Immunity From Mosquitoes

sweetchariot

I hear about, and know many expats (and tourists) who are bothered by mozzies.

I personally have never had a mozzie bite in my life, and assumed they didn't like me due to my diet/ smoking.

However my brother came to visit from the UK a few months back, and had a different theory. We sat outside the house for a few beers on his first night, and he did get very well munched.

He is in the UK Armed Forces, and has been to pretty much every sh1thole you can imagine. His theory (from vast experience, apparently were they have to throw 'bug bombs' in the toilet before they enter) is that;

Mozzie bite reactions are only down to your physiology. People (99%) have a reaction to the anaesthetic that they inject before sucking your blood. A few lucky ones don't have this reaction, and although bitten just as much don't know about it.

I heard lots of stuff about quinnine years ago, always a good excuse for a G&T, but I have read that this has been disproved.

I only ever drink beer, quite alot but only 2 or 3 times a week. I don't drink spirits, and never drink at home. I smoke, on average, about a pack and a half a day of Marlboro Lights.

I Know a guy who drinks the same as me (although quite alot more), and still has problems with mozzie bites. He eats a similar diet to me, and is not overweight (same-ish to me).

So, any experts out there have an answer? I must admit I would be seriously less inclined to stay here if I was worried about the mozzies all the time.

Sorry for the long post, but this has been on my mind for quite sometime.

Cheers,

SC

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about the reaction part.

I smoke, drink whiskey, don't eat particularly healthy, shower regularly, wear clean clothes, and attract mozzies like they're having an End of the World feast ! :D

I joke with the g/f that they like farang blood because it isn't as spicy as Thai blood.

There are various lotions and sprays (especially those with Deet in them) that seem to work. I never found the "natural" citronella types to be very effective though.

In Thailand, I've found the best thing is to wear socks, shoes and long pants. Used to always wear shorts and sandals, and my feet, ankles and lower legs would be a feeding ground for the little buggers.

I did see something on the tube a short while ago that mentioned drinking Tonic Water as a way of helping keep the skeeters away. Something in the "tonic" does it I guess (and it's not the gin). Can't be the bi-carbonation, otherwise any bi-carbonated drink would do the trick.

Then there are the mosquito coils and insect sprays, but they aren't that effective outdoors (and are a pain in the butt to carry around, not to mention that the staff at various restaurants/bars get a little upset when you start hosing the place down with cans of Raid or other bug spray) :o

When I moved here, I brought a drawerful of short pants.... thinking... tropical weather of course.... But it wasn't until after I made the transition from tourist visits to full-time resident, that I realized how much of a dinner feast I was for the little buggers. So now, I have a drawerful of short pants that I almost never wear in BKK.

Don't want to be dousing myself with DEET for the rest of my days... So use the citronella-based sprays for nights outside, and they work OK...not perfect, but at least help...

Inside, every time I'd open the door to my apartment, I'd get the buggers flying inside...and maybe up from the shower drains as well, since I have good wire mesh screens on all the windows... Tried the blue-light device, helped a little but not much.. Then went to the electronic zapper tennis rackets... but it's a pain to be hunting down the buggers all the time...

Then finally, at home, tried the small ultrasonic plug in devices (I bought at Big C, they have batter and plug in models), which are supposed to emit some sound/frequency that keeps them away... And...it's been AMAZING... Ever since I installed one in my hallway and living room, the skeeters inside my apartment have dropped to almost none... tho I still go hunting periodically just to be safe...

PS... about wearing socks... If I go outside and sit around at night...without any citronella spray, I'll get mosquito bites around my ankles and lower leg BELOW my sock line, meaning they're somehow biting me thru the socks....

PPS ... I'm no scientist...but I'd pretty safely say... smoking and drinking beer to excess is not a prescription for mosquito-proofing yourself...

Had a medic tell me that eating a teaspoonful of yeast will create a sour effect on your skin and blood. Never tried it but since I'm going to be in the Philippines for the next year and my house has a fish breeding pond behind it and the Philippine sea 100 yards away, I'll give it a shot. If it works, I'll pass it on.

