Englishman Dies Following Fall From 3rd Floor Apartment

libya 115

A skilled diver would know how to make sure he lands head first into the pavement.

And I assure you, if someone takes a dive straight down head first onto the pavement from three stories up, they'll die one million times in one million attempts.

what a load of bolony

RIP

All it seems is that his death was strange

Friends knowing him well,

the short distance of the fall,

his age etc.

I hope that someone undeserving hasn't got a hold of his assets

and if they had anything to do with this they are held responsible.!

RIP

A skilled diver would know how to make sure he lands head first into the pavement.

And I assure you, if someone takes a dive straight down head first onto the pavement from three stories up, they'll die one million times in one million attempts.

what a load of bolony

RIP

I wonder which part of my post you find to be "bolony" (actually spelled "boloney" or "baloney").

Do you think that a person cannot make sure he hits headfirst, or that even if he did, he wouldn't die?

Maybe you just take exception to the fact that I think it was probably a suicide (as the police who investigated the scene also think).

Anyway, good luck with your next post. And be careful with the long words.

I know they're difficult, especially the words that are longer than four letters.

"Hotel staff led the police to examine Mr. Norton's room and found no trace of fighting, and all of his property in an orderly condition. Inspecting the air circulation window on the staircase near Mr. Norton's room, police found evidence of footprints and signs of climbing consistent with the apparent trajectory of the deceased's body as it hit the ground. Presumably, Mr. Norton had climbed up to the air circulation window and leapt off to commit suicide, but the motive is still unknown."

from: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000006270

Why would anyone, at his age of 75, climb up such a complicated way (outside his own room) and jump from an air circulation window ?.... :D :D

I'm puzzled but don't believe the story, as described, for a second.

One doesn't fly to the other side of the world, just a week ago, to climb up a stupid circulation window, next to your own room, and jump.

It might be that he wanted to fix the window, or rescue a bird or small animal or such...slipped and fell, but suicide (this way)...NO.

May he RIP. :D

edit:

I wish to add that someone who jumps does not really care to take the key of the hotel room with him... :o (as described in the report)

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Why would anyone, at his age of 75, climb up such a complicated way (outside his own room) and jump from an air circulation window ?.... :D:o

One doesn't fly to the other side of the world, just a week ago, to climb up a stupid circulation window, next to your own room, and jump.

It might be that he wanted to fix the window, or rescue a bird or small animal or such...slipped and fell, but suicide (this way)...NO.

First, he wasn't there for seven days, it was seven years.

Mrs. Jamnong Ratanajaruen-norakul (40), a hotel maid, told police that Mr. Norton had been a hotel guest for about 7 years and this time he had been staying at a room on the 3rd floor that she regularly cleaned.

I didn't know it was a window, which makes it even more certain to be a suicide in my mind.

This means he had to deliberately climb (as his footprints show) and maneuver his way outside the window, a deliberate act.

I've never heard of a murderer shoving someone through a small "circulation" window.

Almost impossible because if someone doesn't want to go through that window, dam_n near impossible to push him through.

And your theory about an accident, though not nearly as impossible as murder, is another big time stretch.

Every single shred of information indicates suicide, and nothing to the contrary.

Why would anyone, at his age of 75, climb up such a complicated way (outside his own room) and jump from an air circulation window ?.... :D:o

First, he wasn't there for seven days, it was seven years.

Mrs. Jamnong Ratanajaruen-norakul (40), a hotel maid, told police that Mr. Norton had been a hotel guest for about 7 years and this time he had been staying at a room on the 3rd floor that she regularly cleaned.

I didn't know it was a window, which makes it even more certain to be a suicide in my mind.

This means he had to deliberately climb (as his footprints show) and maneuver his way outside the window, a deliberate act.

I've never heard of a murderer shoving someone through a small "circulation" window.

Almost impossible because if someone doesn't want to go through that window, dam_n near impossible to push him through.

And your theory about an accident, though not nearly as impossible as murder, is another big time stretch.

Every single shred of information indicates suicide, and nothing to the contrary.

A personal friend of Mr. Norton wrote that he just returned from the UK and that's why I wrote "One doesn't fly to the other side of the world, just a week ago" which was correct, according to Mr. Norton's friend:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t&p=2029845

I questioned suicide because it's very strange to climb to a small circulation window on the third floor (outside your own room) and jump....and take the door key from that room with you ?

If someone of 75 years old wishes to commit suicide why not jump from the window in your own room on the third floor....?

That's plain odd.

LaoPo

A personal friend of Mr. Norton wrote that he just returned from the UK and that's why I wrote "One doesn't fly to the other side of the world, just a week ago" which was correct, according to Mr. Norton's friend:

I questioned suicide because it's very strange to climb to a small circulation window on the third floor (outside your own room) and jump....and take the door key from that room with you ?

If someone of 75 years old wishes to commit suicide why not jump from the window in your own room on the third floor....?

