Urologist Recommendations

balo

I have a problem with pain in one of my testicles and would like to see an urologist during my 2 months stay in Thailand.

I would appreciate any help to find the right hospital, in Bangkok or the Pattaya area.

And what about the prices , what can I expect?

Thanks

The following 2 urologists have been used by several TV members are come well recommended by them:

Dr Thanoo Choovichian at Samitivej

Dr. Viroj Chodchoy at Bumrungrad

I'm going to pin this as a notice since the question gets asked fairly often. If any members have additional doctors they woukld liek to recommend, please add.

• Like 1

The following 2 urologists have been used by several TV members are come well recommended by them:

I'm going to pin this as a notice since the question gets asked fairly often. If any members have additional doctors they woukld liek to recommend, please add.

Thanks I will try one of the recommended doctors.

Where is the Samitivej hospital location in Bangkok?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see Dr. Thanoo yesterday. My pain in the testicles was caused by an bacterial infection .

So he gave me this medication, Danzen 500Mg and Amoxil 500Mg and told me to come back in one week.

I have nothing to complain about , he was a very nice person and the hospital was one of the best I've seen.

The only problem was that I was charged 892 Baht for the medication. When I asked in my local pharmacy the price was only 320 Baht so they charged me more than 500 Baht more for the same tablets.

892 Baht was for the medication only.

I was charged 2015 Baht in total incl. the medication.

Lab and Urine test 223 bht, Nursing charge 100 bht, Other medical charges 200 bht

And the doctor was 600 Baht.

IF that was the only charge,wasnt too bad was it.So 500 baht for the doc to check you.

I went to see Dr. Thanoo yesterday. My pain in the testicles was caused by an bacterial infection .

So he gave me this medication, Danzen 500Mg and Amoxil 500Mg and told me to come back in one week.

I have nothing to complain about , he was a very nice person and the hospital was one of the best I've seen.

The only problem was that I was charged 892 Baht for the medication. When I asked in my local pharmacy the price was only 320 Baht so they charged me more than 500 Baht more for the same tablets.

Pleased you found out the possible cause.

Look on the bright side, it could have been double ( Assuming you have the standard 2 ) :D:D

On a serious note, you do not mention a urine test ???

If this is the case, i,m not sure how it can be ascertained that it,s down soley to a bacterial infection ????

marshbags :o

MB, see post above yours, there was a urine test

Overcharging for medications is widespread in all the Thai hospitals and it is always better, assuming your presecription is not for a controlled substance or very new drug something otherwise not available over the counter, to buy medications yourself at an outside pharmacy. Need to tell the doctor at the outset that you plan to do this. Or if you forget, then at the pharamcy ciounter tell them you don't want the meds (after seeing what they are and dosage). But this will create delays as they'll have to redo the billing.

Overcharging for medications is widespread in all the Thai hospitals and it is always better, assuming your presecription is not for a controlled substance or very new drug something otherwise not available over the counter, to buy medications yourself at an outside pharmacy. Need to tell the doctor at the outset that you plan to do this. Or if you forget, then at the pharamcy ciounter tell them you don't want the meds (after seeing what they are and dosage). But this will create delays as they'll have to redo the billing.

Missed the last post, taking everything into account i reckon the charges where more than reasonable.

No complaints in this neck of the woods as the doctors fee in my case for a urine infection was 100 baht.

Edited by marshbags

Missed the last post, taking everything into account i reckon the charges where more than reasonable.

No complaints in this neck of the woods as the doctors fee in my case for a urine infection was 100 baht.

marshbags :D

The customary smiley :o as in Oh dear, dropped another ?????? after the Missed the last post, hasn,t registered, while it may not matter, i feel it may come across as possibly arrogant rather than the opposite.

Thanks for everyones understanding on why i,ve posted this.

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

Sheryl, it is always best to buy them yourself unless covered by medical insurance. In this scenario, if you buy them yourself you get questioned by the insurance company whether you should have bought them (doctor's handwriting is often not legible on the doctor's certificate). If the hospital provides the medications while you are claiming for the visit, insurance companies easily understand that they are the correct medications. I know this seems unreasonable and only drives up the cost to the insurance company and ultimately our premiums, but unfortunately this is the way it works.

• 4 weeks later...

Which urologist and which hospital? I live in Pattaya and would rather see one here. I'd prefer NOT to got to Ban gkok-Pattaya Hospital, because while they're competent, they overcharge significantly. The reasons? The hospital lobby looks like a hotel, with the staff wearing designer uniforms and because they use 4 doctors to do what 1 does in the states. I know; I went there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi some bad news :o

I'm back in Europe and in the hospital they did an ultrasound check and they have found cancer in my left testicle.

They will remove it next week and then they will check to see if the cancer have spread .

I have lost weight and feel tired now so I fear the worst.

Back in June I believed Dr Thanoo , I was 100% sure it was a bacterial infection.

I just hope its not to late .

where does the notice get pinned as this is valueable info

I learned the over charging hard way at both hospitals so every one should read and heed the advice. It's worth much

• 1 month later...

Friend a few weeks ago was circling the drain after the insertion of a catheter into his bladder. Reason the nurse used a tube of KY, that was on it's last legs, can you imagine the bacteria ? so he contracted klebscaemia.

They probably charged him for a new one as well.

So watch for this.

Edited by desertrat