Home Made Tortillas

Ratsima

For some reason I got really hungry for Mexican food today. Can't find tortillas or most of the other ingredients around here so I thought I'd roll my own.

gallery_62962_925_14031.jpg

Nothing but flour, oil, salt and a little water. Knead a bit and roll out quite thin.

gallery_62962_925_20398.jpg

Cook on medium heat in a frying pan until it bubbles up and you see some brown bits.

gallery_62962_925_31155.jpg

Filling is leftover charcoal grilled pork loin and grated cheese with salsa made from tomato, onion, salt, ground pepper, lime juice and one prik chii faa, roasted and chopped.

gallery_62962_925_17710.jpg

Maybe not genuine, but delicious just the same.

Terrific!

What brand of flour did you use? Regular vegetable oil? How much?

How did it taste? Would lard taste better? (oh, nevermind that, I forgot about my cholesterol problem just then :o

Looks really good. Thanks for the pics.

I just used ordinary all-purpose flour and soy bean cooking oil. Any oil would probably do, and, yes, lard would taste better! But, you want tortillas to be kind of neutral so as not to overshadow the flavor of the fillings.

I'm going to quesadillas for lunch today with the two that I have left.

Tortillas are really simple to make, regular all-purpose flour, some water and any light vegetable oil will do, but just a few drops. too much oil and the tortilla comes out cakey. Also, I use a non-stick pan with no oil -- you are not frying the tortilla but rather baking it on an open pan--a cast iron griddle would be best but non-stick works ok too.

You want your dough to be soft, but not wet-- if it feels too wet add more flour.

What kind of beans will you use? Know the Thai name? I've been looking and haven't found anything suitable....

Pinto Beans * sold in a number of Thai grocer outlets, I have seen the dried beans in Thai fresh food markets (open air) sold in small bags - maybe 200 gram servings?

In Pattaya the Indian grocers shop next to the temple on Soi 17, near the school, stock them.

* Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_bean#P...r_mottled_beans

And... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refried_beans

HTH

Can you estimate the ingredient amounts for a recipe for those tortillas? I know it will vary because flour is just unpredictable that way, but a general guide for the flour-salt-oil-water proportions would be really welcome at my house. I can taste the burrito now...beans, cheese, sour cream, tomato, home made taco sauce...mmm.

I have bought pinto beans, I think at Lotus in Korat.

Can you estimate the ingredient amounts for a recipe for those tortillas? I know it will vary because flour is just unpredictable that way, but a general guide for the flour-salt-oil-water proportions would be really welcome at my house. I can taste the burrito now...beans, cheese, sour cream, tomato, home made taco sauce...mmm.

I have bought pinto beans, I think at Lotus in Korat.

Try this: One and a half cups of flour, two tablespoons of oil or lard, one half teaspoon of salt (more to taste) and a half a cup of warm water. But, add the water a very little bit at a time. I bet you won't need a full half cup.

I looked all over for pinto beans today and ended up buying black beans. I will try a Mexican meal tomorrow evening. Beans soaking now.

(Cathy, are you the Cathy who posts on Korat Farang?)

I think chapatis have a little yeast in the dough while tortillas are unleavened. Same concept, though.

A kind of all purpose wrap, I suppose.

Do you reckon that the nan have the yeast rather than the chapatis? A good nan can be great, but often too doughy.

The Americans are much more knowledgable on the mexican food side. Would anyone care to give a basic rundown of how to do it for the ignorant Brits (like me). If I went to food land and got hold of the tacos, and salsa to put together - what type of available cream / yoghurt would do the job best? Got some onions, peppers and chicken with a bit of sauce (what type?) to put in the chapatis (I can but them from Villa) then would that be a passable Fajitas?

I think chapatis have a little yeast in the dough while tortillas are unleavened. Same concept, though.

A kind of all purpose wrap, I suppose.

Do you reckon that the nan have the yeast rather than the chapatis? A good nan can be great, but often too doughy.

- what type of available cream / yoghurt would do the job best? ?

Use Sour Cream or Cream Fraiche....

Chapaties are like Tortillas... unleavened.

Nan is : 3 1/2 cups flour (Maida) 1/2 cup yogurt 1 egg 1/4 cup butter 2 tsp. salt 3 tsp. sugar 3/4 cup water 1 2/3 Tbls. yeast ...dried.

