Just Had An Accident With A Motorcycle

Jimmyd

As I've seen interest here about what happens when you have an accident in Thailand, I thought I'd write about what happened to me today.

I was driving and passed my turn--it came up quicker than I expected. I tried to quickly turn, and hit a motorbike. Most likely it was my fault, though usually I'm aware of thing around me and I have no idea how the motorbike came up on me so quick.

The riders were hurt, but not badly, so my wife and I took them to be treated. Along the way we dropped off the motorcycle to a mechanic (at the driver's insistence--I wanted to get to a medical facility as quickly as possible, but was not going to strongarm anyone), and went to the hospital. After dropping off the motorbike, the driver and rider got in my car and we took them to the hospital, where I paid for their medical treatment. Afterwards, (treatment took about an hour or less), we asked what other expenses we should take care of, and the rider mentioned the amount the mechanic had mentioned. We gave this amount and some more to cover any unexpected expenses that might arise.

I am posting this because I thought this information might be informative for some expats in Thailand. If the motorcycle riders had been unreasonable, I would have just asked my insurance company to take care of things, but it never came up.

Guest Reimar
As I've seen interest here about what happens when you have an accident in Thailand, I thought I'd write about what happened to me today.

I was driving and passed my turn--it came up quicker than I expected. I tried to quickly turn, and hit a motorbike. Most likely it was my fault, though usually I'm aware of thing around me and I have no idea how the motorbike came up on me so quick.

The riders were hurt, but not badly, so my wife and I took them to be treated. Along the way we dropped off the motorcycle to a mechanic (at the driver's insistence--I wanted to get to a medical facility as quickly as possible, but was not going to strongarm anyone), and went to the hospital. After dropping off the motorbike, the driver and rider got in my car and we took them to the hospital, where I paid for their medical treatment. Afterwards, (treatment took about an hour or less), we asked what other expenses we should take care of, and the rider mentioned the amount the mechanic had mentioned. We gave this amount and some more to cover any unexpected expenses that might arise.

I am posting this because I thought this information might be informative for some expats in Thailand. If the motorcycle riders had been unreasonable, I would have just asked my insurance company to take care of things, but it never came up.

May it's depends where the accidents was happens. If in some Tourist frequented area I believe it wouldn't be that easy! And would cost you a lot more as well.

You really had luck I believe.

Cheers.

I had a motorcycle accident last year, I was the one driving the motorcycle. A pickup truck turned into a Shell station, without directional light, and without bothering to look, while I was trailing in the bike lane. Next thing I remember was standing in front of an ambulance while two guys were handing me my $500 wristwatch (both pins holding the band were broken). I paid my own expenses, about 2000 baht for X-rays and medicine, another 3500 to fix my bike. However, I was grateful to discover at the hospital that someone had placed the ignition key in my pants pocket. Very satisfied just to get all my stuff back. No broken bones, but missed a few days of work.

did you not have insurance then?