Bbq Party Friendship Beach, Phuket, 12 July 2008

george

You are cordially invited to another Thaivisa BBQ party to be held at

Friendship Beach Waterfront Resort Phuket

Sponsored in part by;

phuket.gif

donsfoods3.gif

tec.gif

The festivities will begin at 7pm on Saturday, 12 July 2008 at The Friendship Beach Resort

All Thaivisa members plus 1 guest are cordially invited and

there are no signups required to attend

Only the following pre-requisites apply;

1) Only Thaivisa members with 10 or more posts prior to today, Thursday, 12 June 2008 will be permitted to attend. Anyone with less than 10 posts or those joining after today cannot be accomodated.

2) There will be laptop computers set up at the entrance and each member will simply need to log in successfully to Thaivisa. Upon successful log-in, a name tag will be issued on the spot and you are then free to meet and greet the "faces behind the avatars" as well as enjoy Buckwheat's famous BBQ ribs, salads and beer courtesy of Thaivisa.

3) Friendship Beach has generously offered significant discounts on their rooms at the actual party site.

The rooms must be booked by Thaivisa and cannot be booked individually.

Their normal rates can be found HERE

**Please contact Buckwheat via pm for room rate inquiries and bookings**

Due to space limitations and the anticipated number of attendees, children unfortunately are not permitted

We anticipate a large turnout so come out and meet your fellow members and enjoy free beer and food and

**Don't Forget Your Password**

Click on the address or here for a location map

post-13660-1213266860_thumb.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D:o I dont really understand the philosphy behind the requirement for 10 Posts before you allow entrance. Is this going to encourage "newbies" as you so politely call us to participate. What are you afraid of Balloon chasers!!! I am sure there must dozens of them spending hours just watching Thaivisas waiting for a free party, signing up and sending dozens of posts out so they can go along. I have been a member a few months now and have followed several sbjects with interest however I only have 8 posts. This is because I dont just send posts for the hel_l of it as there are plenty of people who are are saying the same thing as I would and have already posted there message, as a ressult I am not going to repeat.

Of course I could have missed the point altogether and not realised that Thaivisas is an exclusive club and one has to be the clique to be accepted.

Dissapointed.

You are cordially invited to another Thaivisa BBQ party to be held at

Friendship Beach Waterfront Resort Phuket

Sponsored in part by;

phuket.gif

donsfoods3.gif

tec.gif

The festivities will begin at 7pm on Saturday, 12 July 2008 at The Friendship Beach Resort

All Thaivisa members plus 1 guest are cordially invited and

there are no signups required to attend

Only the following pre-requisites apply;

1) Only Thaivisa members with 10 or more posts prior to today, Thursday, 12 June 2008 will be permitted to attend. Anyone with less than 10 posts or those joining after today cannot be accomodated.

2) There will be laptop computers set up at the entrance and each member will simply need to log in successfully to Thaivisa. Upon successful log-in, a name tag will be issued on the spot and you are then free to meet and greet the "faces behind the avatars" as well as enjoy Buckwheat's famous BBQ ribs, salads and beer courtesy of Thaivisa.

3) Friendship Beach has generously offered significant discounts on their rooms at the actual party site.

The rooms must be booked by Thaivisa and cannot be booked individually.

Their normal rates can be found HERE

**Please contact Buckwheat via pm for room rate inquiries and bookings**

Due to space limitations and the anticipated number of attendees, children unfortunately are not permitted

We anticipate a large turnout so come out and meet your fellow members and enjoy free beer and food and

**Don't Forget Your Password**

Click on the address or here for a location map

post-13660-1213266860_thumb.jpg

Anyone need accomadation www.smilehouseandpool.com 800baht for the night.

Just a reminder...

We still have several members who are undecided about booking at the actual party site, Friendship Beach.

Please try to let us know before the 6th of July so we can lock the rooms in.

We don't want Friendship Beach to turn away regular customers and have vacant rooms.

11 days and counting! :o:D:D:D

Just a brief background,

The FREE parties are provided as a way to thank our contributing members for making Thaivisa what it is today.

