Thai Girlfriend Pregnant In Australia

jazztech

hi all my girlfriend is here with me here in oz all the signs are that she could be pregnant we are both happy about this, but were do we stand as far as hospitals doctors ect i have looked into private cover but the all are 12 months waiting period involved. she is on a visitors visa and have been together for 8 months so to early to apply for a fiancee visa any idea we are not after a free ride but are concerned about how we stand?

neil & kaew

Your not going to get a MediCare card until she gets Temporary Residency (a two year cooling off period to Permanent Residency). I'm guessing she would have a maximum stay of 6 months on her current visa so depending on your financial situation I think I would be planning a trip back to Thailand when the visa expires and stay for the latter stages of pregnency and birth.

Good luck.

My Wife was on a Tourist Visa last year, We were in the process of getting all the paper work together for the Visa when the young fella decided to come 7 weeks early.

The Wife was only in for 2 Days a Bill for $2500. The Hospital tried to get he to sign to say I will pay for the baby as well. I spoke to Medicare the day after he was born informed he will be covered by medicare. They still sent out the bill for $13000 for 10 Days.

I looked in to getting cover all were 12 months.

Soon as you apply for the visa you can go to Medicare with the receipt, the letter to say her application has been received and her passport. She will get a Medicare Card.

Good Luck. It is only money as long as they both in good health. Or is it Twins :o

Thanks for all your replys dcasper $130000 sounds a lot did you have to pay it? also with the fiancee visa as soon as you apply you get medicare cover? that could be the way to go. We have a little while to decide what to do will keep you all informed thanks again neil & kaew ps dcasper were are you in perth as we are in perth also

• 4 weeks later...

Just for your info childbirth at a medium private hospital in Bangkok costs around 20,000-30,000 baht depending on what you want/need. Excellent option if you don't qualify for health cover in Oz. Your GF will be able to be near her family too.