Up here in the NW, they will bite through clothes, specially socks, when im on the farm. I found this detterant just over a year ago and have been using it ever since,

It was on a TV site, cant remeber which one? but an aussie said that when he was in the outback ect, he would mix Dettol and a skin cream 50/50 and the mossies dont touch him, i tried this, mixing in a diffuser bottle, spraying it on exposed skin, put socks on then spray, rub some on neck and ears, and its great, [dont spray on face, just rub it on avoiding eyes] .. it works 100% for me even though i might smell like a pox doctors clerk!

Preventing malaria is much better than the cure, Cheers, Lickey..

Im one of those people that got a lot of bites.

Did a research on WHO sites.

There is nothing that is 100% against the mosquitoes.

The most effective ones only last for a few hours anyway, nomatter what the advertising promise.

Deet came closest, but even that did not prove perfect.

Studies showed that if only one little spot of the skin was not covered, the mosquitoes sat down only 1/3 of an inch away from the treated areas.

The mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon (diox or monox, I dont remember which one) we exhale through the mouth and skin.

people exhale different amount of the carbon, which is why some are more affected then other.

I personally have never had a mozzie bite in my life, and assumed they didn't like me due to my diet/ smoking.

However my brother came to visit from the UK a few months back, and had a different theory. We sat outside the house for a few beers on his first night, and he did get very well munched.

He is in the UK Armed Forces, and has been to pretty much every sh1thole you can imagine. His theory (from vast experience, apparently were they have to throw 'bug bombs' in the toilet before they enter) is that;

Mozzie bite reactions are only down to your physiology. People (99%) have a reaction to the anaesthetic that they inject before sucking your blood. A few lucky ones don't have this reaction, and although bitten just as much don't know about it.

I heard lots of stuff about quinnine years ago, always a good excuse for a G&T, but I have read that this has been disproved.

I only ever drink beer, quite alot but only 2 or 3 times a week. I don't drink spirits, and never drink at home. I smoke, on average, about a pack and a half a day of Marlboro Lights.

I Know a guy who drinks the same as me (although quite alot more), and still has problems with mozzie bites. He eats a similar diet to me, and is not overweight (same-ish to me).

So, any experts out there have an answer? I must admit I would be seriously less inclined to stay here if I was worried about the mozzies all the time.

Cheers,

SC

I don't know about mosquitos but reaction to the injected chemical to stop clotting is certainly true of flea bites. I had a flat mate who swore blind that the fleas from the cat never bit him where as I came out in big lumps. He was lucky enough not to react to the bites.

Rarely get bitten, even when others around me (both locals and foreigners) are getting bitten. Have seen the same effects with a few other folks as well. Probably a difference in diet + body chemistry... but no idea what it is specifically. And no, it's not because we're drunk and can't feel the bites.

:o

I get eaten alive too. I get a mozzie killer spray. It comes in a blue can, not sure of the name, but any bug spray will due. I spray the parameter of my house. Spray the bushes, trees, and any shade areas. The mozzies hide in bushes and shade areas during the day. I also spray bushes and things in my neighbors yard close to my fence/wall as well. I do this for five consecutive days. This will kill off most of the little biters. They don't fly too far from were they nest. After that, spray every two or three days. When I do this I no problems with them. good luck. :o

I am one of the lucky ones who, if bitten, doesn't get any reaction. I may have a red mark but no itching. Thank goodness.

The thai staff swear by this green balm which is also very cooling. All the clients who use it agree. It also helps any bites they do get.

My son (who is in the army) was told by a special forces soldier that they use an Avon product. Its a clear oil moisturising lotion that is perfume free. My daughter and her friends have all used it and swear by it.

I will try to find out what it is called and post.

When I was a young lad, I ran away from home and slept in a big, Salvation Army collection box that was full of mossie nests and was bitten over and over all night long. I don't know if they avoid me now or if I am immune to their bite, but I never feel one biting me and I never get the red bumps that I used to get before I slept in that box.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I still get bitten all over,even my fingers.Must admit i should cover myself in mozzie cream more often.My diet is 95% thai and the buggers still get me.The coil sprays are good but they give me headache if i have them too close and the sprays are effective when i spray the house before i go out.I never wear trousers or long sleeved shirts and do not intend too,so i better get used to them.

As a test i tried some vinegar once and it did seem to work fairly well,but i smelt like a chip.From my point of view my bites are in non hair areas and white areas so at least i know where i am going to get bitten.Some of my friends do not get bitten so there is no magic formula.

