Transfer Of Work Permit

Hello :o

I've heard various stories, and can't find any concrete evidence on the following. If possible, please assist with your knowledge.

Background: I am a 29 yr old, Australian man, living in Bangkok. I have been working in an International School for the past 3 years. I am changing to a new school.

The current employer has said he will assist in transferring/changing the work permit directly to the new school (if possible), without me having to leave and get a non-immigrant B visa/or tourist visa (to re-apply and get another work permit when I come back).

Question: Is there any way to move from one place of employment to another, without having to leave the country to get a tourist visa or Non-immigrant B? Is there any way I can continue to go to the new school by just doing paperwork changes and not leaving the country? If so, what would I need, and how should I proceed in doing it?

I re-phrased the question again for clarity.

Thank you in advance.

I was in the same situation. When quiting your job you have 7 days to leave the country or apply for a new job and arrange for the new WP and get a new visa. You don't have to go outside the country for this. But you have to change the WP to the new employer and get a new Non-B from any immigration office.

Before you cancel your old school's WP, go to Labor with your new employer's labor rep and with all your usual docs, plus your new contract, and get Labor working on adding your new school employer to your WP. Once that is in process, you should not have to make a visa run when you cancel out the WP for your prior school employer. I believe many Labor offices now take 2-3 days to process your paperwork.

Before you cancel your old school's WP, go to Labor with your new employer's labor rep and with all your usual docs, plus your new contract, and get Labor working on adding your new school employer to your WP. Once that is in process, you should not have to make a visa run when you cancel out the WP for your prior school employer. I believe many Labor offices now take 2-3 days to process your paperwork.

I read somewhere else here that now you don't have an automatic 7 days time to leave the country or get a new job anymore. You have to ask and pay for it now. So arange for your contract to end when your contract with the new employer starts.

As for no need for a new visa, that isn't how it worked for me in June 2006. With a paper from the labour office I had to go to immigration, who canceled my visa and wrote a whole story to that effect in my passport. Next they gave me a new visa, after paying the fee for the new visa, based on my WP with my new employer.

This is the OP

Thanks guys, that helps alot. The matter is a little more complicated too, if I may explain and ask:

Ok. Because it's international school holidays and the teaching term finishes on June 13th, I have 2 months paid holiday, and my work permit actually expires on August 21st (but I am not required to go back). I recieve full salary until then, as it is the end of my contract.

IF I sign a new contract and change the work permit over to the new school on August 1st, is that grounds for my current school to say "hey, you're employed by someone else now, so we don't need to pay you salary from August 1 to August 21st.."

OR do they need to complete the payments as arranged?

Cheers guys, and thanks again in advance if you can help with this.