Impossible To Open A Thai Bank Accont Now Without Wp

Would you...(or anyone ) know if you can open a BKK bank New York branch account while in the USA?

The BKK Bank office in New York is not a consumer branch, so they don't "open" consumer accounts there regardless of your location.

I See

Thanks for the information!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jimjim, I have an SCB account and have seen their information on that approach, but have never pursued it or gotten into the details of it.....

1. Have you actually used it, and if so, for what purpose?

2. If so, what kind of documentation, if any, did they require?

3. The approval process you mentioned, is that a one-time set-up thing, or a every transaction type thing?

4. What are the fees/percentages involved from SCB?

Thanks much...

I haven't actually used it. It looks like just a one time approval and then you can do it as much as you like. Didn't see anything about fees. Of course you know this but if you log in to your account online you can see more details. You can print off a form, fill it out and either send it in or you may have to physically take it in and get it approved. The only reasons they have listed online are for family assistance or education to send funds out of Thailand.

My 10 Baht's worth. Just over a year ago i went into SCB Sattahip branch and asked if i could open an account. Do you have a work permit they asked. No i am retired (type "B" visa) no way pedro came the reply, or the Thai equivalent. I go 50 yards up the road and tried the Bank of Ayudhya, handed them my passport and walked out with a savings account book and an ATM card in 15 mins.

I think they only asked if i lived in Sattahip (i do) as i had no other paperwork with me.

Roll forward a year, i happen to be in the same SCB bank with a Thai friend and i thought just for the hel_l of it, i would ask again if i could open on account. Where do you live they asked, ok they say bring passport and your house papers. It was the same girl i spoke to a year before! So back i go a week later with passport and blue house book and they open an account for me. When i had the book and ATM card in my hand i asked her why the change. I got the classic Thai answer, that little tilt of the head and the smile. Go figure.

I went to every bank yesterday not even in Bangkok I live in Samut Prakan. I tried Siam City Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, Bangkok Bank, Krung Thai, Kaisikorn, Aduthaya (excuse spelling) every one of them said every bank in Thailand has recieced new legal policies from the Bank of Thailand (whoever they are) saying under NO circimstances can a foreigner open up any type of account with just passport. They did however say if you can show either a retirement visa or student documentation they will open a savings account. I'm 28 so the retirement option is a way off and no i'm not planning on going back to school. So for the average tourist or guy here for long term on another visa you CANNOT get a bank account anymore. I'm married to a Thai and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

I opened a new savings account with Bangkok Bank in Hua Hin last week. All they needed was my passport. Took a photocopy but not of the page containing my visa. Suggest you try again, somewhere else if necessary. If all else fails you can open an account with HSBC Bank in Bangkok. HSBC currently don't have any branches elsewhere in Tailand but you can use their ATM or Credit card anywhere. I also get monthly interest on my savings account with HSBC but not on my current checking account.

Hi,

Now that we all know that to be allowed to open a bank account with a tourist visa depends on the branch (as well as renewing your passbook...) can you tell me

WHERE TO OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT WITH TOURIST VISA ON SUKHUMVIT OR PETCHABURI ?

I need somebody who did it lately as some friends are coming this week and need a bank account, but I don't want to have to ask to all branches.

Thanks.

I just checked my BKK Bank savings account, and find I am getting no interest...but don't keep money there...anyway..

However, regarding the comment above about Internet banking with them, when I opened the account, I did ask for and receive Internet banking access, so I can log-on from anywhere....

The one thing you need to have with them to activate Internet banking is a working Thai mobile number, because that's where they send a code that is part of the activation process.... If you're physically outside Thailand and cannot receive SMS on your Thai mobile, then you wouldn't be able to complete the process.

However, that's a different thing, than farangs not being able to have Internet banking with BKK Bank... They most certainly can. And again, in my case, it was a savings account opened only with a business visa and no other documentation required.

That is not correct - having a Thai Mobile Number is one of two alternative arrangements

If you wish to operate your accounts without a mobile whether outside Thailand or in

- you can choose to have a second level password - PIN2 for authorising Transfers

Hi,

Now that we all know that to be allowed to open a bank account with a tourist visa depends on the branch (as well as renewing your passbook...) can you tell me

I need somebody who did it lately as some friends are coming this week and need a bank account, but I don't want to have to ask to all branches.

Thanks.

I've always heard on this forum and from my friend's personal experience that Kasikorn in Bangkok is the easiest to open an account with just a passport. They have a policy to be foreigner friendly unless this changed in the last few months. So, just find a Kasikorn branch. There will be many on both of the roads you mentioned. You should have no problem.

