Houses Near Beach For Sale In Hua Hin

dude123

Hi, I'm fairly new here. After much confusion, I think I want to settle in or around Hua Hin. It looks like a lovely area of Thailand, clean, low crime and so on. Are there any reasonable price housing projects boarding the beach of within a short walk to the beach where a farang like me will not feel lost? I'm trying to convince my brother to buy there as well, but he has never been to Thailand and thinks he will feel completely lost not being able to speak the language. My wife is Thai, so I think I have it easier.

Edited by dude123

There's crime everywhere.

That said, HH is a safe place except for loudmouth brain-dead drunks who look for trouble and find it easily enough.

You can get a condo walking distance from the beach but a single house will be quite expensive.

Best to come on holiday and look around.

That said, HH is a safe place except for loudmouth brain-dead drunks who look for trouble and find it easily enough.

You can get a condo walking distance from the beach but a single house will be quite expensive.

We have loud mouth brain dead drunks here too LOL. They are a indiginous to every country in the world!

I'm beginning to think that is the best idea, to just come for an extended holiday and have a real good look around there and a little north and south of there. Thanks for the feedback.

Depending on your lifestyle you may like Cha Am even better. Not as busy, very nice beach and a bit slower pace. If you are looking for night life then you would probably prefer HH.

I agree spend some time looking around. It may take a little time to decide what area you would prefer to live. Cha Am is typically a bit less expensive.

Good luck in your search. We find it to be a pleasant place to live.

We have loud mouth brain dead drunks here too LOL. They are a indiginous to every country in the world!

I'm beginning to think that is the best idea, to just come for an extended holiday and have a real good look around there and a little north and south of there. Thanks for the feedback.

For sure, and trouble/crime is often close behind them.

Hi, your initial post sounds ambitious, if you want beachfront property at 'a reasonable price.' By housing project, do you mean a condo? Easy enough to buy new, but are there any new high rise condos recently? Ownership legal issues can be a problem if you are not married to a Thai. But HHin is a lovely place.

Depending on your lifestyle you may like Cha Am even better. Not as busy, very nice beach and a bit slower pace. If you are looking for night life then you would probably prefer HH.

I agree spend some time looking around. It may take a little time to decide what area you would prefer to live. Cha Am is typically a bit less expensive.

Good luck in your search. We find it to be a pleasant place to live.

Thanks, my wife said the same thing, that Cha Am may be much better for me. I like the slower place too. Looking very forward to live in Thailand. I hope I don't have a false illusion about the country, but my wife is Thai and a real sweetheart.

Johnnyk: We have the same things here in Canada. The louder they are the harder they fall, and they are always bewildered as to why they always get into trouble. I've only been to Thailand 2 weeks myself in Bangkok, but by and large the Thai people seem very polite overall.

Peaceblondie: Yes I know, always hoping for a good deal :o I don't mind going a little north of south to a quieter area within walking distance to a beach. I am married for 4 years now to a Thai lady, so no problem there I think. I did notice that Thailand did revoke their law about owning a company to own land for foreigner as so many just use shell companies. I also read that if we buy a house and want to own the land and put it all in my wifes name, that the new law states that she must sign documents stating that it is really her money and that I have no right to the land whatsoever. It is kind of confusing to me the whole thing as if one day I outlive her, I was wondering what would happen to the house? I'm not bothered much though, but it is a little confusing still. She is on holidays right now in Thailand for a month and has been looking around for me and she liked Mae Rampheung Beach in Rayong, but after more looking, it seems the beach can be quite dirty there with no one cleaning it up, so that is why I thought about HH or around there.

Edited by dude123

Dude123

We originally were going to build a house but chickened out for two major reasons. One was ownership laws (although my wife is farang also) which make it very difficult being comfortable setting up a company or the 30 year lease. The second reason was the problems experienced in the area with the builders quality of work and completing a job.

We ended up buying a condo on the beach. Did not think I would like living in a condo but after being here for a while I really enjoy it. You might want to entertain the idea of a condo rather than a house. No ownership issue and it is easier to find a prime location than in a house. There is nothing between us and the beach but the pool. I frequently walk for two to three hours on the beach and find it very enjoyable and relaxing. Not to mention a good form of exercise.

Good Luck whichever way you choose.

Dude123

We originally were going to build a house but chickened out for two major reasons. One was ownership laws (although my wife is farang also) which make it very difficult being comfortable setting up a company or the 30 year lease. The second reason was the problems experienced in the area with the builders quality of work and completing a job.

We ended up buying a condo on the beach. Did not think I would like living in a condo but after being here for a while I really enjoy it. You might want to entertain the idea of a condo rather than a house. No ownership issue and it is easier to find a prime location than in a house. There is nothing between us and the beach but the pool. I frequently walk for two to three hours on the beach and find it very enjoyable and relaxing. Not to mention a good form of exercise.

