Mortgage With A Thai Partner

My girlfriend will be returning to Thailand after finishing her degree here in the UK. She informs me that she will have to return to work in Thailand for 6 months to stand a chance of being accepted for a mortgage.

I intend to move out there with her as soon as she is granted a mortgage, my problem is that i'm not sure of the procedure i should follow with regards to me living with her???

I would like to apply for a mortage myself BUT i doubt i can do that straight away in bkk, so i'll help my gf to pay HER mortgage.

Can i draw up some sort of legal agreement to split the house if we were to ever part, or put my name down on the mortgage that will already be in her name???

Thanks for any help, karl :o

My girlfriend will be returning to Thailand after finishing her degree here in the UK. She informs me that she will have to return to work in Thailand for 6 months to stand a chance of being accepted for a mortgage.

I intend to move out there with her as soon as she is granted a mortgage, my problem is that i'm not sure of the procedure i should follow with regards to me living with her???

I would like to apply for a mortage myself BUT i doubt i can do that straight away in bkk, so i'll help my gf to pay HER mortgage.

Can i draw up some sort of legal agreement to split the house if we were to ever part, or put my name down on the mortgage that will already be in her name???

Thanks for any help, karl :o

Unlikely you will get a mortgage, and if you do it is even more likely to be only for a condo with foreign freehold title. You cannot really buy a house and protect your interests easily as you can never own the land, so any legal document would be pretty worthless in court. You can own the house in your name and the land in her name but even then, if you split she can demand silly rent rates on the land and more or less force you out, or even worse in the cases that have truly happened demand you move the house building structure of her land.

If you buy a condo and she has the mortgage in her name it will be up to her if she is prepared to allow you to have your name on the documents, but either way you will have to ensure you buy a condo with foreign freehold title, NOT simply freehold.