Coffee Lovers

Sathip2008

"Thinking of Turkish coffee, there is a great place just at the top of the wide steps diagonally opposite Central Kad Suan Kaew."

I agree, the REAL Turkish Coffee is fantastic and the owner is a lovely guy. Regular espresso and cappuccino sucks though.

:o

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Specialty Coffee Shop seems to be easily found around chiangmai.

However a real perfect place would rather be rare.

I love to hang around those coffees and try to have a descent espresso / or latte, then I have just figure out where ever the coffee is originated from Hillkoff, Bon Cafe, Aroma or doi Chaang most of them would be local arabica from hills around this area.

The threats really just differ by the roster. Not really what i would call making a difference in the products.

To tell the truth I have just miss those south american coffee, the guatemala or panama. and real jamaican blue mountain.

and if i could put to my christmas wish list is to have a peaceful slip of the hawaiian kona.

Can anyone guide me to THE right place?

Well... :o

I just wanted to promote that very good place because I live in the neighborhood and I go there at least twice a week with my gf. The owners are nice people ....

As a newbie myself, what I don't understand is that they say you've only made" two or three posts", that this is your "second post, the first having been made six minutes earlier"

Yet your profile calls you a Senior Member having joined six months ago and posted 161 posts!! Where am I going wrong? What am I missing? But, whatever,thanks for the coffee plug.

Edited by Asmerom

Chiang Doi? coffee is very nice... there is a shop on the road to mae sai which always tastes great after a few hours in the saddle...

also you can buy fresh beans and make yer own if you nip over to 'flight of the gibbon'... all coffee bushes there...

Hillkoff coffee... lol. thats a transliteration of my surname, what are the odds!

img0636gv7.jpg

cfjo2.jpg

Edited by UKWEBPRO

Well... :o

I just wanted to promote that very good place because I live in the neighborhood and I go there at least twice a week with my gf. The owners are nice people ....

As a newbie myself, what I don't understand is that they say you've only made" two or three posts", that this is your "second post, the first having been made six minutes earlier"

Yet your profile calls you a Senior Member having joined six months ago and posted 161 posts!! Where am I going wrong? What am I missing? But, whatever,thanks for the coffee plug.

The posts in which mention is made of him being a newbie with few posts were posted in June. The profile that you are looking at describes his status today, which is six months later.

Edited by Rasseru

• 5 months later...
If you like a good (and cheap) cup of coffee, I recommend a place called "PERFECT BLEND". It's on Changkhlan Rd, in the Soi opposite the Kasikorn Bank.

The guy selects and roasts his own coffee beans.

Enjoy :D

Despite your being a mere newbie with only three posts, you take the trouble to promote yourself or a friend -- I mean, to provide us with such helpful information for our benefit -- that's just soooo sweet of you! :)

Why not move on. We get it.You liked a restaurant. the topic got closed. Try and restart your life however dismal it may be. Obsession is bad in most forms.

I wouldnt bring up another old thread with you acting strangely. OOPs :D

Getting good info on coffee shops (how different are they in Amsterdam :) ) Is an important issue because I think the prices like Starbucks is earning bucks for the chain owners. I mean asking more than 80 baht for a cup of miserable coffee that really cost about 10 baht (Including Everything!!) is outragious.

Getting good info on coffee shops (how different are they in Amsterdam :) ) Is an important issue because I think the prices like Starbucks is earning bucks for the chain owners. I mean asking more than 80 baht for a cup of miserable coffee that really cost about 10 baht (Including Everything!!) is outragious.

everyone likes coffee.............. coffee boys,........coffeee in a restaurant........ cofffeee enemas,

rustle upur opinions.

ive snorfted plenty of coffeeee out my nose. I love coff.......... auch Im dying. Some release.

I have a question: Why are espresso machines so expensive? Like 20K, 30K and even higher? Many cost more than motorcycles..

Any good deals around on a more affordable espresso machine?

I got a DeLonghi on sale for about seven thousands-ish at Emporium.  Good for personal use. 

I've read a lot of review http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer  and found that you really should invest on a good machine otherwise it will drive the owner crazy. 

