Nationwide 'service'

I have all my cash with them in bonds which I use the interest to live on here. Recently the bond ran out so I logged on, or tried to to renew it. I got myself locked out and was told when phoning the site was down and to try later. Later it was the same and they said I had entered the wrong pin 3 times so that was it-HAD to re register. This would have meant a big loss of interest by the time the new pin was posted and fowarded from the UK.

I phoned several times but felt like I was talking to robots reading the same script. At last one woman, who also told me nobody at Nationwide could unlock the account it was just not possible, did go off to check. She only did so after I threatened to take all of my savings out. When she came back she said on this occassion they would unlock it as the site had been down, but added as if I were a naughty boy that if I ever did it again they would not. So if it happens to anyone else they CAN unlock the account even though they tell you it's impossible. Cost 30 quid in phone calls and took three hours but better than losing hundreds of pounds interest.

Submit a formal complain - providing full details - times, dates, names, discussions, agreements etc - and request a good will payment for say £200 - breakdown why you want this amount - £30 phone calls, £? loss of interest, £? poor service/uncooperative staff, £? anxiety/stress, £? (be creative here). Also indicate, your lenght of membership - Nationwide is suppose to be for its members and not "share holders". Also, invesigate what you can do if you get a duff response - ie report to FSA, banking ombudsman, DTI, Local MP, who else?

Personally, I've done quite well out of banks c0ck ups over the past 2 years ! It pays to complain and threaten. I see any c0ck up now as an opportunity ! And I dont have to do anything for it to happen...

HTH

Good luck and report back with results...

<br />I have all my cash with them in bonds which I use the interest to live on here. Recently the bond ran out so I logged on, or tried to to renew it. I got myself locked out and was told when phoning the site was down and to try later. Later it was the same and they said I had entered the wrong pin 3 times so that was it-HAD to re register. This would have meant a big loss of interest by the time the new pin was posted and fowarded from the UK.<br />I phoned several times but felt like I was talking to robots reading the same script. At last one woman, who also told me nobody at Nationwide could unlock the account it was just not possible, did go off to check. She only did so after I threatened to take all of my savings out. When she came back she said on this occassion they would unlock it as the site had been down, but added as if I were a naughty boy that if I ever did it again they would not. So if it happens to anyone else they CAN unlock the account even though they tell you it's impossible. Cost 30 quid in phone calls and took three hours but better than losing hundreds of pounds interest.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I had a similar problem with the Halifax who, despite having a tax certificate for non-deduction of tax paid tax on the interest on the account to the Inalnd Revenue. After wasting 20 mins. on the telephone to them being passed around from department to department I was told that I would have to go into the branch where I opened the account to sort it out. I had already stated twice that I lived in Thailand and that that was impossible.

They then said there was nothing they could do, so now I have to sort this out which means going through my tax affairs again with the IR. I've nothing to hide but it means getting new tax certificates for all my other UK accounts, having them sent here, then completing a claim form and sending off to them. I know from previous experience that I won't get the money back for months.

What annoys me is the supercilious attitude you get from 'phone staff who seem to have answers to stock questions but who can't answer anything outside those questions. They refuse to let you speak to anyone in charge and jusy try to fob you off if they don't know the answer. Curse them.

All sounds like a sound complaint and request for goodwill payment can be made.

Some of the online message threads I have are amazing - it doesnt matter how clearly you state something, you get a canned response, which bears little relation to the original request.

Its a modern day pain in the a55, but they know they can get away with it, and most people probably dont want to work in a call centre. The systems they use make them into automatons. Bit of a vicious circle, but they will pay for appalling service. In one case I had my lost interest and a good will payment on top made, plus, through complaining, I also have some high level contacts in the organisation and an extra source of leverage for future requests.

HTH ?

I have all my cash with them in bonds which I use the interest to live on here. Recently the bond ran out so I logged on, or tried to to renew it. I got myself locked out and was told when phoning the site was down and to try later. Later it was the same and they said I had entered the wrong pin 3 times so that was it-HAD to re register. This would have meant a big loss of interest by the time the new pin was posted and fowarded from the UK.

I phoned several times but felt like I was talking to robots reading the same script. At last one woman, who also told me nobody at Nationwide could unlock the account it was just not possible, did go off to check. She only did so after I threatened to take all of my savings out. When she came back she said on this occassion they would unlock it as the site had been down, but added as if I were a naughty boy that if I ever did it again they would not. So if it happens to anyone else they CAN unlock the account even though they tell you it's impossible. Cost 30 quid in phone calls and took three hours but better than losing hundreds of pounds interest.

Thanks for that..I got my log-on wrong twice so then phoned them..they told me same..anyway with them watching I logged on successfully. I used SKYPE it only cost me a few pence.

Theres no need to pay any money for the call using several VoIP services and Nationwide 0800 no.

Altertively using one of the Finarea/Betamax services you can call Nationwides geographic nos from you 300 free mins a month. See :

http://www.backsla.sh/betamax

Does that help ?

A - no replies (expected response)

Thanks for that..I got my log-on wrong twice so then phoned them..they told me same..anyway with them watching I logged on successfully. I used SKYPE it only cost me a few pence.

Theres no need to pay any money for the call using several VoIP services and Nationwide 0800 no.

Altertively using one of the Finarea/Betamax services you can call Nationwides geographic nos from you 300 free mins a month. See :

http://www.backsla.sh/betamax

Does that help ?

A - no replies (expected response)

I am not bothered about a few quid in call charges. I did complain at new year when I arranged in the UK for a swift payment for a large amount. It never came through which I did not find out until back in Thailand. Although they claimed to have called me they never did, seems the girl at the branch made a mistake. On sending the money again a few days later it cost me another 500 quid due to the falling rate. No compensation or appology was forthcoming so not much point, they act more and more like a public company these days!

Hi

Someones got to be the devils advocate :o

Somehow I managed to loose my Nationwide flexaccount card between drawing cash out of the Kasikorn atm and walking into the bank to deposit it in my account.

Dreading the thought that I was going to have a horrendous experience in getting it cancelled I rang the helpline with some trepidation. (the helpline no is on the back of the card, so it might be an idea to make a note of it, I got it off missus card) although it must be on their website somewhere.

The phone was answered promptly, and after a few verification questions a stop was put on it immediately after I told them my last withdrawal time, place and amount.

They then arranged for a duplicate to be issued immediately, the downside being they will only mail it to your UK address in their records.

So I came away from that telephone call with a very positive impression of Nationwide.

Needless to say it did cost me money because by the time the card eventually caught up with me the rate had dived!! Still it was down to my own stupidity and no I did not waltz off and leave it in the ATM as the boss lady used the ATM immediately after me, I just suffered a senior moment!!!

TBWG :D