That's plain odd.

LaoPo

Yeah, but he lived in that room in Pattaya, which means that it was probably the plan to come back to Pattaya whether he got depressed while he was in the UK or not.

Maybe he thought about ending it in the UK but didn't want to do it near his family.

About the key being on him, that could be just a force of habit, for someone to always have their key in their pocket.

I don't know the layout of the hotel, but many have shrubs and other things like balconies and cars so that he may have decided on that window because of the concrete clearing below.

And 75, who knows why people commit suicide at any age. Maybe he was sick, suffering mentally and/or physically, and this was the quick way of ending that suffering.

You're right. This is odd. But just because it's an odd suicide doesn't mean it's not a suicide.

All the hard evidence points toward suicide.

It wouldn't be the first time someone has returned home, found "teerak" is no longer around (or has hooked up with someone else) and has decided to take a short step off a high ledge.

I have no idea if he did have a long-term relationship with someone (in Thailand), but it does seem to be one of the recurring themes when it comes to these kinds of tragedies.

Could also be that maybe he received some news (of the "incurable" kind) while he was home in the UK.

(Back where I was living in Canada, we have what is called "The Long Walk". Someone who gets diagnosed with something bad drives off into the woods. Strips down to what he was born in, and starts walking, and walking, and walking. Keeps going until exhaustion and exposure (hypothermia) sets in. Then you curl up for the final sleep.)

Any ways, in the absence of a note of any kind though, every thing is just pure, unsubstantiated speculation.

There is always going to be speculation on these kind of deaths because of their frequency in Pattaya.

More farangs per capita seem to jump from apartments in Pattaya than anywhere esle in the world.

In the city of sin and pleasure it does seem odd.

Given the incompetence and general corruption of the local authorities it is normal to be suspicious even where there may seem to be no reason for suspicion.

I don't know the real details and never will but balcony jumping in Pattaya to me always rings alarm bells and i am always deeply suspicious of these deaths being labelled suicides.

It wouldn't be the first time someone has returned home, found "teerak" is no longer around (or has hooked up with someone else) and has decided to take a short step off a high ledge.

I have no idea if he did have a long-term relationship with someone (in Thailand), but it does seem to be one of the recurring themes when it comes to these kinds of tragedies.

Could also be that maybe he received some news (of the "incurable" kind) while he was home in the UK.

(Back where I was living in Canada, we have what is called "The Long Walk". Someone who gets diagnosed with something bad drives off into the woods. Strips down to what he was born in, and starts walking, and walking, and walking. Keeps going until exhaustion and exposure (hypothermia) sets in. Then you curl up for the final sleep.)

Any ways, in the absence of a note of any kind though, every thing is just pure, unsubstantiated speculation.

Serious ??

Was it/is it a regular thing ??

Serious ??

Was it/is it a regular thing ??

Not a routine thing, maybe once every few years, and not always in the same manner (i.e. they don't always strip down naked first). Some of the stories are probably hunters that got lost and died of exposure, or had an accident deep in the bush and were never found again.

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to commit suicide by jumping from a 3rd floor. There's too much risk of ending up seriously injured instead of dead.

I remember a few years ago a beer bar owner chose the same method of suicide from a second floor balcony, not the third.

A skilled diver - what planet are you from, try reading what the people who knew him have to say. And how many people jump from a condo in the real world. Turning a bit too much thai i think - bar would suffice (beer bar!!!!!!!!!!)

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to commit suicide by jumping from a 3rd floor. There's too much risk of ending up seriously injured instead of dead.

I remember a few years ago a beer bar owner chose the same method of suicide from a second floor balcony, not the third.

A skilled diver - what planet are you from, try reading what the people who knew him have to say. And how many people jump from a condo in the real world. Turning a bit too much thai i think - bar would suffice (beer bar!!!!!!!!!!)

Umm...yeah. Be sure to turn in your report at the police station.

You had me at "how many people jump from a condo in the real world. Turning a bit too much thai"

With that, you got me. I believe you have just convinced everyone, including any police who happen to read your words, that there's no way this was a suicide.

How do you become a skilled diver

You become a skilled diver by attempting to dive into water, so that it's vertical enough to be considered a dive and not a belly flop, from a diving board, rock (cliff), or dock until you get it right.

For me, I had a little swimming hole near my rural home with a dock, which stood about 1 metre above the water, erected by someone unknown before my time.

I learned how to dive from the top of this dock at about age 6 or 7 (can't nail the year exactly).

A young learner, I learned how to swim at age 4 (and this one I remember, the fascination of being able to do it for the first time).

Suffice it to say, I was diving smoothly after 3 or 4 painful belly flops, and never belly flopped again after the first good dive.

Like learning how to ride a bicycle.

But I digress, that I made that first post thinking that he took a header off a balcony.