Edited by Maccheroncini

Winnie, if you're interested I have a manual espresso machine and a coffee bean grinder for sale, used only 20-30 times - then I got a super deal on a second hand automatic one which I am now using. (With a manual it means your own skills come into play, so to get good coffee will be a learning process. With an automatic they don't. On the other hand, an automatic generally doesn't achieve the same perfection that's possible with a manual one.)

I also know a man in town who sells fairly inexpensive automatic ones. I won't advertise but anyone interested can PM me for his details.

Just had to add my 2 bhat worth here :D

"Perfect Blend" is IMHO one of the best here in CM. And "yes" I can count the owner, Khun Wong, and his family good friends. So I'm biased :)

He had been in the mgmt/service end of the restaurant biz before. Did his homework on opening the coffee shop and happy to see it is a success.

Its not just us foreigners that like our coffee the Thais are huge consumers of the stuff second only to chiang i suspect, i am amazed at the many many coffee shops in Thailand city's, vilages, gas stations, etc, im a tea drinker in the mornings but do get the occasional yearning for a good hit from a cup of coffee in the afternoon i will be trying the OPs recomendation as soon as the urge returns and im in the city.

Just one dislike and that is why oh why so many times do you get a cup of coffee in such a small cup the size of a thimble that is only half filled and to add isult to injury instead of milk they supply creamer the coffee is not that hot and on the occasions i have used the creamer ( I now ask for milk) it has just curdled in to a slop trying to stir it in using one of those plastic stirrers they supply just don't work.

Edited by tigerbalm

I have a question: Why are espresso machines so expensive? Like 20K, 30K and even higher? Many cost more than motorcycles..

Any good deals around on a more affordable espresso machine?

How does 6,435 baht sound? http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=379

I've had mine for nearly 2 years and love it. I daresay paying 30,000+ baht might get you a slightly better/sexier-looking machine, but (even as a long-time coffee freak), I'm very happy with this model - and it's on a promotional price right now.

I recently started to get a blockage in the supplied 2-cup "basket" (combination of scale and congealed coffee oils build-up, I think) and had to use the supplied 1-cup version. Thanks to advice from Khun Wong at Perfect Blend and use of "Kofex" cleaner from the Chang Phuek Hillkoff store he recommended, I'm now back in business.

As per last year's post, I still get my dark and medium roast beans from the excellent Perfect Blend and blend them to taste before use.

Well, the times they are a changing~

Forbes.com The source of this story.

Starbucks

Specialty: Coffee

2008 closings: 600 (9% of total)

Outlook: Trapped in a consumer trade-down that has customers buying their java at McDonald's and Dunkin' Donuts, expect Starbucks to close hundreds more of its stores. Being the high-priced alternative doesn't pay right now.

I got some very nice and very cheap coffee in Laos. It is like going on a pilgrimage for me. In Mae Salong now one of the tea growers has converted some land into a coffee plantation. The product was ok but not outstanding.

Would it be possible to get a map showing the coffee shop mentioned by the OP for out of town people. Plus some info on good outlets. Like some other poster I would prefer coffee "cdo" like it is with Italian Olive oil or wine. I know the area produces some fine beans and I would not mind to make sure that I buy from them when I stock pile supplies. In other parts of Thailand the supermarkets have almost no choice if one wants to purchase 100% Arabica coffee (non-blended).

So maybe more people like me have no problems to spend 1-2 K on a good supply that will last for some time until the next visit. The shopkeeper or cooperative will certainly be happy about the extra business.

Dammm, you guys are funny! :):D:D

Imagine getting upset over someone else's tastes, interests or beverage of choice!

I'm not really a coffee lover, but I've come to enjoy a few different blends. I think it's more about the smell than the actual taste. I will drink Irish cream coffee blend by choice, but the aroma is a bit different than the flavour.

At home I just drink tea, but one flavoured with a slight raspberry extract. In Thailand I mostly drink water with a touch of the Thai lime... I think it's pronounced Min-Ow.

Its not just us foreigners that like our coffee the Thais are huge consumers of the stuff second only to chiang i suspect, i am amazed at the many many coffee shops in Thailand city's, vilages, gas stations, etc,

I wonder, though... have Thai tastes changed recently? Fifteen years ago, the coffee scene in Chiang Mai was truly pathetic. Ask for a coffee and surely you would get a cup of instant stuff with loads of powdered creamer and sugar on the side, which the Thais would use copiously. So called "fresh" coffee (actually brewed) was a rarity. Around 10 years ago (or so?) the scene started to kick off. Duang Dee seemingly led the way, and places like Auchon were selling imported, whole beans that you could grind and brew yourself. And all that eventually led to the ubiquitous coffee shops that we see today.

