Paddock, Bangkok

Not often I dish out praise, but... Been up to Bangkok this week looking for some decent protective gear now that I have my new bike. I went to a number of different shops. By far the easiest to find and get to - and as it turns out the one that had everything I needed, in my size too, was Paddock. Now I am 6'7" and really thought I was going to struggle. But they found a great choice of Jackets, Trousers and even Boots for me to try on. Having a 30% sale at the moment too which helped keep the cost down.

I highly recommend it to any Farangs out there. Just pop on the MTR at Asok, head north to Huai Khwang and take exit 4. You can see it as you exit the escalator.

(I don't have a vested interest in this shop BTW moderators - just highly impressed)

Hi :o

I can second that - similar experience there, i found rain clothes in my size (6 foot 3 inch tall, 95 kilos) which are top notch quality. Unfortunately expensive as heck (9.000 Baht for the set including over-boots) compared to Europe where it would have cost me less than a quarter of that price.

BUT (there's always a "but", isn't there?) go there yourself, don't even try to get information over the phone from them! I was initially after a simple one-piece rain suit as common the world over - jacket/pants in one, usually with a long zipper to get in. Called them and asked the (English speaking!) lady for precisely such item, and was verified - "yes, we have it, 2.800 Baht". Good price i thought (still slightly obver Europe but hey, it's imported after all) so i went there.

And of course - they did NOT have it. I was offered a JACKET for 2.800 Baht, with the comment "it's one piece like you wanted!". After explaining what a "one piece suit" is, she told me then "no have, we call THIS a one-piece-suit".

After having spent an hour in traffic to get there i didn't want to leave without rain clothes, so i looked around, found something that was large enough, over-boots too, asked the price - and had a mild heart attack upon hearing it. However i still bought it, and since had plenty opportunity to test it - i guess i could go DIVING in that gear and would stay dry.

My aluminium rims are from that shop too, by the way, over a year ago i got those - again import stuff, "D.I.D." brand, 2.000 Baht a piece. But they were the only place selling aluminium spoke rims in 18 inch!

Also be careful in there - price labeling is done only to confuse people (or they tried to cheat me). A steering dampener, granted a good one, labeled 850 Baht. I have a cheapo one that did cost 250 Baht, so i thought 850 is about right, wanted to buy it - but no, the price is 2.990 Baht!

Just MY experiences :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

• 2 months later...

Probably the best for choice of stock I've found in Bangkok so far, but be careful when checking prices.

And watch out for that little bastard lap-dog that sleeps on the back counter. Tried to bite me when I got too close one time. I usually like dogs but I was a second away from snapping its neck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I visited the paddock yesterday. I walked past it a year ago and didn't think to pop in? I got half of the things I needed and was a little disappointed in their prices. The 350 baht motocross jerseys that are on sale are made in Thailand copies. If you had the time, you could find a shop in Pratunam selling them for 100 baht a peice. Given the time I had, I bought two of them to give as gifts and bought a real one for myself for 1,350 baht.

In the next couple of weeks, I'm off to dirtshop.com. Does anybody have any suggestions? I need an exhaust, hand guards and some other performance accessories.

@outside20,

You cannot compare illegal copies of shirts to originals. I have to say I'm not willing to pay 350 Bht for a motorcycle t-shirt, but than I'm maybe to old to wear Kawasaki, Honda or Yamaha t-shirts.

I have on the wall in the garage a Shoei helmet I bought in Vietnam. I also have the original, price difference 24,000 Bht. But I would never even think that the quality of safety and protection is even close to what the original offers. Although it looks good, but protection is probably less than a Thai made plastic bucket.

Sure for T-shirts you not have the safety issue, still wearing a fake is still a fake.

Got my race leathers from Paddock, numerous mesh jackets, gloves, tank bag and other odds and ends. After they get to know you they become quite friendly and it's a lot easier to get the prices down. Only one time did I have a problem with some gloves that fell apart the first time they got wet - I suspect they were fake, can't remember the brand. Anyway- it took a little prodding but finally they gave me a credit towards the purchase of new gloves, so all in all I've been quite happy with the Paddock.

Of course, they're not the only game in town. Got my HJC from Red Baron and my Alpinestar riding boots and track boots from Dirtshop. GP racing gloves from Pandarider.

Happy Trails!

