Road Rage In Thailand...

cluezo

I suffer from road rage. In the U.S., it's almost an epedemic there. Here it's a different animal. I was on my bike on Suk in Rayong trying to make a u-turn. Behind me was a pickup truck blasting it's horn at me to move along faster. There was a slight drizzle and a lot of oncoming traffic. I took my time as the pickup kept blasting it's horn. I gave him the finger - he kept blasting. The rain started to come down hard and I finally made the u-turn and turned into a Shell station for cover until the rain stopped. Much to my dismay, the pick-up pulled up behind me. A tarp unfurled from the back of the pick-up and two Thais who had been under it because of the rain, hopped out along with the driver. To make a long story short, they beat the snot out of me and sped away. I'll keep my road rage under control in Thailand. Lesson learned.

If you left the U.S. and you know how they drive in Thailand, why would you give the driver behind you the finger? It's not like in the U.S. as you have learned. It may be the land of smiles, but they are not going to take crap from a foreigner.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suffer from road rage. In the U.S., it's almost an epedemic there. Here it's a different animal. I was on my bike on Suk in Rayong trying to make a u-turn. Behind me was a pickup truck blasting it's horn at me to move along faster. There was a slight drizzle and a lot of oncoming traffic. I took my time as the pickup kept blasting it's horn. I gave him the finger - he kept blasting. The rain started to come down hard and I finally made the u-turn and turned into a Shell station for cover until the rain stopped. Much to my dismay, the pick-up pulled up behind me. A tarp unfurled from the back of the pick-up and two Thais who had been under it because of the rain, hopped out along with the driver. To make a long story short, they beat the snot out of me and sped away. I'll keep my road rage under control in Thailand. Lesson learned.

If you left the U.S. and you know how they drive in Thailand, why would you give the driver behind you the finger? It's not like in the U.S. as you have learned. It may be the land of smiles, but they are not going to take crap from a foreigner.

Yes, I learned that the hard way.

Hi cluezo... I certainly do not want to rain on your parade, but I do not see road rage as an epidemic in the U.S. My wife is Thai and we are in the U.S. right now and will be returning to Thailand soon. My wife raves about how nice it is to drive on the highways here and she has stated that she is always afraid when driving on the highways in Thailand. I will admit that there are a few angry people on the highways here but in no way do I see an epidemic of road rage. Here the Police pull you over and site you for not having your seatbelt fastened.

My wife is a kind hearted and basically shy person, but in Thailand she too gets caught up in a bit of road rage occasionally. However...she told me there is a proper way of giving the finger( i told her I do non't subscribe to this type of behavior). When giving the finger, one must look at the other driver and smile and lip the words "thank you" all at the same time. Actually I find it a bit comical but not my style and besides, I see no reason to escalate a situition unneccessarily as there are to many guns floating around.

Hi cluezo... I certainly do not want to rain on your parade, but I do not see road rage as an epidemic in the U.S. My wife is Thai and we are in the U.S. right now and will be returning to Thailand soon. My wife raves about how nice it is to drive on the highways here and she has stated that she is always afraid when driving on the highways in Thailand. I will admit that there are a few angry people on the highways here but in no way do I see an epidemic of road rage. Here the Police pull you over and site you for not having your seatbelt fastened.

My wife is a kind hearted and basically shy person, but in Thailand she too gets caught up in a bit of road rage occasionally. However...she told me there is a proper way of giving the finger( i told her I do not subscribe to this type of behavior). When giving the finger, one must look at the other driver and smile and lip the words "thank you" all at the same time. Actually I find it a bit comical but not my style and besides, I see no reason to escalate a situition unneccessarily as there are to many guns floating around.

Edited by ETC

My wife is a kind hearted and basically shy person, but in Thailand she too gets caught up in a bit of road rage occasionally. However...she told me there is a proper way of giving the finger( i told her I do non't subscribe to this type of behavior). When giving the finger, one must look at the other driver and smile and lip the words "thank you" all at the same time. Actually I find it a bit comical but not my style and besides, I see no reason to escalate a situition unneccessarily as there are to many guns floating around.

Buddy, I think she's having you on and you didn't know it. 1-0 to humouressly intelligent Thai wife.

