Own Vehicle Importation

handydog

:o

I have a 1982 Toyota Land Cruiser, it is currently road leagal and i use everyday in New Zealand. I have owned it for 5 years and would realy like to bring it with me to Thailand. 3.4 litre diesel.

My querry is what is involved in the way of paperwork at the thai end and what are the associated costs?

Thanks for advice in advance. :D

You will have to pay 100 % tax on the value the Thai customs put on it .In other words its not worth it .

It is worth about $5ooo Kiwi dollars (about 125 000 Baht) . What sort of value are they in Thai? What do they base the value on?

I want to use it there as a personal vehicle again.

You will have to pay 100 % tax on the value the Thai customs put on it .In other words its not worth it .

It is worth about $5ooo Kiwi dollars (about 125 000 Baht) . What sort of value are they in Thai? What do they base the value on?

I want to use it there as a personal vehicle again.

from memory they will base it on the new value of a toyota land cruiser. Tariffs will aslo depend on engine capacity etc.....

however they do it, it won't be fair to you. Customs are the most corrupt government department in Thailand - bar none. And that is saying alot.

Girl at work wants to import a classic merc - maybe 25 to 30 years old which she used to use in London. She's thai and very well connected, and 10 times richer than you and I will ever be in this life time or the next.

She was quoted 5 million baht to import the merc.

Try a search in the Motor Forum and you'll see that it just aint worth it.

I wanted to bring over a Yamaha Fazer, contacted Thai customs and was told 150% of the value THEY put on the motorcycle.

As Samran said customs is just about the most corrupt agency you will ever experience, in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter.

A few years ago I tried to import my Mitsubishi Delica 4x4 into Thailand from NZ. It was then worth $19,000NZ. (less than 500,000baht) Thai customs wanted 2,900,000 Baht duty as they said it was a luxury model!!?

Second hand Japanese cars are so cheap in NZ, but they are definately not worth bringing to Thailand. Your Land Cruiser will also be classed as a luxury vehicle by Thai customs, even though its just and old "truck".

Handydog,

For some reason I'm having difficulty creating a link to the Thai Customs site.

Anyway - If you Google Thai Customs you will find an English version of the Customs.go.th site. Down the left hand side of the page, click on Personal vehicles, then click on permanent import. All the rules and fees are covered.

However, as many have warned you - experience is that Thai Customs will find some way to 'fleece' you once the car arrives at BKK port.

Best of luck.