Electronic Cigarette (e-cigarette) In Chiang Mai

jobje3

It is a really interesting alternative for the real thing... I read some reviews from people in Europe who've been using the "e-cigarette" and they are very happy with it. It is an "healthy" alternative as it contains no tobacco and carcinogens.

Hope we can get them in Thailand soon...

I saw you can get them from abroad (for example from China: http://minicigarette.net/electronic-cigare...ion-2-p-9.html) for 60 bucks excluding shipping costs (24 dollar)

hmm i might give it a try..

Edited by jobje3

Does look interesting. However it appears the Thai government is suspicious of it. MCOT English News :D

...and you know why :D

BANGKOK, June 13 (TNA) – Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsab ordered a study on information of electronic cigarettes to find measures to prevent importing e-cigarettes to Thailand because existing law doesn't cover the new product.

There is no nicotine they can't charge duty on them! :o

The e- cigarette consists of a cartridge, an atomizer, and a rechargeable battery. It doesn't contain tobacco but it has nicotine, propylene glycol, a chemical used in a fog machine, and fruity taste. Each cartridge is the equivalent of 15 conventional cigarettes.

Severe loss of revenue!!

• 2 weeks later...

Healthy & Modern Way of Smoking - RUYAN Atomizing Electronic Cigarette

Please log in for more information, Thank you!

:o

{snipped per forum rules; PM member for info}

Edited by mcgriffith
URL's not allowed per forum rules

As one fiendishly addicted (and with a long proud family history of cancer) I too am keenly interested in this product! I wish anyone who has tried it could fill us in? Does it "satisfy"? Cost? Any and all info will be pored over repeatedly by me...

• 1 month later...
Does look interesting. However it appears the Thai government is suspicious of it. MCOT English News :D

BANGKOK, June 13 (TNA) – Public Health Minister Chaiya Sasomsab ordered a study on information of electronic cigarettes to find measures to prevent importing e-cigarettes to Thailand because existing law doesn't cover the new product.

The e- cigarette consists of a cartridge, an atomizer, and a rechargeable battery. It doesn't contain tobacco but it has nicotine, propylene glycol, a chemical used in a fog machine, and fruity taste. Each cartridge is the equivalent of 15 conventional cigarettes.

Severe loss of revenue!!

Has anyone any other notions as to why Thailand is trying to restrict the sale of Electronic cigarettes? The Newspaper called "The Nation" recently had an article that warned against the use of these devices citing a study made by a Mahidol University dental school researcher called Dr Varanant Buejeap. In ti it explains that the study revealed that:

Using electronic cigarettes to quit smoking is hazardous to your health and nervous system. They cram too much nicotine into your blood. Mahidol University dental school researcher Dr Varanant Buejeap says electronic cigarettes contain nicotine and 28 carcinogenic substances, such as alkaloida, which releases substances that have amphetaminelike effects.What could happen

This increases blood pressure and lipids in blood vessels. This makes the heart work harder and can lead to heart failure and sexual dysfunction.

She said nicotine released by the electronic cigarette is absorbed into blood vessels faster than regular cigarettes and will stay in the body longer than nicotine chewing gum.

So, the electronic cigarette is not recommended as a tool to quit smoking.

"It is better to just stop smoking or do not smoke an electronic cigarette if you are using nicotine gum. They will not help much. Instead it will cause lung, liver and mouth cancers," she said.

But the article does not link to the study directly and all mails to the staff at the univeristy have gone unanswered. The study itself appears to contain false egrigious information about the dangers of "e-smoking" In the article also, you will notice that it pormotes the use of nicotine-gum as a safe alternative. Now I know that a professor in thailand named Yongyuth Tundulawessa has coppy-writed his own nicotine gum called nicomild-2 and is the gum that is marketed to thai people. does anyone think there is a connection? has anyone ever heard of Dr Varanant Buejeap? her name is not listed anywhere outside of the nations's article.

Has anyone ran into difficulty trying to buy an electronic cigarette?

All help would be appreciated, thanks.

here is the article by the nation http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/08/25...al_30081338.php

Edited by smallchange

• 3 months later...

Don't know about these gismos but when i went back to the UK this year i paid a visit to the Dr and got a perscription for the Nicotinell patches she also gave me a perscription for nicorette inhalators, they worked realy well, just like taking a hit of a cigarette , they release a form of nicotine substitute that i believe no adverse reports have been written ( I may be wrong) But the BMA seas fit to perscribe them.. and they are really very effective, they are half the price apposed to UK Chemist prices when bought with a Dr perscription, but i don't know if they are available in Thailand just google nicorette inhilators to find out more.

I just quit last week.