Currently in Kamala in Phuket, the real offenders are builders trucks, particularly those with 50 Burmese workers in the back. The drivers have no desire or compullsion to stop for anyone and even run the traffic lights, Its a truly frightening vision seeing there trucks roar thru red lights on the main street....

Buddy, I think she's having you on and you didn't know it. 1-0 to humouressly intelligent Thai wife.

CarlBKK..

Is a possibility but I doubt it. Have seen her do it more then one occassion in Thailand. My wife is 51 years old and you would never expect her to do something like that, as she comes from a very good family. Frankly, I think the roads/highways in Thailand bring out the crazy in some people. Add booze to that and you have a formula for disaster. Sad but I believe to be true. Also..not easy to "have me on", as I work from my analytical side more then my emotional side (Right brain Left brain Psychology)but we'll save that for another thread.. :o

CarlBKK..

Is a possibility but I doubt it. Have seen her do it more then one occassion in Thailand. My wife is 51 years old and you would never expect her to do something like that, as she comes from a very good family. Frankly, I think the roads/highways in Thailand bring out the crazy in some people. Add booze to that and you have a formula for disaster. Sad but I believe to be true. Also..not easy to "have me on", as I work from my analytical side more then my emotional side (Right brain Left brain Psychology)but we'll save that for another thread.. :o

I've been here for 9 years, and before that I came frequently for several weeks at a time. I am married to a Thai woman. I've been driving here hundred of thousands kilometers. I have never ever heard of such a practise ..... I can not see how an educated Thai woman, in her golden age, would flip the finger with or without a smile on her face.....

CarlBKK..

I've been here for 9 years, and before that I came frequently for several weeks at a time. I am married to a Thai woman. I've been driving here hundred of thousands kilometers. I have never ever heard of such a practise ..... I can not see how an educated Thai woman, in her golden age, would flip the finger with or without a smile on her face.....

Maybe you're right.. I'm not 100% sure of everything Thai., but I wouldn't trade her for 100 buffalo and 10 elephants. :D:D

CarlBKK..

Is a possibility but I doubt it. Have seen her do it more then one occassion in Thailand. My wife is 51 years old and you would never expect her to do something like that, as she comes from a very good family. Frankly, I think the roads/highways in Thailand bring out the crazy in some people. Add booze to that and you have a formula for disaster. Sad but I believe to be true. Also..not easy to "have me on", as I work from my analytical side more then my emotional side (Right brain Left brain Psychology)but we'll save that for another thread.. :D

Maybe you're right.. I'm not 100% sure of everything Thai., but I wouldn't trade her for 100 buffalo and 10 elephants. :D:D

That's a real gentleman praise for his lady !! :o

But good that you have found your gem.... :D

1 Corinthians 13:11 (International Standard Version (©2008))

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up my childish ways.

I take it that all posters here are over the age of 13 - physically if not mentally.

Please read the verse at the top of this post and learn something from it! You, by now, should have grown out of 'My daddy's bigger than your daddy.', 'My car's better than your car.' or have you? From a lot of the postings on this thread, it appears not!

If someone annoys you by tooting the horn or similar - just ignore it or is that too much for your macho image? Life is too short for these petty annoyances. I've read on this thread about carrying a gun, screwdriver or baseball bat; what are you trying to do? What are you trying to prove?

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up my childish ways.

I take it that all posters here are over the age of 13 - physically if not mentally.

Please read the verse at the top of this post and learn something from it! You, by now, should have grown out of 'My daddy's bigger than your daddy.', 'My car's better than your car.' or have you? From a lot of the postings on this thread, it appears not!

If someone annoys you by tooting the horn or similar - just ignore it or is that too much for your macho image? Life is too short for these petty annoyances. I've read on this thread about carrying a gun, screwdriver or baseball bat; what are you trying to do? What are you trying to prove?

Sorry, born-again atheist. Boy, I bet people huddle around you at a party. :o

I am not a born again anything but that is the most appropriate quote for you and others who are children in adult's bodies. Please grow up and join civilisation - there's no membership fee.

I am not a born again anything but that is the most appropriate quote for you and others who are children in adult's bodies. Please grow up and join civilisation - there's no membership fee.

