Another Truevisions Rip Off?

happylarry

Has anyone had any experience with the new personal video recorder "PVR" that Truevisions are now offering for sale.

I made some enquiries about them today and was told that once you bought it for 15,995 baht you got to use it for the first year free of further charge but then they start charging 300 baht a month for the privelage of using it.

I find this hard to believe, has anyone already bought one of these, and is that rent really part of the deal.

HL :o

I've been using UBC/Truevisions for nearly 9 years and have had my ups & downs with the company. I, too, was interested in their PVR box and went through the agony of calling them to get some info. IMO, it's a rip-off. Why should we pay 300 bhat extra per month for the privilege of using the dam_n thing? Also if you have noticed, their programming has really done downhill and anything new and worthwile is packaged into a more expensive scam. I guess that's what you can do when you have a monopoly. :o

I think if they had any competition their customers would be leaving in droves. We are paid up to the 17th of the month but if we don't pay our bill by the 10th of the month they cut off service and then charge to to reconnect even though in reality your time had not run out. Love to tell them to take their service and put it where the sun don't shine. But right now they are the only game in town.

Sky have had a similar machine in the UK for a few years now, but once you have bought it that is it, no more to pay.

Well I guess they will learn after they realise how few they are selling. (hmmmm or will they, probably put the price up)

I think if they had any competition their customers would be leaving in droves. We are paid up to the 17th of the month but if we don't pay our bill by the 10th of the month they cut off service and then charge to to reconnect even though in reality your time had not run out. Love to tell them to take their service and put it where the sun don't shine. But right now they are the only game in town.

Yup, well said. I've got a few choice words for those buzzards ...maybe ...one day...

I enjoy a good Turd Visions moan as much as the next man. Their service is indeed terrible. The product however, in the main, for me, isn't that bad.

As far as the monthly charge for the equipment is concerned, i already pay something like 155 baht a month. I think it's like a rental charge for the equipment. With PVR you have to buy the equipment, so it can't be a rental fee. Perhaps it's to cover for any call outs if it breaks down.

Anyway, rip off or not, it would only be another 150 baht or so on top of what i already pay, so wouldn't affect my decision on whether to install PVR or not. At the moment i'm waiting to see if they come out with any promotions - and also waiting for them to iron out teething problems with the system, of which i have no doubt there are many.

Anyone care to share some feedback on using PVR? How's it going?

I seem to remember that if you purchase a wireless router from True Hi-speed they would try to charge you a monthly fee for using it (in addition to the purchase cost of the router), buy the exact same router from the shop next door and pay no additional monthly fee....

Seems like they love to target the more money than brains group.

The only legitimate reason i can think of for charging 300 for PVR is licensing to allow you to record programs...but i'm pretty dam_n sure Truevision does not own this licensing to be selling it (not that it would stop them)

in the United States we had a similar setup. the 2nd PVR had to be bought and we paid something like $ 11.95 monthly for each PVR. but that was technology, TRUE offers sh*t! :o

Hi :o

Can't you just buy a regular HDD recorder (available in Thailand???) and hook that up to the TRUE Vision box? Is that legal or not? How about a VHS machine (err..... i've seen some second hand, but never new) or a computer with a TV-capture card?

I don't know if TRUE's PVR is a recorder/decoder in one, or if you use it together with the normal box? I stopped being interested after knowing what sort of money they want for that thing. I rather use a computer to record my stuff :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

Now the Football season is over I dont recall anything else worth watching.

They repeat that much rubbish anyway, over the month you would see the same thing

4 or 5 times anyway. Just stay one night and save all that money. :o

And when are they going to provide a decent quality signal which looks good on widescreen tv's? The shops are full of large size Hi Definition LCD's and Plasma's of 42" and above, but you wouldn't want to watch TrueVisions on anything larger than 32" considering their low grade signal.

Monopoly=Zero Investment.

Not that I am going to be getting one because I dont agree with the rental for it....but an ordinary dvd recorder doesnt match up to it as the PVR can pause or replay live tv, can be set up to record a whole series of programs etc. etc. Also it acts a bit like teletext where you can get all the footy scores etc.

My son in UK says once you have one of these boxes then you wouldnt want to be without it, but as I say they dont have to pay a rent over there.