Maybe I'm wrong, and certainly there are people here who will correct me if I am, but if the Thais are drinking truly great coffee such as that found at Perfect Blend, Cafe Libernard, Love at First Bite, the coffee stand across the street from Starbucks at the night bazaar, the new coffee place at the Hmong village at Doi Pui, etc., it has been a sea change in taste for them.

I think that most Thais - and for that matter most farangs - can not tell different types of coffee apart. They are told that only "stupid", "low class" people drink "bad" coffee, so they drink Starbucks to make sure that they are in fashion. Some supposed coffee experts claim that Starbacks is terrible too, although it tastes fine to me.

The same goes for expensive whiskeys; Most people can not tell them from cheap ones, but they will pay a lot to impress others.

People really can be stupid sometimes.

I think that most Thais - and for that matter most farangs - can not tell different types of coffee apart. They are told that only "stupid", "low class" people drink "bad" coffee, so they drink Starbucks to make sure that they are in fashion. Some supposed coffee experts claim that Starbacks is terrible too, although it tastes fine to me.

The same goes for expensive whiskeys; Most people can not tell them from cheap ones, but they will pay a lot to impress others.

i beg to differ ,,,, coffee,,,.... there is bitter,bad and tasty then there is the oh so elusive wonderful ... in search of the elusive all the time...

cheap burbon compared to regular burbon .. rank hangover to nectur from the gods .... "jim beam" being nectur level and still relatively cheap.

so on this one i can not agree.. but i know only burbon somewhat .no clue with other booze

Edited by gatorhead333

Its not just us foreigners that like our coffee the Thais are huge consumers of the stuff second only to chiang i suspect, i am amazed at the many many coffee shops in Thailand city's, vilages, gas stations, etc,

I wonder, though... have Thai tastes changed recently? Fifteen years ago, the coffee scene in Chiang Mai was truly pathetic. Ask for a coffee and surely you would get a cup of instant stuff with loads of powdered creamer and sugar on the side, which the Thais would use copiously. So called "fresh" coffee (actually brewed) was a rarity. Around 10 years ago (or so?) the scene started to kick off. Duang Dee seemingly led the way, and places like Auchon were selling imported, whole beans that you could grind and brew yourself. And all that eventually led to the ubiquitous coffee shops that we see today.

Maybe I'm wrong, and certainly there are people here who will correct me if I am, but if the Thais are drinking truly great coffee such as that found at Perfect Blend, Cafe Libernard, Love at First Bite, the coffee stand across the street from Starbucks at the night bazaar, the new coffee place at the Hmong village at Doi Pui, etc., it has been a sea change in taste for them.

I have to agree with you. For several years when I first came to Thailand 13 years ago the coffee was terrible and none of it was ever brewed. Instant coffee neither tastes like coffee nor does it smell like coffee. It is a drink that some people become accustomed to, but it isn't coffee. The aroma of fresh brewed GOOD coffee is intoxicating. If I'm walking in a mall where they are brewing good coffee the scent just attracts me like fresh baked bread will. I can't help myself from stopping for a cup. I believe it is that, that started the trend towards coffee shops. When there is a market then people will exploit it. You seldom see true coffee shops in one of the Thai villages or small cities, but if you visit a somewhat tourist center like Chiang Mai then there will be a market for these social gathering places.

I must admit that I'm one of those who can't tell whiskey apart--so a bottle of Sangsom goes a long way with me. Or better yet, stick with the Chang.

It's unfortunate that Thais are told about "low class" people drinking "bad" coffee, and now it makes sense why the hi-so folks like their Starbucks lattes. It might after all be a show, rather than a genuine change in Thai taste over the last 10 years.

However, when I visited a coffee plantation near Doi Wawee, the agriculture guy (a Thai) really knew his stuff on the growing and processing of the beans--naturally, much more than an amateur like me. And when visiting a processing facility near Doi Tung, I was heartened to see their quality control people using a manual burr grinder and a vacuum brew machine to do their taste testing--the marks of a real pro.