Your a satirist, right? Tell me you're joking. "there's no membership fee" -whew! That's deep. Mind telling me you age, gender & occupation?

the last time that I flipped a finger at my tgf after a big quarrel, she gave me a hard punch on me back! I could see the anger on her face. She said and warned, never never do that again in Thailand, to anyone! Well, I learned. :o

the last time that I flipped a finger at my tgf after a big quarrel, she gave me a hard punch on me back! I could see the anger on her face. She said and warned, never never do that again in Thailand, to anyone! Well, I learned. :D

Yea, me too but a little too late. :o

the last time that I flipped a finger at my tgf after a big quarrel, she gave me a hard punch on me back! I could see the anger on her face. She said and warned, never never do that again in Thailand, to anyone! Well, I learned. :D

:D We all learn lessons if we are paying attention. This thread makes me think back to the many years of marine Corp training I received. Can't remember one training manual that showed "giving the finger" as a viable option. But then again, I never trained on Thai highways either. :o 55555555555555555555555555

Mind telling me you age, gender & occupation?

Age? Old enough to post on forums - are you?

Sex? Doesn't my nickname give you a clue?

Occupation? Immaterial

Spare me, please. Go to church.

Now we've got church in on this?

Where are you driving in USA? rural Iowa or Minnesota? Have you tried Miami, Phoenix or Los Angeles to name a few? My last stopping off place in USA was a South Florida County of about 500,000 pop. I saw many, many incidents of agressive driving there every day, tailgating, excessive speed, red light running, failure to yeild, etc, etc. The last year I was there it was pretty much guranteed that I would see at least one accident per day, usually at intersections. Pedestrians, motorcycles & bicycles were fair game, with many incidents of hit& run. Phoenix Metro was pretty much the same. I have never seen such wide spread, belligerant driving behavior in Thailand, even in Bangkok. And yes, the police pull you over for many things in USA - such as: one broken tail light, liscense plate light out, not coming to a full and complete stop at 1 AM with no traffic in sight, speeding less than 5 miles over the limit, radar speed traps, where the speed is reduced from one zone to another, etc, etc. As for to many guns floating around, I think USA has Thailand beat on that one, without a doubt.

I drive in Thailand on a daily basis, but not very far and generally on the same routes. I do drive to Bangkok from Rayong once or twice a month and drive for weekends away here and there. I never enjoy the drive and always end up swearing under my breath and in total exasperation at the driving.

I returned to the UK two days ago, hired a car and drove from Heathrow to the north east. This is only 270 miles but the drive was very enjoyable. Years ago I would have considered it an inconvenience but after driving in Thailand I really enjoyed the drive. The contrast to Thailand is incredible. I was driving around 80-90mph most of the way and felt totally relaxed and never experienced one single incident of bad driving or unsafe manoeuvres, and this includes driving at rush hour out of the airport and on very busy roads. I have read some people defending the Thai driving system and justifying it as an acceptable way to drive, but this is nonsense. There is no reason why the roads in Thailand can not be the same as any other developed country. In time maybe they will, all it takes is education. I know that there is a vast difference between the Uk and Thailand in every way and I don't wish to be naive in comparing the two I just wanted to share my positive experience.

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a child.

When I became a man, I gave up my childish ways.

Ah, the arrogance of superstition..

When I was a child and spoke like a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a child,

it was because that is what children naturally do.

In today's world, "childish" tends to be a derogatory term and I have to admit that after I transitioned into adulthood, I did indeed indulge in childish behavior but I now seek the wisdom to become more childlike again.

Please read the verse at the top of this post and learn something from it!

It didn't work then, it doesn't work now, and for good reason.

The book you reference has not one statement in praise nor encouragement of human reason or intelligence.

Age? Old enough to post on forums - are you?

Sex? Doesn't my nickname give you a clue?

Occupation? Immaterial

If not, to whom are you responding?

Yes. I have never met a woman who admits to being a Hippo.

Do you collect a decent wage being an Immaterial?

Driving in Thailand can certainly test our patience..

To our fellow drivers, "Got some...??"

"Lesson learned". That's the best part of the OP's post. Respect for that.

- on flipping the finger -

When I was in high school, I'd flip the bird. That was back in the 1970's.

Sometime between then and now I totally lost the habit or 'reflex' to throw one up.

Seems to me, it really doesn't solve anything other than make me look like an angry foreigner and doesn't really do anyone else harm. Perhaps only challenge them to a fight or shootout.

