Changing Bike Registration

Hi all, I just moved from Phuket to Chiang Mai, and I have a car, and Bike, have both books and both registered in Phuket with Phuket plates. I want to change everything to CM registeration and plates, but my friend tells me that I can only do that from PHUKET!!! I hope this is not the case.

I'm especially urgent for the Bike, because my registration has expired, old 2550 sticker. I need a current one for this year for insurance purposes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Lithobid

Hi,

I sent a bike to Chiangmai from Udonthani last year and it was no problem to renew insurance/registration here,even though I had overlooked the fact that both had expired for more than one month.Wife went with the blue book and paid,the place is at nong hoy,near riverside condo I believe.

For car rego renewals the transport office is located on Hang Dong Rd on the left going south,directly opposite the airport.

Hope this helps.

Moving the changwat isnt actually required but I would if it was permanent.. You just go to the DMV and they process it, takes a week or so, then you get new local CM plates.

There is a fee but I honestly cant remember how much.

If you dont do it, the process of selling the car becomes a slower thing which possibly could sour a sale.

Edited by LivinLOS

What sort of motorbike?

If it's a big bike with a dodgy rego / book then be careful because the motorbike rego office in Chiang Mai is very strict, checking that your engine & frame nos do match the exact type of model bike you should have.

You can however keep the rego in Phuket & renew it here alright.

It is only if you want to change the place of rego from Phuket to Chiang Mai, that will do the full check where complications could arise.

Hi all, thanks for the info! I went to the DMV today, and they sent me to a smaller motorbike section over by the Holiday Inn hotel. There they said they need proof of residence to give me new plates, I've figured out that I need to goto the U.S. consolate to get a signed proof of residence, but what to I bring to the consolate. Can my landlord provide something? Any help would be great.

Cheers

Lithobid.

Hi all, thanks for the info! I went to the DMV today, and they sent me to a smaller motorbike section over by the Holiday Inn hotel. There they said they need proof of residence to give me new plates, I've figured out that I need to goto the U.S. consolate to get a signed proof of residence, but what to I bring to the consolate. Can my landlord provide something? Any help would be great.

Cheers

Lithobid.

If the US consulate is like the UK consulate, your word on it is probably enough - maybe take your copy of the rental contract as back-up.

Down here we can just go to the immigration office and get one.. I have heard CM wants to see long stay visa's (maybe even a 12 month extension) and were much more awkward about it, cant remember where I read that and dont know how accurate it is.