I had this problem a few years ago, being told I must have a workpermit, and dragged myself all over town, finally discovered that the BankThai outlet at Siam Square did not ask for a WP, only a passport. Sent several friends there later and we all opened an account no problem, may have changed now though...

Hi,

Thanks.

I've always heard on this forum and from my friend's personal experience that Kasikorn in Bangkok is the easiest to open an account with just a passport. They have a policy to be foreigner friendly unless this changed in the last few months. So, just find a Kasikorn branch. There will be many on both of the roads you mentioned. You should have no problem.

The BKK Bank branch on Sukhumvit Road at Soi 10 generally has a good track record... But be aware, there have been posts here lately about BKKB's company policy being to ask for a letter of recommendation from people on tourist visas seeking new accounts. Whether they would follow that rule probably depends on which way the wind is blowing that day... See the prior post in this thread from Lopburi... And yes... Kasikorn has a good reputation for being farang friendly....

Ive been on a very long holiday in Thailand since 2/2000. I opened an account at Bankok Bank within 4 months of arriving. Ive had up to 4 different accounts...Samui, Chang Rai, and 2 in Chang Mai for 8 years. I have since closed most of them and kept one in Chang Mai. Ive never had anything but a passport. The first 5 years i was on one month visas. The key here is Bankok Bank and a really good attitude i presume. They have a policy to let foreigners open savings bank accounts based on counter withdrawal and debit card and ATM use only. I have found this to be one of the most reliable and useful aspects of my entire stay in thailand! These accounts are probably interest free but i have never cared since I transfer money every month and spend it all every month. The only way interest would matter is if you wanted to bring a large sum of money over to let it sit. Now why would anyone want to do that. You cant buy land and there are countless restrictions on foriegn investment. The most you are going to get is less than a percent anyway. Actually I talked with the foriegn remittance personnel in Bankok Bank the other day. They said that I would receive the interest on my savings account if i transferred money into it from my home country, so I am not sure what you are talking about.

give em a ring and get it from the horses mouth :o

Amazing no one has mentioned Krung Thai Bank. Head office on Soi 3.

Will open to foreigners without WP, but they will let you know that the account will have 0% interest & they don't issue an ATM.

Other than that, mainly used for transferring funds from abroad & withdraw from many of their banks around Thailand..

Probably because they have a non-resident account which pays no interest
Savings Deposit Interest Rate (%) / Year

Current Deposit 0.00

Savings deposit for :

- Retail Customer

Savings deposit for :

- Non Resident - Individual

Just yesterday BKK Bank offered 2.3 - 3.5% for a fixed deposit .. they approached me about it.

The key here is Bankok Bank and a really good attitude i presume. They have a policy to let foreigners open savings bank accounts based on counter withdrawal and debit card and ATM use only.

If you have a good relationship with your bank officer (BKK Bank), you can get a credit card. I have had one since '96 (last new card was for 3 years) .. and no, it isn't a debit card .. and my balance in that particular bank account has dropped well below the Bt 150,000 limit on several occasions and for extended periods.

Interesting article in Nation today:icon_mail.gif

PERSONAL FINANCE

Bank accounts for foreigners

By Ekarin Bumroongpuk

The Nation

Published on June 26, 2008

A look at the qualification criteria at various insititutions and the documents you need

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/06/26...ss_30076519.php

Inthai - thank you very, very, much for posting such a useful article!

The part to consider for this thread is:

Among the large banks, only Bangkok Bank allows foreigners with tourist visas to open a savings account and provides debit-card access at any ATM nationwide. However, applications from this category are considered on a case-by-case basis and tourists must stay at least 180 days in the Kingdom.

Foreigners who enter Thailand via an on-arrival visa - valid for 30 days - will not be considered.

A Bangkok Bank savings account requires a minimum initial deposit of Bt500, plus a Bt100 joining fee and Bt150-Bt200 annually for an ATM card."

I would guess the reason I was accepted on a 30 day visa was because I had bought a condominium and needed to set up standing orders to pay the utility bills.

It looks like things are coming together! Now all I need is the ability to monitor my Bangkok Bank savings account via the internet - This would enable me to keep it topped up at the correct level and set up international connections at the London end.

Edited by pkrv

As higher interest rates are on the cards for Thailand Banks would this have any bearing on the greater difficulty in opening accounts.

Has the BOT changed the rules or told the banks that to curtail Farangs opening accounts.Also the inflow of monies from eastern European country's where currency controls are not fully implemented.

