3g Internet Access In Los

OlRedEyes

Been in South Africa the past 5 months, soon to return to Samui...

While here I have been using a 3G HSDPA modem on my laptop. Heaven :o

What is the status currently in Thailand with this service? Is it available, how good/bad is it. Coverage and providers? Don't really want to go back to ADSL again....

Only in Chiang Mai on a limited base.

AIS have 30 stations upgraded to HSDPA, but most probably your card won't work, since AIS is on the 900 Mhz band, which very little devices support.

AIS sells I think 3 devices supporting the 900 MHz band (1 phone, a PDA and a USB modem I think).

Both AIS and Dtac are standing by awaiting approval to import and install ore equipment nationwide.

Dtac will be on the much more widely used 850 MHz frequency band.

Been in South Africa the past 5 months, soon to return to Samui...

While here I have been using a 3G HSDPA modem on my laptop. Heaven :o

What is the status currently in Thailand with this service? Is it available, how good/bad is it. Coverage and providers? Don't really want to go back to ADSL again....

As far as I know HSDPA data service is not yet available in Thailand so far. Please corect me if I am wrong.

But anyway 3G is already working in Thailand!

CAT CDMA is a 3G network. Although it is using the CDMA2000 1x EV-DO technology which is not compatible with GSM.

The CAT CDMA network coverage is very good.

I was using an EV-DO modem (Sierra Wireless Aircard) in the CAT CDMA network in Udon Thani and Nongkhai.

This EV-DO modem can achieve data download speed of 2.4 Mbps.

Please see the screenshot of the speed test I have done in Udon Thani (North East of Thailand).

Wireless-Internet-Speed.jpg

Edited by Barin

Are you sure? It seems to me that only about 5% of Thailand is covered according to that link.

Well, according to the CAT CDMA network coverage map which is a bit hypothetical it looks as if 100% of the whole Thailand is covered, they have roaming with Hutch CDMA network in Bangkok and central Thailand including Pattaya.

As far as I know CAT CDMA EV-DO 2.4 Mbps data service is working in Samui and Phuket too.

Edited by Barin

Are you sure? It seems to me that only about 5% of Thailand is covered according to that link.

Well, according to the CAT CDMA network coverage map which is a bit hypothetical it looks as if 100% of the whole Thailand is covered, they have roaming with Hutch CDMA network in Bangkok and central Thailand including Pattaya.

As far as I know CAT CDMA is working very well in Samui and Phuket too.

Ah, they need to adding a loading image to that SWF as I thought it was done once it appeared. Apparently not. Just went back and let it load for a couple of minutes and can now see everything. Looks good, I'll have to check it out. Wish the site had an English version.

Do you know the cost? Modem & monthly.

I paid approx. 5800 bht here for the 3G 3.6mbps modem.

There is no timeframe in place for rolling out hsdpa i'd imagine.... Stupid question, that would imply planning....

Edited by OlRedEyes

• 1 year later...

HSDPA is currently in the test stage in parts of the Sukhumvit corridor and certain other areas in BKK. I'm getting 3G, but the signal is a bit weak (-90dBm) about 40 kBs. Stay tuned, because 2010 may see Thailand finally start to provide at least marginal mobile data service. :)

The telecom commission came up with reserve prices and plan for the frequency auction last week and were confident they will get approval and agreement on it soon and that the auction is still taking place this year which means commercial launch dates late next year.

However i would not hold my breath as this is not the first they try. Only way i see is if the PM starts really pushing it and manages to override all those wanting the piece of the auction pie. But we shall see at the end of the year if it is going to happen this time around.