Tefl In The Uk Or Thailand?

jfk

hi guys,

back home in the uk at the mo, and hatting every moment.

want to return to los in about 3 months. i want to teach english when i get there as i dont want to come back to the uk again if i can help it. i dont have a degree.

looking on-line i see many courses in thailand and also tefl courses here in the uk.

cost in thailand is about 600 gbp but in the uk its ony 215 gbp.

is the course here the same as the one in thailand? it certainly appears that way.

it is with uk-tefl.com and there are classes throughout the uk.

thanks for your feedback.

regards.

hi guys,

want to return to los in about 3 months. i want to teach english when i get there as i dont want to come back to the uk again if i can help it. i dont have a degree.

looking on-line i see many courses in thailand and also tefl courses here in the uk.

is the course here the same as the one in thailand? it certainly appears that way.

regards.

If you plan to only teach in Thailand, and nowhere else, the TEFL in Thailand will be more useful to you, because it will give you some exposure to Thai culture, difficulties encountered by Thai students learning English, and evaluated teaching practice in a simulated Thai classroom. If there is a possibility that you may teach anywhere else, get a CELTA or PBGC in the U.K. Thai employers will not distinguish between a Thai or U.K. degree, but any other employers will.

hi guys,

regards.

If you plan to only teach in Thailand, and nowhere else, the TEFL in Thailand will be more useful to you, because it will give you some exposure to Thai culture, difficulties encountered by Thai students learning English, and evaluated teaching practice in a simulated Thai classroom. If there is a possibility that you may teach anywhere else, get a CELTA or PBGC in the U.K. Thai employers will not distinguish between a Thai or U.K. degree, but any other employers will.

What exactly is your educational background?

Jfk, life in Thailand without a degree will be difficult. TEFL is not a requirement for the teachers licence or the work permit, but it might show you how to teach a bit of ESL. Maybe it would be better to do this in Thailand if they can promise you work afterwards.

I wouldn't advise anybody to come to Thailand to teach without a degree anymore. The current requirements are a degree in Education or a post-graduate diploma in Education or a degree and Thai exams, and the Thai culture test for the teacher's license. Even teachers with degrees are having problems getting legal.

There have been plenty of recent threads about this subject.

I am sorry if this is not what you want to hear. If you are serious about teaching in Thailand I would advise that you get a degree. I would advise an education degree and if you want to make a real life of it here then do a PGCE. You could do this full-time in 4/5 years.

Edited by garro

hi guys,

regards.

What exactly is your educational background?

just the usual gce,s (6) btec national diploma business and finance and numerous sales and management courses with o2 uk. i have lived in thailand for close to 5 years now and live in uttaradit. i dont want to have to come back to the uk anymore and as long as i can get a wage about 25-30,000 baht i would be more than happy. i think i have a lot to give and just want to settle there with my wife.

regards

To be quite honest, a TEFL is not worth the paper it's written on.
And, remaining honest, that is your personal opinion, and not one universally shared. When a TEFL certificate is awarded after four weeks of intensive training and supervised practice teaching, it is worth several hundred pounds.

This is why the following rule is part of the rules for the teaching forum:

7. You may discuss and ask questions about TEFL courses and course providers, but TEFL course comparison threads are considered flamebait and will be closely watched and probably closed.

This topic has been sufficiently debated. Thank you. Topic closed.