Charging a Tivo or DVR service fee per month is standard practice in the U.S. with the two major satellite providers. Sorry, this fee was not invented in Thailand. In the U.S. they charge 5 or more dollars a month per tv set that has a DVR in order to provide the service of recording and having the DVR directly connected to the TV schedule which makes recording a snap. If you buy your own, then you have to make sure the channel is set to the write station when you leave your house and if you want to record programs on more than one channel while you're gone it's not possible as nobody will be there to change the channel.

I've been using UBC/Truevisions for nearly 9 years and have had my ups & downs with the company. I, too, was interested in their PVR box and went through the agony of calling them to get some info. IMO, it's a rip-off. Why should we pay 300 bhat extra per month for the privilege of using the dam_n thing? Also if you have noticed, their programming has really done downhill and anything new and worthwile is packaged into a more expensive scam. I guess that's what you can do when you have a monopoly. :o

How 'bout you just make sure and pay your bill? Give me a break. Cable/satellite providers all over the world would charge you to reconnect if you were overdue Perhaps not every one, but I'm sure many would.

And when are they going to provide a decent quality signal which looks good on widescreen tv's? The shops are full of large size Hi Definition LCD's and Plasma's of 42" and above, but you wouldn't want to watch TrueVisions on anything larger than 32" considering their low grade signal.

Monopoly=Zero Investment.

I am no fan of True Visions. I moved, so now instead of having a personal satellite system I've got something called digital cable. I don't know how it works so well but it does. There are three LCD televisions in my home, two are 47", and the picture is perfect most of the time. It may be some accident of technology that True Visions has come to broadcast a perfect signal. What is no accident is the poor programming content.

I personally use MBK for most of my television content needs. The programming is cheap with great video and sound quality. True Visions was touting 10 new channels a couple of months ago in the business sections of the English language newspapers. Where are they? It appears that True Visions parent company, CP Group has many irons in the fire and their television content monopoly has taken a back seat to chicken, shrimp, 7-11, and construction. Most of their money is flowing out of the country and who can blame them.

Edited by grantbkk

Charging a Tivo or DVR service fee per month is standard practice in the U.S. with the two major satellite providers. Sorry, this fee was not invented in Thailand. In the U.S. they charge 5 or more dollars a month per tv set that has a DVR in order to provide the service of recording and having the DVR directly connected to the TV schedule which makes recording a snap. If you buy your own, then you have to make sure the channel is set to the write station when you leave your house and if you want to record programs on more than one channel while you're gone it's not possible as nobody will be there to change the channel.

JimJim, it sounds as if you have a TrueVisions PVR. I do, and starting two days ago I noticed that their 8 day advance TV guide has disappeared. Now I get a TV guide which only shows the program currently on TV and the next one. Basically, this kills the purpose of even having the PVR.

Note, I tried calling UBC's after sales service number, but nobody picks up.

Have you noticed the TV guide disappearing on your PVR?

I personally use MBK for most of my television content needs. The programming is cheap with great video and sound quality. True Visions was touting 10 new channels a couple of months ago in the business sections of the English language newspapers. Where are they? It appears that True Visions parent company, CP Group has many irons in the fire and their television content monopoly has taken a back seat to chicken, shrimp, 7-11, and construction. Most of their money is flowing out of the country and who can blame them.

I had no idea that True was a subsidiary of CP Group. I just read a big Wall Street Journal article about True and other companies including CP and they never mentioned it in the article. However, you probably know that the finances are separate (as in, True surely has a set budget every year that it follows) from the group as is the nature of groups. Also, True has actually been spending massively to get so big so fast in all it's divisions including the mobile phone part of the business, TV part, etc. Also, Academy Fantasia has been generating massive profits for True Corp. They also spent a lot of money in getting the rights to broadcast the Premiership on their own channels (I think they should have just left it alone and left it to ESPN/Star Sports as they still provide those channels anyway). I'm not saying they are great or their service is perfect, but I strongly disagree with your assessment as True is a subsidiary, yes, but it's very actively attempting to become quite big in Thailand with the TV, mobile services, internet and broadband, etc. They've been spending and making a lot the last two or so years.