You may be right that "most" Thais can't tell the difference--but those people who are really into coffee are doing quite well with the homegrown Thai coffee industry. Critical mass has been achieved and the people here would do well to take advantage of it--more coffee tours, fewer tiger kingdoms, I say.

And what would you consider an expensive whiskey? I presume you, as an american, are talking about the Kentucky stuff? If it's Scottish or Irish, then I think most people who have actually tried an expensive one could tell it apart...

Glenfiddich, does not count as an expensive whisky.

To tell the truth I have just miss those south american coffee, the guatemala or panama ...
Yes indeed,

I remember both in Costa Rica and Panama the coffee being served in a small espresso cup with the attendant small fresh cream dispenser, all on a plate, alfresco of course, and everybody in white suits, very Hemingwayish, but I digress, :)

And what would you consider an expensive whiskey? I presume you, as an american, are talking about the Kentucky stuff? If it's Scottish or Irish, then I think most people who have actually tried an expensive one could tell it apart...

Glenfiddich, does not count as an expensive whisky.

I don't pay much attention to where whiskey comes from as it all tastes terrible to me. I've never had any that tasted even remotely "good" unless it is in a mixed drink which is designed specifically to cover the taste of the alcohol.

I will admit that some people have learned to love the stuff, but my guess is that most people feel much like I do, but would feel "unsophisticated" admitting it. :)

i beg to differ ,,,, coffee,,,.... there is bitter,bad and tasty then there is the oh so elusive wonderful ... in search of the elusive all the time...

The biggest coffee "expert" that I know in Chiang Mai writes guidebooks and does food reviews and has travelled extensively. He is a poster on Thai Visa and seems to know everything there is to know about food.

He - and other people I know that are very knowledgeable about coffee - claim that Leibernard is the best coffee in Thailand. Apparently, it is fresh roasted and fresh brewed and all of that stuff. They also say that Starbucks is terrible, and laugh at the suckers who line up for it every day.

I think that Leibernard is too strong and bitter and I don't really like it. I much prefer the coffee at the Holiday Inn buffet, although I am not sure where it comes from; Actually, Starbucks coffee tastes fine to me.

One poster on this thread mentions Love at First Bite as having excellent coffee, but they ignore Starbucks. I could be wrong about now, but in the past, Love at First Bite served Starbucks coffee.

I know that different people have different tastes, but because coffee is nothing special to me, I find it really confusing that so many people who consider themselves "experts" on coffee have such different ideas about what is good and what is not.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I find it really confusing that so many people who consider themselves "experts" on coffee have such different ideas about what is good and what is not.

It's no different than men's taste in women. Some like my son like their women big and buxom, and others of us prefer the cute butts on Issan girls.

I think that Leibernard is too strong and bitter and I don't really like it. I much prefer the coffee at the Holiday Inn buffet, although I am not sure where it comes from; Actually, Starbucks coffee tastes fine to me.

One poster on this thread mentions Love at First Bite as having excellent coffee, but they ignore Starbucks. I could be wrong about now, but in the past, Love at First Bite served Starbucks coffee.

No, sir, you are correct--Love at First Bite does serve Starbucks. But not by default! You have to specify that you want your coffee brewed with Starbucks beans, otherwise, the default is Ratika coffee, their supreme blend. And I understand that Ratika uses beans grown in the north of Thailand, though I am not sure exactly where.

That being said, I don't have anything against Starbucks coffee. Love at First Bite uses Starbucks' French roast, which happens to be my coffee of choice if going with Starbucks. I had a cappucino at Starbucks Kad Suan Kaew the other day while waiting out the rain. It was a fine cup of brew, but I wouldn't list it with the greats. I had another cappucino the next day at Perfect Blend and it was superior. Not sure what beans they are using there.

Must keep in mind though that even if the same beans are used at different places, the effect can be different. Different equipment, different baristas, different quality control, etc.

But over all, I have to agree with Mr. Forbes and his analogy, though I am probably less discerning when it comes to a_s as coffee. :)

Statistical studies have shown that the best coffee for any particular occasion is the one that tastes good to you. Drink what you like, gentlemen.