Tony

For boots and gloves, I've found Paddock to be as cheap/good as anywhere - try to get it when it's "on special" - and for jackets and pants, I've found them more expensive - but again - if you time it right, it's not too bad. Most of my gear is from there.

Panda rider seems to offer decent gear at more reasonable prices - he often takes the piss out of other stores as he knows they are expensive - but stock is sometimes an issue as his store is much smaller than Paddock.

Edited by gragra

I'd say Paddock is the best for riding gear in BKK.

I've bought a mesh jacket and an MX shirt from Paddock.

They do have the best selection of "real" Western branded gear it seems, but beware on the helmets.

Many on the shelves are very old and probably not too safe now that the foam is old.

Always check the date of the helmet under the liner inside.

I saw they had a Shoei Hornet DS helmet a few months back.

They do have open face helmets.

Just note the jaw has the highest probability of contact in a crash.

If its exposed in a high speed wreck, I hope you like drinking through straws.

http://obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/beg...ges/impacts.gif

http://obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/beginner/helmets.html

Dirtshop has a decent selection too but they didn't budge much on their prices so I just ordered boots from the USA and saved 40% too.

Dirtshop carries Rizoma, the best billet accessories in the business IMO.

Edited by ttakata

Dirtshop has a decent selection too but they didn't budge much on their prices so I just ordered boots from the USA and saved 40% too.

Dirtshop carries Rizoma, the best billet accessories in the business IMO.

Yeah, Rizoma is classy stuff. Dirtshop carries some very nice items but they're hugely overpriced, often with at least 100% mark-up from internet prices. I buy most gear off the net with the exception of boots, gloves and helmets. Even with shipping costs and occasional customs duties (never use UPS or FedEx, only USPS), as you say, savings of 40% and over can be had from Thai prices.

As for the Paddock, they are good for boots. My Sidi's cost less than advertised on the net but I'm very suspicious of much of their stuff though and whether it could be Chinese knock-offs.

Although I like Paddock, recently I wanted a more durable mesh jacket.

The one I bought from them before was a great deal but it was just too hot.

So I went this week and they wanted 9000bht for some Kushitani mesh jacket with the fake leather peeling on it.

Then I went to Panda Rider the next day and they have a small but top shelf selection of Western riding gear and none of it is falling apart or super old.

I bought a Shift Avenger Mesh jacket on sale down from 9000bht to 7000bht and it seems as good if not superior to the Kushitani jacket at Paddock.

So you guys may want to check out Panda Rider too.

http://www.pandarider.com/

Edited by ttakata

A bit off topic but thought I'd let everyone know that there is a BIG sale at Red Baron right now- everything in their used parts warehouse (with the exception of the new clothing) is 50% off! (And the clothing is discounted too)

Got a super nice Alpinestars mesh jacket for the gf for only 3000 Baht. dam_n- it looks way nicer than my mesh jacket... Maybe going to have to go back there tomorrow to see if they have my size :)

And, despite Red Baron's reputation for high prices, I ordered some new OEM parts for my GSXR1000 and they were only slightly more expensive than the prices I found in the US.

Stripped her down after the long weekend ride to Chiang Mai and discovered a few parts that need replacing.

K6GixxerNekkidSm.jpg

The left side Ram air intake duct is badly cracked. Price from bikebandit in the US is $62.59 (~2000 Baht) plus shipping. Red Baron charged me 2200 Baht and said the part will arrive in 3 weeks. Not bad, not bad at all.

K6GixxerNekkid1Sm.jpg

Front brake master cylinder looks a bit aged- like been out in the sun a bit too long. Recalled that a while back Suzie and Kawi shared parts so while I was at Kawasaki today I eyeballed the master cylinder on the ZX10R and low and behold- they're a perfect match.

05SUGSXR1000024.gif

Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R front master cylinder:

FrontMasterCylinderZX10R.gif

Price from Kawasaki- only 235 Baht! :D (Same part is about $40.00 plus shipping from Bikebandit)

A lot of the fairing bolts and fasteners on the Gixxer are old and some broke when I tried to remove them so I'm replacing them with locally made Kawasaki fasteners. I wonder what other parts are interchangeable...

Anyway- anyone looking for used parts at very cheap prices- get yourself over to Red Baron before their sale ends on the 30th. And anyone looking for parts for their Suzuki- it's worth checking to see if locally available Kawasaki parts will work.

Ride On!

Tony