Of course it was easy; no gum, e cig, patches, etc.

I have a severe case of bronchial pneumonia.

I'm already coughing my lungs out 24/7- haven't slept much last 2 weeks.

The very idea of lighting up a cigarette and smoking it, right now.....I would cough so hard that I would be turned inside out. :o

I'm done.

Rasseru, you can have all the kretek I scored from Blinky. :D

Anything that can help a smoker quit can only be a good thing. I tried to stop on will power alone after years of chain smoking, but I just got so irritable that I always lit up again after just 2 or 3 days of going off my rocker. I eventually gave the nicotine patches a go and although they did nothing to replace the habit of a life time, they did heaps to take away that awful physical craving. It was this craving every time which saw me fail on so many previous attempts.

I’ve never become one of those self-righteous ex smokers who are more of a pain in the arse than those who have never smoked. You know who I mean, we’ve all met them. They are the ones who forgot how they used to say things like: ‘Is it alright if I smoke in your car?, or, ‘You don’t mind if I smoke in your house, do you?’. They seem to have forgotten the days when they too were addicted to nicotine. Be mindful of this if you quit, because the holier-than-thou BS that comes from the lips of some reformed smokers could make you a real bore to your still smoking family members, friends, and work colleagues.

After 10 years of quitting I still love the smell of a freshly lit cigarette. The fleeting thought of enjoying a cigarette enters my mind at least a couple of times daily, but not to the point where I’m even near to lighting up again. And this from someone who coughed and spat all day and all night long for donkey’s years.

Good luck to anyone trying to quit. It can be done if you really want cessation badly enough. You’ll start to feel the benefits of not smoking within 24/48 hours, but if you’ve been smoking for a good while, I would recommend doing it with the help of some of the aids available such as the e-cigarette mentioned above, nicotine patches, gum or inhalers etc.

Aitch

• 2 months later...

Severe loss of revenue!!

Has anyone any other notions as to why Thailand is trying to restrict the sale of Electronic cigarettes? The Newspaper called "The Nation" recently had an article that warned against the use of these devices citing a study made by a Mahidol University dental school researcher called Dr Varanant Buejeap. In ti it explains that the study revealed that:

Using electronic cigarettes to quit smoking is hazardous to your health and nervous system. They cram too much nicotine into your blood. Mahidol University dental school researcher Dr Varanant Buejeap says electronic cigarettes contain nicotine and 28 carcinogenic substances, such as alkaloida, which releases substances that have amphetaminelike effects.What could happen

This increases blood pressure and lipids in blood vessels. This makes the heart work harder and can lead to heart failure and sexual dysfunction.

She said nicotine released by the electronic cigarette is absorbed into blood vessels faster than regular cigarettes and will stay in the body longer than nicotine chewing gum.

So, the electronic cigarette is not recommended as a tool to quit smoking.

"It is better to just stop smoking or do not smoke an electronic cigarette if you are using nicotine gum. They will not help much. Instead it will cause lung, liver and mouth cancers," she said.

But the article does not link to the study directly and all mails to the staff at the univeristy have gone unanswered. The study itself appears to contain false egrigious information about the dangers of "e-smoking" In the article also, you will notice that it pormotes the use of nicotine-gum as a safe alternative. Now I know that a professor in thailand named Yongyuth Tundulawessa has coppy-writed his own nicotine gum called nicomild-2 and is the gum that is marketed to thai people. does anyone think there is a connection? has anyone ever heard of Dr Varanant Buejeap? her name is not listed anywhere outside of the nations's article.

Has anyone ran into difficulty trying to buy an electronic cigarette?

All help would be appreciated, thanks.

here is the article by the nation http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/08/25...al_30081338.php

This seems an interesting alternative. So where can we buy them?

I guess the Dr's name is spelled, วรนันธ์ บัวจีบ, if someone can read the articles, google has lots of them.

For gawds sake !!

Just quit the death sticks and stop being a burden on the health system and your loved ones.

Weakwilled nicotine addicts. No better than yabba or heroin addicts...

I might be wrong here Hagler, but you come across as a reformed smoker (see my post above). Those who have never smoked, don't usually come across so aniti!

Aitch

For gawds sake !!

Just quit the death sticks and stop being a burden on the health system and your loved ones.

I might be wrong here Hagler, but you come across as a reformed smoker (see my post above). Those who have never smoked, don't usually come across so aniti!

Aitch

Thirty years ago I smoked (cigarettes) like a chimney, but I never really thought of myself as a cigarette smoker 'per se'

I quit cigarettes overnight and took up cigars. That was fine until I almost got to smoking them as a chain smoker does cigarettes.

