the past 3 years, never linked.

Used either or them to variously enter/leave the motherland, never linked.

If you enter/leave on the same passport, you won't have a problem.

If you decide to exit on the passport that you did not enter on.... now why on earth would you want to do that?

Not true, something to do with the Schengan (sp?) agreement, to which the UK has not signed up.

A very well known poster became an Irish citizen purely to enable him to get a visa for his wife to return to the UK. Although we are part of Europe, we're not part of the clique, as we refuse to accept their silly money, and constantly veto their silly laws.

I hold 2 UK passports and have never had any problems switching between them.

The only thing is to make sure you fly out, then swap when you fly back.

You will not be able to swap on a land border as the country you are entering will

look for exit stamps from the other.

Don't show immigration both passport at the same time. Then there should be no link between them.

If you have a common name like John Smith, then name and DOB are not a firm identification.

The passport No will be the decider. Even better if the passports are in different nationalities. :o

Thank you all for the replies.

I'm sorry i should of worded my post better.

All i was thinking, was that when my British passport is full, i could re enter Thailand after a visa run, on an Irish Passport. Then carry on using it for future visa runs.

As EmptyMind posted, the Visa stamp is issued to the passport holder not the passport.

So would it be possible when my British passport is full, i could show immigration my Multiple Non-O Visa that's stamped in it and get a 3 month visa stamp to enter Thailand in my Irish passport?

Also thank you sweetchariot for confirming what i heard about it being easier to get a UK visa for a girlfriend/spouse with a European passport. I inquired at the UK Embassy to bring my thai girlfriend of 3 months home with me this time, for a short holiday, and got laughed at.

I thought that British and European passports were all the same, but i now know that's not the case.

So I'm with you kerrs69. Putting the application in the post tomorrow for my Irish passport.

I have 2 UK passports and have no problem using them on different ocassions when entering thailand. Some 'experts' on this board will tell you what 'they' think you can and cannot do but I can guarantee that I've had no problems at all using 2 passports.

Thank you all for the replies.

I'm sorry i should of worded my post better.

All i was thinking, was that when my British passport is full, i could re enter Thailand after a visa run, on an Irish Passport. Then carry on using it for future visa runs.

As EmptyMind posted, the Visa stamp is issued to the passport holder not the passport.

So would it be possible when my British passport is full, i could show immigration my Multiple Non-O Visa that's stamped in it and get a 3 month visa stamp to enter Thailand in my Irish passport?

Also thank you sweetchariot for confirming what i heard about it being easier to get a UK visa for a girlfriend/spouse with a European passport. I inquired at the UK Embassy to bring my thai girlfriend of 3 months home with me this time, for a short holiday, and got laughed at.

I thought that British and European passports were all the same, but i now know that's not the case.

So I'm with you kerrs69. Putting the application in the post tomorrow for my Irish passport.

Just use the Uk passport as you’ll just need 5 or 6 pages in total with all the times you will be crossing the border every 90 days.

You would not gain any advantage as the one year visa obtained from Ireland would be at the same time as the UK visa.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com