1. In a dish, take 5 Tbls. of water, add the yeast and a teaspoon of sugar and stir well. Keep aside for 10-12 minutes. (You will see bubbles on the surface of the mixture which suggests that the yeast is all right). Now, add in the remaining water, sugar, yogurt, egg, butter, and salt. Stir well.

2. Add the flour to this liquid and make into a smooth, soft, and elastic dough. (It will take about 10-15 minutes). Take a warm bowl, butter all the sides and the bottom of the bowl then place the dough in the bowl, cover with a cloth and keep in a warm place until the dough doubles in height (about 40 minutes). Push a finger into the dough. If the impression remains, then it is ready to be baked. Make the dough into 8 equal balls, flatten them into circles with your fingers such that the edges are thicker than the center. Pull one end of the circle so that the dough circle now looks like a tear drop or a balloon in two dimensions. The length is about a hand span and width about a palm.

3. Heat oven to 450F, and on a non-greased baking tray, place the dough. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

best in a tandoori of course, but then unless you are of Indian origin/descent, there wouldn't be one in the kitchen or in the yard - would it?

I'm well on my way. I ended up buying black beans. I boiled for two minutes and will soak over night. Tomorrow I'll cook for several hours and then fry (re-fry) with some bacon fat, cumin, chilies and maybe some onions. I'll server that with salsa, some grilled chicken or pork strips and, of course, home made tortillas. Yum!

Give this a try for a great taco.

Fry your ground pork/beef/chicken (whatever) with onions, garlic, black pepper, cumin, chili powder and prik kee noo. Add beans (pre soaked) of your choice. Let that simmer to meld flavors.

I like to kind of mush up the beans with a fork after they've cooked a while.

Take your tortilla and place some meat mixture over one half....then put some cheese on top of the meat.

Now fold the tortilla into the familiar taco shape.

Place your taco in a pan containing a few tablespoons of vegetable oil...medium heat. Don't be afraid to add too much oil....you want it to be enough to crisp up the tortilla.

Fry the taco shell till crispy, turn and fry both sides (takes just a minute, be careful not to burn.

The resulting crispy taco with melted cheese is awesome, topped with lettuce, chopped tomato, lots of cilantro and sour cream.

The meat can be cool when added to the tortilla before frying.It will warm sufficiently and the cheese will melt as you fry. I make a big batch and pre chop/slice my toppings and put them in tupperware containers. Then I set up my "Taco Bar" like an assembly line.

Mucho delicioso :o

Edited by pumpuiman

I have used this tortilla recipe a few times, and they came out good.

3 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

4-6 Tbsp. shortening

about 1 cup warm water

Kneed the dough for a few minutes

pull off pieces to form about 12 balls

let them rest for at least ten min.

roll out and cook

Try this: One and a half cups of flour, two tablespoons of oil or lard, one half teaspoon of salt (more to taste) and a half a cup of warm water. But, add the water a very little bit at a time. I bet you won't need a full half cup.

I looked all over for pinto beans today and ended up buying black beans. I will try a Mexican meal tomorrow evening. Beans soaking now.

(Cathy, are you the Cathy who posts on Korat Farang?)

Thanks, I'll try that. Yep, it's me.

Drove into Lotus Korat this morning. Couldn't find pinto beans. But, my black beans are coming along fine. After a short (2 minute) boil yesterday evening I soaked them overnight. Cooked for about an hour this morning. They're nice and soft. Will re-fry later today.

If you can find some lard that's the right stuff for making refried beans.

I'm old enough to remember cakes and piecrusts made with lard, before the days of them trying to kill us off with those trans-fats in shortening. Let me tell you, no shortening ever made a piecrust as tender and flaky, or a cake as light in texture, as lard. I think I'll be looking for some next time I shop. FWIW, the steep rise in heart disease in the US corresponds to the disuse of butter and lard and the use of hydrogenated fats in the form of shortening and margarine.

Edited by cathyy

If you can find some lard that's the right stuff for making refried beans.

I'm old enough to remember cakes and piecrusts made with lard, before the days of them trying to kill us off with those trans-fats in shortening. Let me tell you, no shortening ever made a piecrust as tender and flaky, or a cake as light in texture, as lard. I think I'll be looking for some next time I shop. FWIW, the steep rise in heart disease in the US corresponds to the disuse of butter and lard and the use of hydrogenated fats in the form of shortening and margarine.

All correct. Lard is what makes real Mexican food taste so good! :o