The idea is to be a contributing member, not making 11 posts in 1 day.

[/quote

i am new to thai visa (maybe 3-4 months) it is the most informative, instructional site for expats. its great!

are there any plans to have a bbq in pattaya? i have limited travel ability. but this type of function sounds like great fun.the first bbq was in chaing mai, now in phuket. its getting closer! thanks!

for all you people heading to the party tonight, i hope you all have a wonderful time. friendship beach is a great location and that, combined with the lovely Mr Wheats ribs will ensure a great foundation.

drive carefully everyone and have a drink for me!

Was ill with viral meningitis all week. Puked my guts out at work yesterday. All I could hope for was to be well enough to attend tonight. Lucky me! I now feel like a million bucks (well, maybe 900,000 baht at any rate). Good enough to stuff myself full of Buckwheat's BBQ tonight. Looking forward to it...

Just wanted to report in that the party at Friendship Beach last night was a lot of fun. The ribs were delectable (I truly made myself a pig on these), the corn-on-the-cob was succulent, and the potato salad -- nice surprise -- was the best I've had since coming to Thailand some two-and-a-half years ago. Odd that they actually had TOO MUCH of the free beer (not for lack of trying to polish it off on our part!).

It was great meeting Buckwheat, George, and the others as well as seeing Don once again.

Suggestions for improvement? None that I can think of, except perhaps have a few unattached women on standby (I've recently separated from my wife and didn't quite know what to do without the company of a beautiful woman by my side...). I doubt if I'll make it up to Chiang Mai for the next party but I'll definitely be to the next event here in Phuket!

Great party last night at Friendship Beach Waterfront Resort

A special thanks again to Dons Foods, Thailand Estates Corporation and GreatPhuket for making this party possible through their sponsorships.

Great to meet the new faces as well as the members we met at the last party here.

The final attendance figure was 62 which bettered the last party which was attended by 55.

Thanks to all who put this together as well as the Phuket members. See you at the next party!

In addition to the above I would like to make special mention of the work put in by such people as Buckwheat & George (and I suspect quite a few others working behind the scenes)

You efforts didn't go unnoticed and were appreciated by all of us who attended.

To all of you who played a part, thank you for a very special evening.

PS Sorry we couldn't drink all of the beer but some of us had to drive home.

PPS People are still talking about how good the ribs were.

... :o

..................... :D

Thanks to everyone at TV, notably George and Buckwheat, but also all of the others behind the scenes who made the party happen! We enjoyed fine weather, great food, and interesting company. George, it was a special pleasure to sit and talk with you for a while as you were fulfilling your duties as gracious host.

Edited by mfiskong

Mmm mmm, thanks buckwheat and George, the ribs, corn and salad were very tasty.  I got there late and there was still plenty of food to be had.  I think the last of the ribs were finished off around 10. Thanks to all the sponsors.

Improvments, changes?  More beer lao and more heineken :o .  

I tried to get around to some different tables to introduce myself, but didn't make it to all so that's too bad as I would have liked to have met everyone, so perhaps in the future if there was a meet and greet moment, that would be nice.  Maybe a mandatory boat race would be a good ice breaker.

Edited by steelepulse

Many thanks George, Buckwheat, Barry and the sponsors for the great evening! The spare ribs were excellent as usual and the salads and corn very tasty. Missed Donna so we had a drink for her. Great to see Max again (you and your Mrs too Gerd) and sorry that Mr and Mrs Sadman did not make it! It was also really nice seeing friends again and meeting other TV Members.

Msfikong wondered if that was you but when I noticed you sipping a beer thought I was mistaken. For some strange reason (why?) I thought that you did not imbibe so thought that you were a look alike. Apologies!

Much appreciated Guys! :o

Great party last night at Friendship Beach Waterfront Resort

Great ribs, ice cold Bier Laos, thank you to all who took the time to provide and to throw that together. Really nice evening.

A little subdued though, some live music and a greeting scenario might spice things up. When I rolled in everyone was seated at tables, not well lit, so I did not get to see many of the faces behind the Avatars.

