หองสมุด

Lithobid

I am making a guess here. I found the word "สมุดไทย" in the Matichon dictionary and subsequently in the RID. Here is the entry from the RID:

สมุดไทย น. สมุดที่ทําด้วยกระดาษข่อยแผ่นยาว ๆ หน้าแคบ พับทาง ขวางทบกลับไปกลับมาคล้ายผ้าจีบ เป็นสมุดเล่มสี่เหลี่ยม ผืนผ้า มีทั้งชนิดกระดาษขาวและกระดาษดํา

saL mootL thaiM, a noun meaning a book made from a long, narrow strip of paper made from the "khoi" shrub. The paper is lded back and forth like Chinese cloth to become a rectangular volume. Some are made of white paper, others are made of black paper.

My guess is that ancient Thai books were not like European books made of leather, the "หนัง" in "หนังสือ" but where these folded volumes. Therefore, ancient libraries filled with these compiled volumes were called ห้องสมุด, not ห้องหนังสือ. [The earliest libraries in the Middle East consisted of cuniform tablets; in Alexandria the libraries were composed of scrolls.]

Can anyone confirm or have another opinion?

Edited by DavidHouston

I would agree that the traditional Thai text was recorded on a สมุด and not a western style book. It was not that long ago that all government records were kept in those ubiquitous black marbled notebooks. Which leads to the equally interesting question of from where did the word หนังสือ for book derive?

I am making a guess here. I found the word "สมุดไทย" in the Matichon dictionary and subsequently in the RID. Here is the entry from the RID:

สมุดไทย น. สมุดที่ทําด้วยกระดาษข่อยแผ่นยาว ๆ หน้าแคบ พับทาง ขวางทบกลับไปกลับมาคล้ายผ้าจีบ เป็นสมุดเล่มสี่เหลี่ยม ผืนผ้า มีทั้งชนิดกระดาษขาวและกระดาษดํา

saL mootL thaiM, a noun meaning a book made from a long, narrow strip of paper made from the "khoi" shrub. The paper is lded back and forth like Chinese cloth to become a rectangular volume. Some are made of white paper, others are made of black paper.

My guess is that ancient Thai books were not like European books made of leather, the "หนัง" in "หนังสือ" but where these folded volumes. Therefore, ancient libraries filled with these compiled volumes were called ห้องสมุด, not ห้องหนังสือ. [The earliest libraries in the Middle East consisted of cuniform tablets; in Alexandria the libraries were composed of scrolls.]

Can anyone confirm or have another opinion?

David,

very much so. Have you seen the monks when reading the original Pali text of the 'scriptures' it is written on a wood-like substance not that far from papyrus and folded back and forth.

I often used to wonder why we refer to books and especially knives as LEM เล่ม until i realized that in old sword foundaries swords and knives were made by 'folding' the metal over and over again to attain a maximum number of layers and hardness thus creating the lem, as in the book. I believe the same applies to candles too as they are (or used to be) made up of several layers of wax.

Just idling, fun anyway

AjarnP

The nice thing about being able to read a little bit of Thai is I can now google stuff in Thai. If you google ห้องสมุด ห้องหน้งสือ you'll get a bevy of possibilities, including this link:

http://topicstock.pantip.com/library/topic...9/K4392769.html

The bad thing about being able to read a little bit of Thai is I can only make out enough in that link to whet my appetite to continue learning more Thai.

I got an answer for u na ka but it's in Thai, cos i asked from the Thai Lang. Guru and i dnt think i could translate it well [means I'm lazy haaa!!!]. He said "คำว่า "สมุด" กับ "หนังสือ" ตามความเข้าใจของคนไทยปัจจุบันนั้นมีความหมายแยกกัน โดยเข้าใจว่า "สมุด" ใช้เขียน "หนังสือ" ใช้อ่าน ด้วยเหตุนี้จึงเกิดข้อสงสัยว่าทำไมจึงเรียกว่า "ห้องสมุด" ไม่เรียกว่า "ห้องหนังสือ" เพราะสิ่งที่เก็บอยู่ในห้องนี้ล้วนแต่เป็นหนังสือทั้งสิ้น

ขอทำความเข้าใจเบื้องต้นกันก่อนว่า "สมุด" นั้น"แต่เดิม"เราหมายถึงกระดาษที่ทำเป็นเล่ม แต่ "หนังสือ" เดิมหมายถึงเครื่องหมายที่ใช้เขียนแทนคำพูด หรือลายลักษณ์อักษร ด้วยเหตุนี้การบันทึกข้อความใด ๆ ลงในกระดาษ ไม่ว่าจะเป็นการเขียนหรือการตีพิมพ์จึงเป็นการ เขียน "หนังสือ" ลงใน "สมุด"

