Antibiotics. Availability And Price?

danny1977

Just a quick question regarding antibiotics.

After my last trip a cut I had on my foot went septic and had to be treated with antibiotics back in the UK. Next trip is for considerably longer and I need to know if I can get hold of some if I require them again whilst I am out there.

I understand that they are available to buy over the counter at most pharmacies. Is this correct and I was just wondering how much they cost roughly.

Any help/info appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Danny

The generic (local made) antibiotics in most cases are just as effective as the much more expensive brandnames....

Biggest problem is resistant strains of microbes... they dose out antibiotics like there's no tomorrow over here, and most people don't finish off the stuff they're given(hey, this is expensive stuff and I feel better already, let's save the leftovers for later!) and thus creating resistant strains of bugs....

Always finish the complete dose of antibiotics you get, even if you feel healed after taking only half off the stuff...

The generic (local made) antibiotics in most cases are just as effective as the much more expensive brandnames....

Biggest problem is resistant strains of microbes... they dose out antibiotics like there's no tomorrow over here, and most people don't finish off the stuff they're given(hey, this is expensive stuff and I feel better already, let's save the leftovers for later!) and thus creating resistant strains of bugs....

Always finish the complete dose of antibiotics you get, even if you feel healed after taking only half off the stuff...

But if in doubt, slip into a Boots in many Bangkok locations.

Prices for anti-biotic, anti-fungal creams range from around 40-200 baht for a tube about 10 grams. Quadriderm is one of the best, in my experience. About 180 baht in most places. Ask the chemist for recommendations.

Just a quick question regarding antibiotics.

After my last trip a cut I had on my foot went septic and had to be treated with antibiotics back in the UK. Next trip is for considerably longer and I need to know if I can get hold of some if I require them again whilst I am out there.

I understand that they are available to buy over the counter at most pharmacies. Is this correct and I was just wondering how much they cost roughly.

Any help/info appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Danny

Any Thai pharmacy will sell you topical or oral antibiotics. No prescription is required, but if you intend to buy them without your doctor's advice you'll need to know exactly what you are doing and most probably you don't. The typical Thai pharmacist is unlikely to offer the good advice you'd receive back home. Moreover, they may offer some exceptionally bad and possibly dangerous advice. For reference, I have paid about 4 or 5 baht per tablet for one of the common penicillin-based drugs.

Take care,

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

So, can you also buy Antivirals, such as Tamiflu?

Apparently this is the only drug capable of offering some protection for Bird Flu if taken within 2 days of symptoms

Otherwise if unlucky the mortality rate is about 75% (3 out of 4 die)

Anyone know if you can buy Tamiflu??