- on usa vs. thailand -

I haven't made the jump, so unlike you guys I don't deal with the traffic every week. When I'm in BKK I use the skytrain and taxis. The last time I was in Pattaya I rented a car for the better part of a week and drove extensively. Traffic wasn't that bad as long as I relaxed and kept my attention on the road.

I didn't have anyone threaten me on the road in Thailand, but I drove defensively.

The only time that I've nearly been hit was in an alley by a 20'ish caucasian guy who appeared as if he may have been drinking, angry, or both. He drove a moto at an unsafe speed in a narrow soi that wasn't a thoroughfare for traffic.

I currently live in California and I've known a couple of people personally, who were killed in either carjackings or road rage incidents.

- on guns & road rage -

guns and road rage don't mix well.

in fact road rage doesn't mix well with much.

e.g., Someone offends you on the road. Could be his fault, could be your fault.

- flip him off, he does nothing. did you hurt him? don't know. do you feel better? maybe.

- flip him off, he gets in fight with you. he wins, you're beat up. he loses, maybe you all walk away. maybe he sees you again, OR writes down YOUR plate and gets you red stamped.

- flip him off, whatever happens, you or he, or both pull guns. you lose? you and perhaps your wife/girlfriend shot and wounded or dead. you win? he's dead and again, you look over your shoulder for the cops and jail or jump country or (insert other undesireable consequence here).

actually, pretty similar in california...except here they might play tag with you with the vehicle, jump you (less likely) or shoot you (more likely than fists and feet).

- Is there a point? -

Yes. Staying calm and peaceful is pretty cool. Not letting little things get to you is pretty cool. Just because you let someone pass you on the road doesn't make him a winner and you a loser... Life is short. Live well and enjoy it. Anyways that's what I try to do.

- So, everyone should be a doormat? -

Nope. I'm not saying that at all. There's plenty of things worth fighting for. Plenty of things worth dying for. Plenty of things worth killing for. Traffic just, for me, isn't one of them. I don't think I'd feel particularly proud (?) or happy that a friend of mine stood up for himself if his tombstone was inscribed with "Killed by thugs for giving them the finger".

In fact, as far as reasons to defend myself and being forced to do so go, I've had several. I've had situations where I've had to draw down on people and I don't live in the ghetto either. I've chosen in the past to give them one chance past a justifiable shoot to stand down and they (so far every time) have done so, to their benefit.

mmmm... I'm starting to ramble now.

Sorry. Just to make the one point. Life is short. It's doesn't add to the value of my life to allow myself to be angry about every little thing and get into situations, particularly if i'm not in your own home country.

And to circumvent the "oh you just say that cuz you don't have the means or experience/skill to defend yourself" or whatever... can't show you skill, but snapped a quick pic of a couple of my collection. One that I'll sadly have to leave behind when I make the jump (a few more years)...

justacouple.jpg

So anyways.... my two cents.

You can do it anyway you want. It's your life :o

Peace.

Where are you driving in USA? rural Iowa or Minnesota? Have you tried Miami, Phoenix or Los Angeles to name a few? My last stopping off place in USA was a South Florida County of about 500,000 pop. I saw many, many incidents of agressive driving there every day, tailgating, excessive speed, red light running, failure to yeild, etc, etc. The last year I was there it was pretty much guranteed that I would see at least one accident per day, usually at intersections. Pedestrians, motorcycles & bicycles were fair game, with many incidents of hit& run. Phoenix Metro was pretty much the same. I have never seen such wide spread, belligerant driving behavior in Thailand, even in Bangkok. And yes, the police pull you over for many things in USA - such as: one broken tail light, liscense plate light out, not coming to a full and complete stop at 1 AM with no traffic in sight, speeding less than 5 miles over the limit, radar speed traps, where the speed is reduced from one zone to another, etc, etc. As for to many guns floating around, I think USA has Thailand beat on that one, without a doubt.

I will agree that it's fair to say that Phoenix, L.A. and Miami do have their share of crazies on the Highways, especially since Nafta and Gatt were inacted. The last 5-10 years has brought a huge influx of people from South of the border and it will only get worse as time goes on. I am very familiar with all those areas but I think you will find Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Utah and a whole bunch more that are not experiencing a road rage epidemic. Even in Alaska, you're more apt to encounter Moose rage on the highways or eaten by a bear on the Alcan Highway while changing a tire. As for the guns..It's legal to carry guns in the U.S. Has something to do with the Second Amendment. May have to get a gun in Thailand myself if the mossies get any bigger, and yes, I know I am not suppose to own a firearm in Thailand.