สถานที่ที่เก็บหนังสือของหลวงก็เรียกว่า "หอพระสมุด" แล้วเมื่อต่อมามี "หอสมุด" จนกระทั่งกลายเป็น "ห้องสมุด" นั้น เราก็ยังคงรักษาความหมายของคำ "สมุด" ที่หมายถึงกระดาษที่ทำเป็นเล่มและได้มีการบันทึกข้อความไว้ในเล่มนั้น ตลอดมา"

By. kun ปิยะพงษ์ โพธิ์เย็น นักวรรณศิลป์ ๔ ...

ANy question ?

Edited by thithi

I got an answer for u na ka but it's in Thai, cos i asked from the Thai Lang. Guru and i dnt think i could translate it well [means I'm lazy haaa!!!]. He said "คำว่า "สมุด" กับ "หนังสือ" ตามความเข้าใจของคนไทยปัจจุบันนั้นมีความหมายแยกกัน โดยเข้าใจว่า "สมุด" ใช้เขียน "หนังสือ" ใช้อ่าน ด้วยเหตุนี้จึงเกิดข้อสงสัยว่าทำไมจึงเรียกว่า "ห้องสมุด" ไม่เรียกว่า "ห้องหนังสือ" เพราะสิ่งที่เก็บอยู่ในห้องนี้ล้วนแต่เป็นหนังสือทั้งสิ้น

ขอทำความเข้าใจเบื้องต้นกันก่อนว่า "สมุด" นั้น"แต่เดิม"เราหมายถึงกระดาษที่ทำเป็นเล่ม แต่ "หนังสือ" เดิมหมายถึงเครื่องหมายที่ใช้เขียนแทนคำพูด หรือลายลักษณ์อักษร ด้วยเหตุนี้การบันทึกข้อความใด ๆ ลงในกระดาษ ไม่ว่าจะเป็นการเขียนหรือการตีพิมพ์จึงเป็นการ เขียน "หนังสือ" ลงใน "สมุด"

สถานที่ที่เก็บหนังสือของหลวงก็เรียกว่า "หอพระสมุด" แล้วเมื่อต่อมามี "หอสมุด" จนกระทั่งกลายเป็น "ห้องสมุด" นั้น เราก็ยังคงรักษาความหมายของคำ "สมุด" ที่หมายถึงกระดาษที่ทำเป็นเล่มและได้มีการบันทึกข้อความไว้ในเล่มนั้น ตลอดมา"

By. kun ปิยะพงษ์ โพธิ์เย็น นักวรรณศิลป์ ๔ ...

ANy question ?

ThiThi,

Thank you for your efforts, they seem to confirm David's hypothesis, which leads me to Johpa's question of when did หนังส์อ arrise and I would have to guess around the time scrolls, or folded cloth dictation was bound into leather back books. Though was the term invented or borrowed from another part of the language, I don't know.

Thanks for all your answers.

Lithobid

we didnt use the leather but Khoi; a kind of leaves

and since King of Sukhothai, we found the thai alphabets on the stone inscription.

so หนังสือ cant be someething made from leather ....

in past หนังสือ meant symbols or alphabets we write then we call Writing as การเขียนหนังสือ

so we use the word หนังสือ for Book

ห้องสมุด is kind of an old word, and we dnt change the way we call it at the time we got the new word for หนังสือ

Edited by thithi

Is it possible animal skins were used to write on in the past; or maybe people thought the structure of paper looked similar to skin, hence the word หนัง is part of หนังสือ?

Maybe it is not significant that the word หนังสือ contains หนัง? I don't know. Also, the thought struck me that possibly, สือ is related (i.e. the words were once the same but have had a tone separation) to the word สื่อ as in สื่อสาร 'to communicate' or สื่อมวลชน 'mass media'?

That way you would have a possible initial meaning of หนังสื่อ, 'communication skin' / 'medium skin'.

Note that these are all just guesses from me, so do not take them for facts.

They may be completely wrong.

Is it possible animal skins were used to write on in the past; or maybe people thought the structure of paper looked similar to skin, hence the word หนัง is part of หนังสือ?

Maybe it is not significant that the word หนังสือ contains หนัง? I don't know. Also, the thought struck me that possibly, สือ is related (i.e. the words were once the same but have had a tone separation) to the word สื่อ as in สื่อสาร 'to communicate' or สื่อมวลชน 'mass media'?

