Can You Help Me Identify This Thai Dessert?

webworldly

Hi! :-)

What is the name of this dessert that I frequently see made by street vendors.......they take a base that sort of looks like a very thin piece of fortune cookie (sorry, I know that isn't Thai....but it's the only way I know to describe it).....then they put a white cream in the center of it....then they add some orange shreds of something....then the fold it over and serve it.

I know that isn't much to go off of.....but can you help identify what it's called?

Also....what's the normal street price for this....and how many "pieces" of it should you get for that price?

Thank you very much....in advance. :-)

CHEERS!

D

Edited by webworldly

Hey! anyone know about this new natural sweetener from stevia leaves as sugar substitute(50% less calories) branded "greensweet", can be used for cooking, baking and also hot&cold beverages. i found it at Villa Market ---> good to try and good for your health too especially anyone who want to reduce sugar intake by not using chemical like aspartame.

KittyCat ;-)

Hey Namwan.....I saw that, too....at Villa Market. Check the ingredients....if I recall correctly it is over 95% sugar (maltodextrin) and less than 5% Stevia. If so, that's something to consider if you're sugar sensitive.

Good luck to you. :-)

CHEERS!

D

Howdy Webworldly,

Here is a photo of them making what I think may be what you are talking about.They will put anything that you ask into it that they have.It is a batter that is spread onto the cooking surface then ingredents are placed on it then it is rolled or folded.Is this it?

post-14263-1213918673_thumb.jpg

Howdy Webworldly,

Here is a photo of them making what I think may be what you are talking about.They will put anything that you ask into it that they have.It is a batter that is spread onto the cooking surface then ingredents are placed on it then it is rolled or folded.Is this it?

I think it rather this !!!

What you refere to is a crepe !

khanombuang_01.jpg

Thank you, "blue eyes"......and "who, me". Your pictures made me hungry! :-)

The second pic......from blue eyes.......that's the item I've been wondering about. WOOHOO!!! I thought the white creamy stuff was marshmallow....but an earlier poster informed me that it is coconut cream.

These go for about 2baht apiece, right?

In terms of desserts........are they very popular with Thai people?

CHEERS!

D

Hey Donna......thank you for the laugh!! :-)

Because they are so yummy.....I would think they are indeed popular with Thais and foreigners alike. But, that said.....I only see one cart selling them anywhere between Bumrungrad and Sukhumvit 10. That's a big area...and for most other foods there are many different vendors. For the tasty lil' crepes, however....there's only one. And he's never busy when I'm walking by.

Any idea why?

CHEERS!

D

Hey Donna......thank you for the laugh!! :-)

Because they are so yummy.....I would think they are indeed popular with Thais and foreigners alike. But, that said.....I only see one cart selling them anywhere between Bumrungrad and Sukhumvit 10. That's a big area...and for most other foods there are many different vendors. For the tasty lil' crepes, however....there's only one. And he's never busy when I'm walking by.

Any idea why?

CHEERS!

D

not sure if they are an evening thing or not? could be that?

Hey Phetchal.....thank you for the information! Wow....I sure was wrong about it being made with marshmallow, eh? Lol!!

That's a great Thai food blog by the way......is it yours?

CHEERS!

D

hi that 's not my blog just search from google

the white topping made from the white of an egg and coconut-palm sugar

the yellow topping made from egg yolk

the orange topping made from coconut meat

and they are popular with Thais but it's not easy to learn how to make a nice Crispy Pancakes

• 3 weeks later...