Has anyone heard about an injection that can stop the blighters????,possibly vitamin b.

I don't know 100% but sure as eggs are oval someone will know the full script. The reaction comes from the anti-coagulant the female mozzie injects into you to prevent the blood clotting on it's passage through her tubes. It may be true that some don't have so much reaction as others but I believe we all have some reaction.

btw mozzies don't feed on blood, they feed on pollen. Only the female sucks blood for the production of her eggs. Or something like that.

Up here in the NW, they will bite through clothes, specially socks, when im on the farm. I found this detterant just over a year ago and have been using it ever since,

Koh Samet after sunset the little bu66ers were biting me through my jeans. More like airborne drilling platforms than mozzies.

Koh Samui, storm one night in '93 blew my chalet door open. Me lying p1ssed, stark bolleaux naked on top of the bed. I bet the mozzies down there are still talking about it. Since then I have had less reaction to the bites but every now and again one Supermozz strikes.

I've always wondered (hoped) about the frequency/immunity issue...

When I lived in the U.S., anytime I'd get a mosquito bite, which was rare because of where I lived, it'd be a small bump, not itchy... not last long or bothersome..

Here, when I first moved, I'd get a mosquito bite on my ankle or leg and it would turn into a big, red, longlasting and very itchy welt...

I've always thought that had something to do with my body having a BIG reaction to the local bites because I hadn't built up any immunity to them from past exposure...

I've never read any science on this... But I've occasionally hoped that, if I stay here long enough and have enough exposure, my body will stop having the BIG reaction when I get new bites...

Of course, with dengue fever and the various other nasty stuff you risk with mosquito bites, I'm not sure trying to get a lot of bites, ala UG's example, is the way to go.

Have some marmite on toast every day,seems to work, the mossies stay away.

Regards.

Sorry, urban myth, doesn't work.

As SC said in the OP, some people are lucky enough to be born with skin that doesn't react and others can build up an immunity to the bite over time.

But the bottom line is, mozzies are not fussy, they bite everyone, and as far a I am aware no one is born immune to malaria or dengue.

I haven't worn a repellant for years, bur rarely venture outside wearing shorts (actually, make that never, I don't own any shorts) screens on all windows and doors that lead outside and covers on all standing water that doesn't have fish in it (mozzies generally don't stray more than 200 metres from a water source)

My geckos don't like me very much :o

(mozzies generally don't stray more than 200 metres from a water source)

That reminds me of another supposed thing I remember hearing mentioned here in the past. Some folks were arguing that living in a very high floor of apartment or condo building, like 20+, meant they were free of mosquitos.... But other folks said...no way... they lived high and still were getting mozzies without fail...

I'm on the second floor...so... no help for me!

Koh Samui, storm one night in '93 blew my chalet door open. Me lying p1ssed, stark bolleaux naked on top of the bed. I bet the mozzies down there are still talking about it. Since then I have had less reaction to the bites but every now and again one Supermozz strikes.

Bet the neighbours are still talking about it! :o

I wonder if I flex when the mossy is biting me it will break its teath. I might try it next time.

But I love using those electric bats that zaps them, Its also fun zapping your mate when your drunk

I believe one of the B vitamins (can't remember which one) is excreted on the skin if taken in excess, and this puts off mosquitoes.

That's vitamin B1, you're thinking of there, IJWT. Also called "Thiamine."

From Wikipedia...

"Thiamin as an insect repellent

"Some studies suggest that taking thiamin 25 to 50 mg three times per day is effective in reducing mosquito bites. A large intake of thiamin produces a skin odor that is not detectable by humans, but is disagreeable to female mosquitoes.[21] Thiamin takes more than 2 weeks before the odor fully saturates the skin. With the advances in topical preparations there is an increasing number of thiamin based repellent products. There is anecdotal evidence of thiamin products being effective in the field (Australia, US and Canada),[citation needed] but one study found thiamin had no effect.[22]"

Incidentally, a scientist won the 1929 Nobel Prize for his work on Vitamin B1, finding out that it was supplied by the brown skin which covers brown rice. White rice, which has been polished, does away with the beneficial vitamin B1 properties of unpolished (or brown) rice. So, eat your brown rice, and keep the mozzies at bay! :-)

When I was a kid, I was highly reactive to spider bites, producing silver-dollar sized welts on my skin. The Dr. suggested B1, and did not have a problem from then on. Still use it as a repellent against mosquitoes, and seems to do the trick.