I haven't had a cigar now for more than a year "but boy I am tempted at times" Maybe today will be the day. :o

For gawds sake !!

Aitch

Nope sorry. Just think that smokers are just loser druggies like the rest of the substance abusers in the world.

For gawds sake !!

Aitch

Nope sorry. Just think that smokers are just loser druggies like the rest of the substance abusers in the world.

Pleased to see a man without sin casting the first stone. So you obviously don't drink, you are not overweight and don't eat any junk food, as such you will never be a burden on health services or loved ones with the likes of heart disease, cancer, diabetes or Alzheimers.

in fact you have no vices openly nor hidden. Whats more you don't have any interest in bars and P4P of course, and you certainly do not have a predilection to under aged persons. You are of course married and have never been divorced, and most importantly you are not hooked on Thai soap operas. Congratulations Gandhi.

For gawds sake !!

Aitch

What about the substance enjoyers? Case usually less legal the better.

For gawds sake !!

Aitch

Pleased to see a man without sin casting the first stone. So you obviously don't drink, you are not overweight and don't eat any junk food, as such you will never be a burden on health services or loved ones with the likes of heart disease, cancer, diabetes or Alzheimers.

in fact you have no vices openly nor hidden. Whats more you don't have any interest in bars and P4P of course, and you certainly do not have a predilection to under aged persons. You are of course married and have never been divorced, and most importantly you are not hooked on Thai soap operas. Congratulations Gandhi.

Thank you Sir for you wonderfully accurate summation of my lifestyle. Well all except for the Gandhi bit cause I would never be seen dead in a dress being a male. Thanks again and you have a great day.

As one fiendishly addicted (and with a long proud family history of cancer) I too am keenly interested in this product! I wish anyone who has tried it could fill us in? Does it "satisfy"? Cost? Any and all info will be pored over repeatedly by me...

If you go to that Wikipedia page and scroll down to the "References", number 6 has a link to an Aussie news site video about them where a few smokers offer opinions.

For gawds sake !!

Aitch

Has your membership of the Nazi party expired yet?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got a great idea, should Big Brother ever have the urge to treat cigarette addicts, and reduce Health Care costs.

Criminalise tobacco for human consumption.

Make the use of 'E-Cigarettes', gums, patches and the like, obtainable under medical supervision by prescription only.

If cigarettes were presented to any FDA for the first time today, for the purpose of human consumption, it would be of no surprise to many that the product would never reach the market.

On that basis alone, cigarettes should not be a legally obtainable product for human consumption today.

A painfully obvious fact.

I present this point of view as a smoker.

If cigarettes were suddenly illegal tomorrow (perhaps thanks to a successful massive lawsuit against the 'Tobacco Giants'), I wouldn't feel so bad about it if I could see a doctor, try these e-cigs, and control my doses to an eventual zero point, or perhaps just as an adjunct to a party or a glass of wine.

Perhaps Tobacco smokers will be fined to having small amounts for personal use.

The savings in Health Care would easily fund such a treatment program.

Just a thought :)

• 1 month later...

I checked the net before coming to Thailand & Thai law states that it's illegal to buy or to possess ecigarettes. Surprise because Thais don't usually buy into western health fads. I can only think this ban on e-cigs is based on economics.

I love/d my e-cig, many times preferring it to a real one. But then I developed a killer cough - not only did I have congested lungs but sore throat & unpleasant "tickling" which provoked hideous coughing spasms. Maybe it was swine flu or something else. I stopped the e-cig and went back to regulars. Now am much better & just tried my e-cig yesterday. Irritated throat and coughing ensued. Hmmm.... Maybe I'm allergic? Has anyone else had this problem? Ideas?

One neat thing: I discovered a new use for the ecig while I was sick. I made a fluval filter & wiped a small amount of white tiger balm on it - stuck it in and used water for the atomiser. Felt fantastic & much more fun than huddling over a bowl of steaming water with a towel over my head!

There is a good online shop to sell electronic cigarette in china:

trueman-ecig dot com, they support online shopping.really good.

Yea, it all sounds rather good, but once these E - Fags are brought into Thailand, how does one obtain the refill cartridges if they can`t be purchased here in Thailand?

Does this mean having to wait about a month for a smoke while the re-fills are being delivered?

4 years ago I managed to give up the wed for 3 years by using the patches and chewing gum. Oh boy, was this expensive, plus I became addited to the gum, so the urge for that intake of nicotine never went away. 1 year ago like a pratt, I started smoking again.

So if anyone wishes to slag me off, please go ahead, I will not disagree with you.

These E cigs sound like a great idea and are a must for us born again smokers.

Edited by sassienie