As higher interest rates are on the cards for Thailand Banks would this have any bearing on the greater difficulty in opening accounts.

Has the BOT changed the rules or told the banks that to curtail Farangs opening accounts.Also the inflow of monies from eastern European country's where currency controls are not fully implemented.

I most certainly do not wish to appear condesending towards Thailand, but I think this is just a positive indication that it is growing up, IMO FAST, which is of course why I now own property here. Banking practices are improving. (I cannot comment on Eastern Eurpoean currency flow I know nothing about it).

I went to every bank yesterday not even in Bangkok I live in Samut Prakan. I tried Siam City Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, Bangkok Bank, Krung Thai, Kaisikorn, Aduthaya (excuse spelling) every one of them said every bank in Thailand has recieced new legal policies from the Bank of Thailand (whoever they are) saying under NO circimstances can a foreigner open up any type of account with just passport. They did however say if you can show either a retirement visa or student documentation they will open a savings account. I'm 28 so the retirement option is a way off and no i'm not planning on going back to school. So for the average tourist or guy here for long term on another visa you CANNOT get a bank account anymore. I'm married to a Thai and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

To the OP if still checking this board and still need to open an account:

If you are married to a Thai, have her talk to her village "mayor" ("Gahmnan" or "Obortor" or "Puyah Baan") and have him vouch for you. He will sign a form provided by the bank (you have to ask for it) which basically says that he knows you. Take that back to the bank with her in tow and you can open the account the same day. It is YOUR account and her name is not on it anywhere.

I cannot remember the name of the form, but my wife says the bank should know without much explanation required. Should be easy if you go to an upcountry branch, but difficult if you try someplace like Bangkok.

Good luck!

PM-ing the message to you too.

To the OP if still checking this board and still need to open an account:

If you are married to a Thai, have her talk to her village "mayor" ("Gahmnan" or "Obortor" or "Puyah Baan") and have him vouch for you. He will sign a form provided by the bank (you have to ask for it) which basically says that he knows you. Take that back to the bank with her in tow and you can open the account the same day. It is YOUR account and her name is not on it anywhere.

I cannot remember the name of the form, but my wife says the bank should know without much explanation required. Should be easy if you go to an upcountry branch, but difficult if you try someplace like Bangkok.

Good luck!

PM-ing the message to you too.

It may be that my own experience in Feb is now out of date. Hemaraj a .SETI listed company may now be able to vouch for me (they were embarrassed that they could not help me in the past). IMO things are moving at a fast pace.

I opened an account with Kasikorn Bank on Pratamnak Rd in Pattaya in mid-March 2008 on nothing but a 30 day visa exempt stamp. They asked for a physical address but told me nothing would be mailed to that address.

20 minutes and I had a passbook account earning .75% with an ATM card and online banking (you have to complete the online set-up after an SMS or e-mail confirmation message). The ATM card and the online banking cost me 300-400 baht as I recall. Quick, efficient and they were eager to sell me a variety of time deposit products.

I can pay some bills online and transfer funds between K-Bank accounts and 5-7 other Thai banks.

~WISteve

Interesting article in Nation today:icon_mail.gif

PERSONAL FINANCE

Bank accounts for foreigners

By Ekarin Bumroongpuk

The Nation

Published on June 26, 2008

A look at the qualification criteria at various insititutions and the documents you need

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/06/26...ss_30076519.php

In practice, that article is not accurate completely, but a fairly good guide. I've heard numerous reports of those with just a passport getting bank accounts at Kasikorn. They seem to have no requirements in practice, although officially they do. Probably the author just called up the banks and asked them but since they were a Thai, they got a different version. Actually a stricter version than is the reality.

I'd certainly agree that the article describes supposed rules/policies that are not fully followed by bank branches...

Experience shows it's certainly possible to open new Thai accounts, including debit cards and online banking, without having a work permit. And there are other issues as well...where the supposed rule doesn't always apply...

• 3 weeks later...

Thread Bump - We keep going around this subject - Contained within

Links to 'The Nation' article on this issue.

Full instructions to open a Bangkok Bank account

Latest developements because things are moving forward quite fast.

I walked into Kasikorn Bank in Patong. They asked for a work permit and I told them I did not work there. Why would I need a work permit?

I did have a Thai national friend's address and a copy of his house registration, a copy of his ID card and his phone number. They called him to verify me. I had a 30 day tourist pass.

I got a bank account and a Visa debit card. :o