Good Luck whichever way you choose.

I thought about a condo a lot, but my wife is pushing the house idea. You have given me food for thought again and I will visit many condos with my wife and explain to her the benifits of living "on" the beach and being able to walk there each and every day. I lived several years in Florida on the beach and there is just nothing like it. Thanks for the thoughs and looking very forward to move to Thailand.

Dude -

1) How old are you.....coming on a retirement Visa or otherwise?

2) Do you play golf....if so, Cha Am/Hua Hin are a fabulous place to retire

3) If you outlive your spouse she could bequeath the property to you and you would have a year to divest upon the unlikely event you outlive her. We have a friend here whose wife died and the process can be extended by quite awhile if you have a good attorney; his is in Bangkok. Condos can be purchased (as was ours and Never Been There's) and the title held by a farang....in which case you would avoid the above.

You can also have your wife bequeath your property to a trusted family member who could take care of it in your behalf or sell it for you....however from personal experience you should have a 100% certainty you can trust even the most likely of potential trustees.

4) Assuming your house and car are paid for and you have no children, living as you do now would probably cost you in the neighborhood of 60,000 bht a month, about half of that for food and religious stuff as your wife is Thai. That wouldn't include much entertainment, or travel.

Good luck!

Dude,

If you outlive your wife you have options to protect your interests.

Yes you sign to say the money used to purchase is all hers and that makes it her personal property under law and NOT part of the joint marital assets. Lawyers say though that in divorce here the judge does take it into consideration and split it between foreigner and wife. That can't be relied on obviously.

Options:

1) She leaves it to you in her will and you can the sell it. Make sure you do a will otherwise under law it goes to family members, even Aunts and Uncles before a spouse (Foreign or Thai spouse).

2) She leaves it to you and you put it in a Thais name who gives you a 30 year lease

3) Ditto lifetime Usufruct (part of Thai law) see article from lawyer in the real estate section of this forum.

You can/should (in case of divorce) register a lease or Usufruct from day 1, these agreements automatically fall onto any new landowner, say your wife sold land or left it to her sister in her will. You have no right to make her 'will' it to you.

Theres other options, seea good lawyer.

Many foreigners have lost property by not protecting themselves in the event the relationship breaks down.

Good luck and apologies for negative talk about divorce etc, but needs to be considered.

Burgernev

Edited by Burgernev

Hi,

I'm 48 and ready to retire. As far as visas go, I did some reasearch and think just to get a tourist

visa and have a certain amount of money in a Thai bank is the easiest according to this forum and I

can just renewing it.

I don't play golf, just love to watch in on TV! Just looking forward to a peaceful area near the beach

where the locals don't mind farangs. Just walking every day on the beach is my idea of a good time at the moment.

60,000 baht a month is fine for me, but what surprises me a littel is that is pretty much the same needed in Canada to retire and I was always under the impression Thailand was much cheaper than here.

The property thing is a little confusing to me, so I was thinking to just get a house and lease the land

of the Government becasue doubtfull that I will still be alive 30 years from now any LOL! THanks for all that info though and will talk to my wife about it and tell her all that so we can decide together. Too bad Thailand doesn't want faranges owning land. One would think this world would have evolved more than that.

Cheers.

Dude -

1) How old are you.....coming on a retirement Visa or otherwise?

2) Do you play golf....if so, Cha Am/Hua Hin are a fabulous place to retire

3) If you outlive your spouse she could bequeath the property to you and you would have a year to divest upon the unlikely event you outlive her. We have a friend here whose wife died and the process can be extended by quite awhile if you have a good attorney; his is in Bangkok. Condos can be purchased (as was ours and Never Been There's) and the title held by a farang....in which case you would avoid the above.

You can also have your wife bequeath your property to a trusted family member who could take care of it in your behalf or sell it for you....however from personal experience you should have a 100% certainty you can trust even the most likely of potential trustees.

4) Assuming your house and car are paid for and you have no children, living as you do now would probably cost you in the neighborhood of 60,000 bht a month, about half of that for food and religious stuff as your wife is Thai. That wouldn't include much entertainment, or travel.

Good luck!

Hi again Dude,

You can't live here on a tourist visa anymore, you need a non-immigrant visa, you can get one easy based on supporting a Thai, your wife. When you're 50 you can get the retirement visa.

I've never really heard of leasing land off government, but you're better off leasing it off your wife, then at the end of your time its a nice asset to give her security for the rest of her life.

Best thing is don't rush into anything, come and rent for 6-12 months, see where you want to live and that gives you time to get up to speed on ownership options.