Now back on topic. As for road rage in Thailand, I pay no real attention to it as I am a courteous, safe, defensive driver and I'm never in a hurry. I think it all goes back about 55+ years when I used to play Dodge Ball in grade school, as I was rather good at it! However..now I have a bit of an edge, as I drive a big truck (Ford). :D

Frankly speaking, I think there is more forum rage on TV then road rage on the Thai Highways. People everywhere need to lighten up and smell the roses more. :o

You flipped some guy the finger and got beaten up for it. It took you how many years before you learned that lesson?

The guy deserved the finger, he was driving negligently and rudely.

Yes the guy deserved the finger. If only the OP had explained that to the three men as they beat him up...

Here in Phuket you just have sooooo many terrible drivers, and soooo many people that do not abide by the rules of the road that it is almost impossible not to get upset. Really that's why I prefer the motorbike....

Today I was in the truck, I had a Toyota SUV, one of the bigger ones (Fortuner?) riding my rear bumper at 120, trying to get past but we had trucks and slow moving vehicles in the slow lane. The genius then swerves all the way to the left to pass all in the motorcycle lane and almost kills an old guy on his bike with the side car !!! Just amazing.

I never do anything like road rage, but at times I do like to jam up these a**sholes, box em in or brake a bit when they are tailgating.

Beware of guns though...

Yes, I've also had some incredibly rude, not to mention downright dangerous, driving experiences here on Phuket.

But, do you know? After the first time I had someone pull up alongside me forcing me to stop and pointing a gun at me, I had a Thai friend go and buy me a Great Big Gun (we're not allowed to of course). You should see the look on their faces when I stop, or, more effectively in my view, actually reverse back down the the road and stop directly in front of them, and pull it out, the gun that is :o and point it straight at them:lol:

(This works incredibly well on a certain class of farang on their hols who think they can get away with driving as rudely/badly as the locals, by the way. In fact, you can actually see them shit themselves).

What a TIT you are ... Obviously a nobody in your own country, so you come here with a few quid and think your a god. What a prat.

Sorry to hear you were beaten but it could have been worse.

I had an incident two years ago in Chiang Mai of something akin to 'road rage'. I was riding one of the "song-thao" trucks. At a traffic light an SUV pulled up so close I thought it bumped the rear bumper of the truck I was in. As I was closest to the rear I made a face at the driver, then put my foot out and pushed on the bumper of the SUV as the song thao began moving again.

Evidently a bad move on my part, especially given the thais over-blown mindless phobia for feet. The SUV followed me the entire trip, and when I got out, it parked, and then crept down the street where I was walking still following me. I was going to Chiang Mai University so when I went into the university grounds it drove off and wasn't there when I returned several hours later. I did have the presence of mind to note the license number, but it would have done me no good if they'd jumped out and confronted me.

As far as the poster who carries a gun in the glorious "Land 'O Thais", you are on thin ice over very deep water. I am afraid you might find out the hard way that hospitals here charge a premium to remove a "Great Big Gun" from your lower g/i tract. Either that or you'll be on the back page of a newspaper under the heading; "Foreigner shoots self with illegal gun". Never ever underestimate anyone here.

I carried a concealed weapon for close to 10 years in the US. I never once drew it defensively or offensively, nor was I even tempted to. Any responsible gun owner knows NEVER pull or point a gun at anyone you're not prepared to shoot dead. It's not like waving a piece of pipe, or showing a knife, it's a horse of a different color completely. I fear the poster who boasts of his actions to the contrary in thailand is alas; color blind.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by tod-daniels

I carried a concealed weapon for close to 10 years in the US. I never once drew it defensively or offensively, nor was I even tempted to. Any responsible gun owner knows NEVER pull or point a gun at anyone you're not prepared to shoot dead. It's not like waving a piece of pipe, or showing a knife, it's a horse of a different color completely.

Exactly. Even a pipe or knife and (here) they can turn around and have you arrested for 12020 pc (brandishing a weapon). Thailand, I believe, has similar laws for brandishing and/or possession, particularly for long knives.