Cheers,

HB

food was great!, i wish my missus could cook like that :o

so buckwheat, when is our interview we did going live?

only have one question, why was the first ticket pulled not the grand price like all raffles? only have to ask as you may know i was the first ticket drawn :D

tx

Boater, AKA one of the sponsors

Yes, very nice evening. Thanks everybody who put it together. (And paid for it)

Thanks Charlie too for all your work and always making sure everything runs smoothly.

Went there again this afternoon and met Charlie(Charles?) the Chef, nice bloke.

George, Buck, Barry not seen.........had a lonely Heineken.

Nice place for a cold beer on Sunday afternoon.

Gerd

Yes, very nice evening. Thanks everybody who put it together. (And paid for it)

Thanks Charlie too for all your work and always making sure everything runs smoothly.

Went there again this afternoon and met Charlie(Charles?) the Chef, nice bloke.

George, Buck, Barry not seen.........had a lonely Heineken.

Nice place for a cold beer on Sunday afternoon.

Gerd

i remember your dog, and your aviator suggest that it was you i meet

if there are puppys the same as your dog pm me

Thanks for a great effort George, Buckwheat, et al. A far better function than the one at the Ratri and the attendance restrictions also had the desired effect. I swear that those ribs just keep getting better and better! A pity to not catch-up with some of the other TV members... had to leave fairly early (driving).

Great job TV. (Tried to make a donation but it was refused.)

Interesting to read the above reports - maybe I went to a different party?

I have only been in Phuket a short time and don't know many people, so thought I would go to the TV party and see some of the people I read about regularly on the forum.

After driving around for an hour and a half I finally spotted the Freindship Resort as I drove past it - so did a u-turn and entered the small soi. I saw some lights wrapped around the trees but wasn't sure if that was the hotel in question or not so drove on - looking for a sign for the Friendship resort or even 'ThaiVisa Party- This way>>'

I eneded up at a dead end so had to reverse my car half a kilo back up the narrow soi.

I drove into the entrance with the tree lights and parked my car. I wandered around the car park looking for where the party was, but couldn't see/hear anything, until someone shone a torch and said "party" - so I went in that direction.

As per the invite scribblings - I looked for the notebook computers to 'log in' and gain entry as I knew that 'entrance was 'strictly limited'. I walked around the whole area but saw nothing - apart from a few spaced out tables with people sat in small seperate groups.

Nobody asked who I was or why am I here or even 'hello' and I didn't know where to sign in, where to get a name badge or where to even get a beer.

I made it to the bar and ordered a beer whilst I sat and watched to maybe get an idea of who the host was or what I was supposed to do to sign in or get a name badge.

There didn't seem to be any form of agenda or greeting area - although I did see an area where food was available - but without a name badge, though I had better not go helping myself as I didn't feel comfortable doing so.

After drinking my beer - I decided that I obviously didn't fit in to any of the small groups which were apparent and as I couldn't find any reception desk or log-in point or even anyone who seemed to be in charge - picked up my bar bill and left.

I drove an hour and a half from the North of the Island to make the effort to attend - and succeded in having one (paid for) beer and a seat by the bar alone for 20 minutes.

Before everyone starts saying - why didn't you go and talk to some of the groups to find out the score?

Well if I was sitting having a drink with my friends and a stranger started interupting the conversation - I wouldn't be too impressed.

Some people are quiet and reserved - hence the reason I ordered a quiet beer and sat trying to work out what the format was.

Why was there not a clear defined area for arrivees or someone to say hello to people who walked into the area and ask them to log in or even ask who they are and if not a Thai Visa member then why are they walking around the hotel anyway ??

Maybe next year some consideration can be made to the above points? Its all too easy when everyone knows everyone else - but as the invite was an open invite to everyone then surely when someone 'new' comes along - then at least somebody might say 'hello'. All I saw was individual groups chatting between themselves and some subdued music in the background. In all honesty if I hadn't seen the banner advertising 'Thai Visa Party' - I would really have thought I was in the wrong place.

Hopefully my comments are viewed as constructive rather than criticising and will help to improve things next time.