Cheers

Edited by Burgernev

Hey Burgernev,

Good to know, thanks, so I guess it is a non immigrant visa then. I missunderstood the leasing thing of the land. Ok, understand now how to approach this as I thought they meant we needed to lease the land of the Thai government as farangs. Right now she has security as I have her name joint with me on our house in Canada. If I suddenly kick the bucket, house is automatically hers with no tax or inheritance fees to pay.

Cheers

Hi again Dude,

You can't live here on a tourist visa anymore, you need a non-immigrant visa, you can get one easy based on supporting a Thai, your wife. When you're 50 you can get the retirement visa.

I've never really heard of leasing land off government, but you're better off leasing it off your wife, then at the end of your time its a nice asset to give her security for the rest of her life.

Best thing is don't rush into anything, come and rent for 6-12 months, see where you want to live and that gives you time to get up to speed on ownership options.

Cheers

Johnnyk: We have the same things here in Canada. The louder they are the harder they fall, and they are always bewildered as to why they always get into trouble. I've only been to Thailand 2 weeks myself in Bangkok, but by and large the Thai people seem very polite overall.

I know. Look at my avatar.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dude123

My Thai (now wife) and I have been back and forth looking for a few years with the same desire as you, something near the beach. She's from near the Cha Am area, but her property is too far inland for my tastes.

We've started venturing further south as some mentioned, including all the way to Chumphon and really like some of the areas there. The money goes a lot farther for sure!

It is more remote so not as many choices for food, drink, etc but we aren't big on going out alot so suits us fine.

Bang Saphan is another mid point we liked

You can buy nice big 3 bedroom house with 2 ensuite bathroom. Air con & full Euoropean kitchen with marble 1,000 square meters of lanscaped garden 400 meters from the beach in Cha am for 4.3 million baht. My friend have all Chanote clean & very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dude -

Hadn't checked back on this for a while and see you're getting a lot of good information. Yes, 60K Baht seems like a lot but when you consider everything it only works out to about 2,000 U.S. dollars a month.....and we sure couldn't live in California on that. Our property taxes for the 2,000 sq ft house we still own in Ca. is almost $6,000 a year now and our last electric bill (July 2006) was almost $600....admittedly a very hot month but still, I only pay about $23 a month here....In the 60K Baht I tried to include ALL of your potential expenses like insurance, travel to visit family, entertainment etc. I've tracked ours for the past four months or so and that number is just about right on the money....and it's just two of us.

One thing none of us has really touched on is your age and the exchange rates. You should keep in mind that over time your expenses are going up with inflation and a retirement or other fixed income will decrease in relative value......so until you're in your mid seventies you can expect to be active (probably) and having a consistent living pattern that includes some activities and travel. Travel back and forth to Canada and the U.S. isn't getting any cheaper with the oil prices going up and it has already curtailed some of our travel plans.

As for the exchange rate, when I first came to Thailand in 1988 it was (U.S. Dollars) 26-1; when I decided to move here in 2005 it was 44-1; now it is 33-1......as you can see there is as much as a 25% differential just from 2005 to 2008, so be prepared for those kinds of fluctuations.

Good luck and we hope you will enjoy Cha Am enough to stay around here....we can always use some good neighbors.

TGIR, thanks! I have not been around either for a little while too and just got online here a few days ago again. You're right, 60,000 baht for 2 people is reasonable the more I think of it. Over here I would pay much more if I figured everything in and the weather here already broke again in July still arrrgh! At least we got our 2 weeks of warm weather though :o

We are really excited to give it a try and see how it goes. Might even learn to play a little golf too for fun. Thanks very much for taking time to reply!

Bang Saphan is another mid point we liked

Before you get too set on Bangsaphan, consider what the new steel smelter, expanded steel rolling mill and expanded port will do to that area.

The beach area of Bangsaphan (Baan Chai Talay) is already too dirty for swimming.

It's really a shame because that is a terrific area with outstanding beaches. I lived there (Ban Krud, Don Samran) for 3 years.

That is where I wanted to buy a house that someone found for me :o Nobody told us about

a steel factory in the works?

There is already a large steel rolling mill .. employs about 2,500. Lots of heavy truck traffic. The new smelter is being built on some questionable land .. mangroves? .. nearby. There have been protests by the locals and one Environmental P.S. blocked the project, but he retired last year .. and money talks.

That is where I wanted to buy a house that someone found for me :o Nobody told us about

a steel factory in the works?

There is already a large steel rolling mill .. employs about 2,500. Lots of heavy truck traffic. The new smelter is being built on some questionable land .. mangroves? .. nearby. There have been protests by the locals and one Environmental P.S. blocked the project, but he retired last year .. and money talks.

Alarming news to me! I went on a relatives advise for that area. Thanks for the heads up on that area and I'll go myself and look around before losing too much money there.