JimJim, it sounds as if you have a TrueVisions PVR. I do, and starting two days ago I noticed that their 8 day advance TV guide has disappeared. Now I get a TV guide which only shows the program currently on TV and the next one. Basically, this kills the purpose of even having the PVR.

Sorry, I don't have a TrueVisions PVR. I just know about them (Tivos, DVRs, PVRs, however you want to refer to them, though Tivo is a brand name) from the U.S.

Your're right about it killing the purpose, Old Man River, and I hope you resolve the problem soon. Previously, their set-top box only showed the current program and next program, which I thought was stupid, so I wonder if somehow you have your wires crossed and you're looking at the set-top boxes program guide instead of the PVR, although I don't know how that would be. It may they are doing some retooling and then sent the old system instead of the PVR system for a while, or made a mistake and sent the old program guide. I suspect you may have some problems as the PVR system is probably not going to be glitch free for a while.

Can't you just buy a regular HDD recorder (available in Thailand???) and hook that up to the TRUE Vision box? Is that legal or not? How about a VHS machine (err..... i've seen some second hand, but never new) or a computer with a TV-capture card?

I'm not sure you could do the 8 day advanced channel programming Truevisons offers with a regular HDD recorder. I could be srong, though...

I enjoy a good Turd Visions moan as much as the next man. Their service is indeed terrible. The product however, in the main, for me, isn't that bad.

As far as the monthly charge for the equipment is concerned, i already pay something like 155 baht a month. I think it's like a rental charge for the equipment. With PVR you have to buy the equipment, so it can't be a rental fee. Perhaps it's to cover for any call outs if it breaks down.

Anyway, rip off or not, it would only be another 150 baht or so on top of what i already pay, so wouldn't affect my decision on whether to install PVR or not. At the moment i'm waiting to see if they come out with any promotions - and also waiting for them to iron out teething problems with the system, of which i have no doubt there are many.

Anyone care to share some feedback on using PVR? How's it going?

Nope its 299 on top of your existing rental fees I understand.

I seem to remember that if you purchase a wireless router from True Hi-speed they would try to charge you a monthly fee for using it (in addition to the purchase cost of the router), buy the exact same router from the shop next door and pay no additional monthly fee....

Seems like they love to target the more money than brains group.

The only legitimate reason i can think of for charging 300 for PVR is licensing to allow you to record programs...but i'm pretty dam_n sure Truevision does not own this licensing to be selling it (not that it would stop them)

The charge is to be able to access the 1 week EPG..

The standard EPG is for a much shorter duration and makes using aftermarket PVR's and HD recorders a pain as you cant search future listings.

I don't know if TRUE's PVR is a recorder/decoder in one, or if you use it together with the normal box? I stopped being interested after knowing what sort of money they want for that thing. I rather use a computer to record my stuff :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

Trues allows you to watch one channel while recording another (so they tell me) and you have access to easy scheduling and the EPG for 1 week in advance.. Thats not so simple to set up multi recordings with a non true box.

I use dreamboxes.. Can record to hard disk, access thier full menu and as I have many dreamboxes in the home can still record one channel (over the home network to the media server) while watching another.. I can also watch a recording made from any dreambox in the house on any other dreambox in the house.. all for much less than the True PVR and with no monthly fees.

Not that I am going to be getting one because I dont agree with the rental for it....but an ordinary dvd recorder doesnt match up to it as the PVR can pause or replay live tv, can be set up to record a whole series of programs etc. etc. Also it acts a bit like teletext where you can get all the footy scores etc.

My son in UK says once you have one of these boxes then you wouldnt want to be without it, but as I say they dont have to pay a rent over there.

Can do most of that (pause live TV etc) with a media center..

Dont care about footie score.

I'm not sure you could do the 8 day advanced channel programming Truevisons offers with a regular HDD recorder. I could be srong, though...

You can with a dreambox and some 'tweaking' :D

How 'bout you just make sure and pay your bill? Give me a break. Cable/satellite providers all over the world would charge you to reconnect if you were overdue Perhaps not every one, but I'm sure many would.

Give me a break!! What are you talking about? Are you responding to the wrong post? I've never been overdue - in fact I pay a year in advance to get the extrta free month!!