Edited by toptuan

I wonder if I flex when the mossy is biting me it will break its teath. I might try it next time.

But I love using those electric bats that zaps them, Its also fun zapping your mate when your drunk

Are you having a extended flashback from the days when you took acid or is it from "flexing" in the mirror too much?

Not sure about the reaction part.

I smoke, drink whiskey, don't eat particularly healthy, shower regularly, wear clean clothes, and attract mozzies like they're having an End of the World feast ! :D

I joke with the g/f that they like farang blood because it isn't as spicy as Thai blood.

There are various lotions and sprays (especially those with Deet in them) that seem to work. I never found the "natural" citronella types to be very effective though.

In Thailand, I've found the best thing is to wear socks, shoes and long pants. Used to always wear shorts and sandals, and my feet, ankles and lower legs would be a feeding ground for the little buggers.

I did see something on the tube a short while ago that mentioned drinking Tonic Water as a way of helping keep the skeeters away. Something in the "tonic" does it I guess (and it's not the gin). Can't be the bi-carbonation, otherwise any bi-carbonated drink would do the trick.

Then there are the mosquito coils and insect sprays, but they aren't that effective outdoors (and are a pain in the butt to carry around, not to mention that the staff at various restaurants/bars get a little upset when you start hosing the place down with cans of Raid or other bug spray) :o

I heard this also, I think it is the quinnine (sp?) inside the tonic! :D

Just reading this thread as I just came home and have been bitten three times already on one leg - just one mozzie - the little bugger - who is carrying out the dasterdly deed! I am trying to kill it but look like a crazy person spraying everywhere! :D

By the way the Avon clear oil spray that somebody mentioned is called AVON SKIN SO SOFT, Replenishing Body oil spray. My Mum brought some out with her last time but it doesn't seem to help me.

Off to hunt the mozzie:)

Edited by Andiamo

Mosquitos? Try spraying Listerine in the air. We have used it throughout the house and there are no mosquitos where there used to be many. Don't know if it kills them or repels them but it works. I have cut it with water and it does not seem to lose effect. Obviously not as poisonous as the commercial products. Seems to have a residual effect for 2 or 3 days.

Smells like a home for the halitosis(ly) challenged but ain't nothin' bitin'.

If bug bites bother you tape a penney to the bite for an hour or so......no more itch, no swelling, no infection. May be the last thing a penney is any good for as well. Works well on little children.

The topical repellent spoken of earlier is "Skin so Soft". It is an Avon product and it repels the little pests. Cheers.

i very rarely get bit and when i do the bite is small and disappears quickly. no idea what i am doing differently. i heard eating a lot of garlic helps (also helps kill parasites).

Mosquitos? Try spraying Listerine in the air. We have used it throughout the house and there are no mosquitos where there used to be many. Don't know if it kills them or repels them but it works. I have cut it with water and it does not seem to lose effect. Obviously not as poisonous as the commercial products. Seems to have a residual effect for 2 or 3 days.

Smells like a home for the halitosis(ly) challenged but ain't nothin' bitin'.

If bug bites bother you tape a penney to the bite for an hour or so......no more itch, no swelling, no infection. May be the last thing a penney is any good for as well. Works well on little children.

The topical repellent spoken of earlier is "Skin so Soft". It is an Avon product and it repels the little pests. Cheers.

Ok so now gonna look completely loopy! Chasing the mossies with pennies stuck to my legs! :D Presume a 1bt coin works as well as a penny? :D At the mo I'm sat here wearing trackie bottoms with socks! Brings a whole new meaning to the TIT idea!

Will give Listerine a try too. Cheers for the suggestions!

I already eat tonnes of garlic girlx - doesn't seem to deter the little buggers! :D Not sure if that is why I can always get a stool in the Oriental coffee shop though and nobody wants to sit next to me - not even GOM! :o

Cheers,

SC

I am one of the unfortuned ones who get's bitten by mossies all day all night and it affects me very

badly no matter what I eat, no matter how much I drink I use repeliant but still suffer.

But even back home I had the same problem. Not just mossies but also ants and so on. I spend

days in hospital recovering from a bee sting