Now it appears that he simply fell backwards from a window ledge that he climbed up to from the 3rd floor get on, which puts it about 8 or 9 metres above the ground.

All that is required for a major blow to the head is for someone to not be pivoting so quickly that he does a full somersault.

At g=9.8 m/s/s, (thanks for the reminder Kerry D), this fall was less than 1.4 seconds, not hard to avoid a somersault.

Those who knew him can take comfort in the fact that he went out on his own terms, instead of long term suffering and agony.

RIP

That's plain odd.

LaoPo

The only hard evidence is a dead man of 75 years old.

Did you read what poster 'eyebee' wrote - a personal friend of Mr. Roy Norton ?

1. Roy was one of my best friends in Pattaya. He had NOT just gone through divorce proceedings - he divorced over 25 years ago.

2. He drank, but not to excess, and enjoyed the bars and all that Pattaya has to offer. He was also a well respected member of our quiz team. He had no money troubles,....he only got back to Pattaya a week ago.

3. He has a son and daughter and grandchildren, who he loved very much. One of the nicest people you could wish to meet

4. I know for a fact that he was looking forward to watching the Olympics later this year, and was going back to the UK to watch it. He had even bought a new HD TV for the event. His friends are all stunned, and cannot understand why he would wish to take his life.

My own conclusion:

This man didn't travel such a long way to commit suicide (after a week in Pattaya) and didn't buy a new HD TV to watch the Olympics (in the UK) and changed his mind by thinking "oh well, what the heck, let me kill myself...I can 'live' without the Olympics..."

If I read 'eyebee's words, he was not a stupid man, KNOWING he would cause his son, daughter and grandchildren such agony and problems if he would kill himself so far away from them.

My thoughts: accident, but....nobody to confirm... :o

LaoPo

That's plain odd.

LaoPo

The only hard evidence is a dead man of 75 years old.

We not only know that he's dead, we also know how he died.

It's impossible speculate on the mindset of someone before something like this. More times than I can count, I've read in the news about shocking things people have done, that shocked and surprised the most, the people who knew and loved them the most.

Some people might contemplate suicide for a long time, others for not so long, could even be a spontaneous act of desperation. His friend "eyebee" didn't talk about seeing him in the days or hours before his death. Maybe something happened that really upset him, making the Olympics a very secondary afterthought.

Who knows, all I know is that I can't speculate as to his state of mind.

The fact is (the only hard evidence we have), that he climbed up to a window, and put himself enough outside of the window, so that, willingly or unwillingly, one little slip,push, or jump made him fall out and down to the ground.

This already bizarre thing to do, combined with the fact that he actually did fall, leads me to think very strongly that the whole series of events, including the fall that lead to his death, was fully intentional.

I have just returned from Roy's funeral - held at Wat Nong Orr, Pattaya Klang. His son and daughter had come over from England. Both lovely people, showing what a good father Roy had been. About 50 people were in attendance.

Apparently he had been suffering from a kidney disease, and his doctor in the UK had advised him not to travel to Thailand. He obviously wanted to come just one more time. When I had seen him he seemed quite well, but obviously took a turn for the worse. Another friend saw him the day before he died and said he could hardly get out of his chair. Roy told his friend that he had changed his ticket and was due to go back to the UK the following day. (This is confirmed, and a taxi turned up to take him to the airport after he was dead).

My supposition is that he intended to go back to the UK, but at the last minute couldn't face the journey from Pattaya to Suvarnhabhumi, then from BKK to Heathrow, and then a long journey to Cornwall. I reckon it would have been over 24 hours of agony for him. He must have then decided to end his life in Thailand - which he loved.

I won't be adding any more to this thread as I would rather think about the first 75+ years of Roy's life than the last 12 hours.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed in a sensible way.

I have just returned from Roy's funeral - held at Wat Nong Orr, Pattaya Klang. His son and daughter had come over from England. Both lovely people, showing what a good father Roy had been. About 50 people were in attendance.

Apparently he had been suffering from a kidney disease, and his doctor in the UK had advised him not to travel to Thailand. He obviously wanted to come just one more time. When I had seen him he seemed quite well, but obviously took a turn for the worse. Another friend saw him the day before he died and said he could hardly get out of his chair. Roy told his friend that he had changed his ticket and was due to go back to the UK the following day. (This is confirmed, and a taxi turned up to take him to the airport after he was dead).

My supposition is that he intended to go back to the UK, but at the last minute couldn't face the journey from Pattaya to Suvarnhabhumi, then from BKK to Heathrow, and then a long journey to Cornwall. I reckon it would have been over 24 hours of agony for him. He must have then decided to end his life in Thailand - which he loved.

I won't be adding any more to this thread as I would rather think about the first 75+ years of Roy's life than the last 12 hours.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed in a sensible way.

:o Thank you for the explanation 'eyebee'.

May he Rest In Peace.

LaoPo