That way you would have a possible initial meaning of หนังสื่อ, 'communication skin' / 'medium skin'.

Note that these are all just guesses from me, so do not take them for facts.

They may be completely wrong.

well there might be possible. no proof in here tho. but หนังสือ is def. from the another language, we borrowed.

หนังสื่อ is not the same .. หนัง can mean Movie and it's a kind of media.

as we thai always say ไปดูหนัง ... go to the movie.

From "ภาษาไทยวันละคำ ฉบับรวมเล่ม", กาญจนา นาคสกุล และณะ, pg 744 ["A Word a Day in Thai, the Consolidated Version", by Kanchana Naksakul and Associates, page 744]

คำว่า หนังสือ ประกอบด้วยคำว่า "หนัง" กับ "สือ" ที่มาของคำนี้ยังไม่ทราบกันแน่ชัด คำว่า "หนัง" โดยทั่วไปหมายถึง ส่วนของร่างก่ายที่ห่อหุ้มเนื้อ ส่วน "สือ" มีผู้สันนิษฐานว่าตรงกับภาษาจีนกลาง "จื้อ" แปลว่า "อักษร" แต่บางคนสันนิษฐาน "สือ" อาจตรงกับ "จือ" ในภาษาไทยถิ่นเหนือและภาษาลาว แปลว่า "จดจำ" "หนังสือ" จึงอาจสันนิษฐานว่าหมายถึง "แผนหนังที่มีตัวอักษร" หรือ "แผนหนังที่มีตัวอักษร" หรือแผนหนังที่บันทึกเรื่องไว้ให้จดจำ

The word "หนังสือ" is composed of the two monosyllabic expressions "หนัง" กับ "สือ". The origin of this word is not known for certain. The syllable "หนัง" in general parlance means that portion of the body which wraps around the muscles. As for the syllable "สือ", there are those who speculate that it means the same as the Mandarin Chinese word "จื้อ" which means "alphabetic character". However, others theorize that the syllable "สือ" is derived from "จอ" from the Northern Thai dialect and from Laotian. This word (in those languages) means "to remember (something)". We can speculate, then that the complete word, "หนังสือ", "a piece of leather which has writing on it" or a strip of leather on which one makes a notion in order to commit it to memory."

This is very interesting, if one believes the last interpretation: a book on which one makes notes, or a "notebook." We have now come full circle such that "หนังสือ" may mean the same thing as "สมุด".

Edited by DavidHouston

From "ภาษาไทยวันละคำ ฉบับรวมเล่ม", กาญจนา นาคสกุล และณะ, pg 744 ["A Word a Day in Thai, the Consolidated Version", by Kanchana Naksakul and Associates, page 744]

คำว่า หนังสือ ประกอบด้วยคำว่า "หนัง" กับ "สือ" ที่มาของคำนี้ยังไม่ทราบกันแน่ชัด คำว่า "หนัง" โดยทั่วไปหมายถึง ส่วนของร่างก่ายที่ห่อหุ้มเนื้อ ส่วน "สือ" มีผู้สันนิษฐานว่าตรงกับภาษาจีนกลาง "จื้อ" แปลว่า "อักษร" แต่บางคนสันนิษฐาน "สือ" อาจตรงกับ "จือ" ในภาษาไทยถิ่นเหนือและภาษาลาว แปลว่า "จดจำ" "หนังสือ" จึงอาจสันนิษฐานว่าหมายถึง "แผนหนังที่มีตัวอักษร" หรือ "แผนหนังที่มีตัวอักษร" หรือแผนหนังที่บันทึกเรื่องไว้ให้จดจำ

The word "หนังสือ" is composed of the two monosyllabic expressions "หนัง" กับ "สือ". The origin of this word is not known for certain. The syllable "หนัง" in general parlance means that portion of the body which wraps around the muscles. As for the syllable "สือ", there are those who speculate that it means the same as the Mandarin Chinese word "จื้อ" which means "alphabetic character". However, others theorize that the syllable "สือ" is derived from "จอ" from the Northern Thai dialect and from Laotian. This word (in those languages) means "to remember (something)". We can speculate, then that the complete word, "หนังสือ", "a piece of leather which has writing on it" or a strip of leather on which one makes a notion in order to commit it to memory."

This is very interesting, if one believes the last interpretation: a book on which one makes notes, or a "notebook." We have now come full circle such that "หนังสือ" may mean the same thing as "สมุด".

i couldnt agree more.. thanks for more explainations :o