Dial Up Internet--cost Of Getting Cut Off?

meowchawpnom

I'm trying to estimate monthly costs if I were to get an unlimited dialup package and use it at the hotel I'm staying at (long term). The hotel says that I can have unlimited time on one 5 baht call, but if I leave my computer connected to the net from the time I wake up till the time I go to sleep, how many times, on average, do you think I would get cut off and have to redial at the cost of another 5 baht?

I don't know whether it's the ISP or the phone company that cuts you off, but I remember many years ago when I used dialup in the West, that cutoffs were frequent.

Also, is there any way you can prevent cutoffs? I think I've heard of programs that send signals or whatever to the ISP to make it look like you're there and using it, even if you're taking a shower or whatever. Do these actually work and could make it possible to stay on all day with one phone call?

Thanks for all answers.

usually cut outs are because of your phone line.Noisy line is the biggest cause of it.If your line is clean,although in thailand there are very few.and Sometimes ISP disconnects it too.I m using dialup unlimited.I usually have to connect about 5 times a day.

Usually cutoffs when not using the pc are due to the modem at either end disconnecting due to inactivity.

There are many programs that can enable a connection to be kept alive.

Beleive one is included in norton systemworks.

One call should in theory last until you book out !

KSC dialup cuts you off after 100 minutes, activity or not :o

Standard operating procedure for the Thai ISP's - particularly the prepaid ones which range from 3 hours to 5 hours as far as I know.

To answer yr question - prior to ADSL I was using a 30 day prepaid card which entitled me to unlimited dialup for 30 days with a maximum 4 hour connect per session. Invariably I would have to dial in an average of 8 - 10 times per day when combined with phone line issues.

I'm trying to estimate monthly costs if I were to get an unlimited dialup package and use it at the hotel I'm staying at (long term). The hotel says that I can have unlimited time on one 5 baht call, but if I leave my computer connected to the net from the time I wake up till the time I go to sleep, how many times, on average, do you think I would get cut off and have to redial at the cost of another 5 baht?

Thanks for all answers.

One aspect that you may not thaught about is how often the hotel would cut you off.

They presumably do not have many lines in to the hotel and many not be too happy with you using the one line 100% of the time for 5 baht.

Also be careful on their charging, I know some hotels etc have time limits on local calls.

HTH

Some isp will cut you off, some will not. I'm using "Ji-Net 1222 unlimited 15 days" and it doesn't cut me off. If you buy one of those web kits from Pantip (or wherever) you can ask them which isp will cut you off and which one will not. I rarely get cut off, one call will usually last me the whole day (10 hours+) and I was once connected for 39 hours before the connection was terminated by myself. I am not using any sort of software to keep the connection alive.

Thank you. Very interesting, you seem to have had different experiences. My hotel normally says they charge 5 baht for 10 minutes, but they say if I stay long time they will make it 5 baht per call, no limit.

I'm also looking at these unlimited 30 day things you can buy at the computer malls. They all seem to be 1222 deals, and I have no idea how that affects things.

I'm amazed that you're not getting cut off, Gleen Tea. If I do this, I think I will try Ji-Net on your recommendation. I was going to get Loxinfo, as they seem the most well known company. But maybe they cut you off.

1222 dial-up is only for TOT phone lines, so you'd better ask your hotel first to make sure. It won't work with TRUE (Telecomasia) lines. There was one of those unlimited packages for TRUE phone lines, from M-Web, but I don't know if it's still available. Better ask at the store. Each ISP has a different deal, some will not cut you off, some will cut you off after 3 hours, some after 4 or 6 hours. Again, better ask at the store. Ji-Net 1222 does not cut you off, I remember that E-Go also doesn't cut you off but for me their connection was a lot slower. I can't remember the deal with Loxinfo but I always felt that Loxinfo was not very good value for money. But some do like them and swear they're faster and more stable. But like someone mentioned, if you get a lot of noise on your line you might get cut off anyway :o